1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Barkley praises Houston Rockets on L.A. Radio

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by across110thstreet, May 29, 2008.

1. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

hey guys, I was listening to local L.A. radio when Charles Barkley came on with Dave Dameshek today and gave lots of love to the Rockets organization, Rudy Tomjanovich, and the city and fans of Houston. he also put the Pajama Pinstripes in the top 3 or 4 ugliest uniforms ever.

here's thepodcast , he comes in about 1/3 through and talks specifically about the Rockets about 40% through...

then Charles answers the ultimate question, a hypothetical game with the TNT crew vs. the ESPN crew

TNT
    Charles Barkley, Kenny Smith, Chris Webber, Magic Johnson, Reggie Miller

vs.

ESPN
    Tim Legler, Greg Anthony, Jalen Rose, Jamal Mashburn, Bill Walton

2. WallofYao

WallofYao Member

I love Barkley, and he's a good guy. The TNT crew would definitely win if they had a basketball game against the ESPN crew.

3. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

The TNT crew would kill the ESPN crew.

4. kmoney

kmoney Member

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

bahahahaha Kenny gets clowned again.

"He made Hakeem Olajuwon the all time shot blocker."

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm pleased to hear Barkley's comments.He is blunt most of the time and I disagree with him at times but I appreciate his honesty.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks for showing us the truth!

Rocket fans and players love Rudy T. Note how Barkley says great things about Rudy's family. What Rudy T brought to the Rockets was a sense of family, he's been there for 33 years.

Rudy was there for his players going through rough times, Max, Steve Francis, and even Yao. Yao called him " a father " when he first came here since he went out of his way making feel like a member of the family instead of just a player.

I'm glad Chuck mentioned Rudy as well as his stint in Houston. despite the hate by the newbs here, we who saw Chuck give it his all as Rocket were proud of him. When Charles got hurt in Philly, it was one of the saddest days in Rockets history. A Hall of Fame player going all out and ending his career on an injury.

And thanks for Charles to have the courage to give his true opinion on how UGLY those old uniforms were.

8. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

That's out of character for Chuck.

9. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

That day was really sad. He was playing well around that time, too.

All's well that ends well. Bradley kneed Barkley into retirement, and McGrady dunked him to a seat right next to Sir Charles.

(the trade for Horry hurt though)

10. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

the worst was when we were up 2-1 on the Jazz in the first round in '98 and CB4 went down with the arm injury...
    the Rockets were the 8th seed with a 41-41 record that year, with a chance to close out the top dog...

11. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

that matchup wouldn't even be fair...

other than the TNT squad being full of HOFers the ESPN squad doesn't even have a 4. If their talking about if they played right now, i think the ESPN squad would win though.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

that's one of the most sincere things I've ever heard from him. he's never been that honest on his decline here in houston, particularly he was hard on francis and mobley for not getting his shell of his former self the ball.

13. Htown57

Htown57 Member

If they were all in their primes, nobody on the TNT squad would be able to stop walton. Otherwise, it'd be a crush.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Barkley has always liked the city and the organization and always praises Rudy. I still don't get why so many of you posters hate the guy. His run here was fun.

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

hey fellow 1999er,
    hint: cause they never saw him play here, they are newbs.

16. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

pretty cool...Those were the days....He always had a great comment when interviewed...

17. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

man, that one hurt. I hated Antoine Carr after that. He caused Barkley's tricep to tear. We had all the momentum sucked out of us.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If I remember correctly we were 41-41 only due to regular season injuries. The team was better than that. We had built up a huge lead too. Drexler didn't show up in the 2nd half, and Olajuwon failed to put the team on his back. Or anything even close to it. All the while Barkley tried to play injured didn't he? With his arm hanging lifeless at his side. Always a competitor.

19. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

wheres JVG?!

20. levintblack

levintblack Contributing Member

umm i just joined in I think january and I remember the Barkley days intently. He's the entire reason I am a Rockets fan. And he was a consistent 16-11 guy here.