1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bank of America to Charge for Debit Cards

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by K LoLo, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

1. How much will it cost them to process all of those hand-written checks?

Not much, it is almost completely automated.

2. How many customers will they lose?

Less than you probably think, plus the customers that this fee affects are the customers they don't care about. For someone with a "free checking" account that maybe only has a couple hundy in it at a time, it costs the bank to have that customer more than they get the benefit from those deposits...thus the fee.

3. How much is it going to cost them in overhead to keep their ATMs filled?

Probably not as much as you think.

I'm sure there's more.

Silver lining for BOA: May push more people to credit card spending where they actually have a chance to make money on the transactions with interest.

2. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

ive never had a debit card - always seemed unnecessary. cash and credit card - what else do you really need?

yall are a bunch of junkies - they give it away for free and get everyone hooked then they start charging you for it and you cant stop using it.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Hmmm....sounds great but I really depend on the mobile deposit feature Chase has. Only way to deposit gig money without going to the bank.

Since I use that feature more often than ATM's, I guess I'll stay with Chase for now. I have direct deposit, so I don't incur any fees.

4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

[​IMG]

* :grin: LOL @ poor people

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I wonder what the French King did when he owed the bank(Knights Templar) too much?

;)

DD

6. VanityHalfBlack

Went to my local wells fargo bank to use the Atm and them fools wanna charge me $1.00 just to print out a receipt...

7. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

You know it's well-documented that one of the reasons why they always got their ass handed to them by Britain was because the British could get credit and the French couldn't as no banker trusted the French King.

Now I don't know how much killing the Templars had to do with it, but I doubt it helped.

Anyways, DD, I hope you're preparing for another line of work if you think the banks will fail. Won't be much time for video games when Bessie's gotta get milked.

8. VanityHalfBlack

Start using paypal for online shopping...

9. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Blame them for heresy and hunted and killed the KT.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I just think that countries should not owe banks, they have no business in policy.

If I were the USA, I would immediatly say I am not paying a penny of interest until the debt is paid off...but first I would get all debt ridden countries to agree to do the same.

DD

11. VanityHalfBlack

Does anybody have Identity theft protection?? I used to have Privacy assistance from Bank Of America but decided to cancel both my checking and the identity theft program...
    I'd figure I just make a vlog daily and also have a notebook titled My daily life each day and have it affidavit and sign, would that work for identity theft??

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

LOL

Oh DaDakota.You're so silly.

13. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Scum bags

Scum bags.

Banks don't make money by not nickel and diming people to death. This $5 fee has more to do with people not using their credit cards and people not applying for credit cards.

The best part about plastic is that you don't need to carry cash except when you buy your drugs and prostitutes. Honestly, why do I need a credit card at x% interest when I can pay $60 all year to use a 0% interest card - when all I really want is the convienence of not having cash and writing checks?

That's what people like about debit cards. The banks know it. So when people start substituting their debit cards for their credit cards the banks get antsy in the pants and come up with a pretty good stop gap.

14. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Switch to a credit union. No fees, and they are non-profit. I'm with Smart Financial Credit Union.

15. Major

Major Member

But then, why do you need a debit card for $60/yr when you can use a credit card, pay no interest, and get fraud protection for free?

16. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

17. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

That's just insane. $15,000 minimum monthly balance. Their cheapest account is now $10/mo minimum. And I thought BAC was bad.

Credit unions must be licking their chops.

18. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I am just going to flat out say I do not believe you. I have never heard of a credit card that charges 0%. With a credit card you pay interest for money you do not have.

However, I pay nothing for my debit card but it is not as if the bank is not making money. Only once in the past 3 years have I had a zero dollar balance, that happened 2 years ago and since then I have had money in the account. I don't spend all the money. The bank knows this and that's where they make their money. It's why they pay interest on saving accounts: they don't expect you to withdraw all the money.

19. playlife

playlife Member

you do not pay interest for the credit card if you pay it off every month. Just do an auto payment every month and you won't need to worry about missing the due date.