1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Baseball America] Astros Top Ten Prospects

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Clutch, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Baseball America updated their top 10 prospects for the Astros.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/toda...ganization-top-10-prospects/2012/2612582.html

1. Jonathan Singleton, 1b/of
    2. Jarred Cosart, rhp
    3. George Springer, of
    4. Jonathan Villar, ss
    5. Paul Clemens, rhp
    6. Domingo Santana, of
    7. Brett Oberholtzer, lhp
    8. Delino DeShields Jr., 2b
    9. Mike Foltynewicz, rhp
    10. Telvin Nash, 1b/of

5 of the Astros top 7 prospects on this list came as a result of the Hunter Pence trade (#1, #2, #6) and Michael Bourn trade (#5, #7). They also have the #1 pick of the 2012 MLB Draft in June.

Farm system sure looks a lot better than it did a year ago.

1 person likes this.
  2. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Not bad. I hope someone sets themselves apart for the clear cut #1 pick this year. It's looking like Mark Appel from Stanford, but we'll see.

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

But where do our top prospects rate compared to other teams? I guess it's an indication our farm is getting better because new guys have replaced our old sorry top prospects, but without more context it seems fairly useless as a barometer of how much we're improving.

4. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I would like them to draft Nick Williams but they're probably going to draft a pitcher. I'm one to gamble that you can get good pitching in the later rounds. A power bat would help the Astros tremendously.

5. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

We should be around 15 out of 30 right now so middle of the pack.

Problem with that list is that we drafted exactly 4 of those guys and traded for the rest...after four years, that shouldn't be the case. Heck will probably join Wade on the unemployment line because of it.

6. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Heck has done a pretty great job scouting talent. Considering most of our previous top 10 prospects are all currently on the 25 man big league roster its not to surprising to see guys we dealt for a few months ago largely on the top 10. Plus Singleton and Cosart are both top 20 prospects in all of the minor leagues.

Also I think Baseball America had us at #21 last time I checked. This will change largely when some teams sign some big free agents and lose Type A and B draft picks plus whatever the Wandy trade nets us.

7. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

But our team is awful. We've gotten rid of vets and gone with a youth movement. If we were any good, most of those guys wouldn't have been called up.

Going into last season, Baseball America had Singleton at #39 and Cosart at #70. We'll see where they rank them this year.

They had us #26. I'd expect to see a higher ranking but I think #15 would be pushing it.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

You don't lose picks when you sign a type B (and there is no guarantee that will exist in the new CBA). And it still wouldn't effect rankings.

9. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

We have a pretty good pick this year right?

[​IMG]