1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BA's latest top 100 prospects list has 5 Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Sydeffect, May 11, 2017.

1. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/top-100-prospects-updated-may-11/#Iqee2RrtDv5AQmyh.97

15. Kyle Tucker
    17. Frances Martes
    39. Franklin Perez
    66. AJ Reed
    67. David Paulino

Teams with most player in top 100:

- White Sox have 5 players in top 51, and if they sign Luis Roberts that will be 6.

- Yankees have 6 players with the 2nd best prospect who they got in Chapman trade. 2 of those prospects barely made list.

- Dodgers have 5 players in top 100

- Josh Hader is now ranked at 31

Fun Facts:

Rangers have only 1 player in the top 100 who is rated at 43 while the Angels have no player in the top 100.

2. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

2 more fun facts - Astros first to team to put a pair on the board (15 and 17 ... just before Pirates got their second player), and Martes is the #2 ranked pitcher.

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I wonder how far off Fisher was.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

From their chat...

Some of it is PCL wariness (guys who hit .245 in Double-A and then .325 in the PCL raises more than a few eyebrows) and the upside is not as high as other guys. He’s got a chance to be a nice complementary player, but you won’t find any evaluators out there who think he’s a future All-Star or first-division regular. Still a likely big leaguer and fine prospect in his own right.

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/updated-top-100-prospects-chat-may-11/#PpgbZYDQj5PwybHT.99

Snake Diggit likes this.
  5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I'm surprised so see them say he has a limited ceiling. His only physical limitation is his arm. But if he improved his contact % and defense he would be an elite defensive LF with 30/30 potential. And at this point I think his floor is as a very good 4th OF (speed galore, good pop for a bench bat, and won't be a major liability in CF or LF), with his most likely outcome as a fringe or average regular who hits for average power, provides slightly below average defense, and plus baserunning.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think this is what BA sees minus the plus base running. BA tends to like ceiling more than expected value in my opinion. I doubt they would consider his ceiling to include 30 SBs and elite defense in LF, though.

However, you don't mention OBP which I also think BA is underestimating. If Fisher becomes an average MLB starter or better, it is likely because he is able to get on base through walks while making enough contact that pitchers can't just throw him strikes. It isn't sexy, but when everyone is getting hits/walks, traffic on bases increases...the more traffic leads to more runs.

Snake Diggit likes this.