1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BANDWAGON] What teams have you jumped on board for?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by steddinotayto, Nov 10, 2014.

1. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

When I was young it was Duke Basketball and U Miami Football.

Stopped caring about Miami decades ago, but followed Duke basketball well into my 20s, and still root from them in some big games.

I have more recently become a huge Nats fan. I moved DC a year before the Nats, so I guess I was technically a fan from the beginning. I still feel a bit guilty, because at this point I'm way more of a Nats fan than my childhood Astros. I'm sure if the Astros ever become relevant again that could change.

On a similar note, I moved to DC a year before the Texans came into being. Definitely follow them closely, but there just hasn't been all that much to cheer for in their decade plus of existence. I find myself splitting my allegiances between the Redskins and Texans, which has been a pretty woeful existence with a lot of "lows" and very few "highs" to really pull me in to super fandom. Plus, I severly dislike Dan Snyder, and will not support the team financially in any way. If the Texans ever become become truly great, then I will jump head-first onto that bandwagon.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This...at least since I've been an adult. I did enjoy rooting for the Bad Boy Pistons but I was a kid.

Only notable exception was seeing NOLA win the Super Bowl. That's easily the most excited I've ever been for any team and fan base outside of the city of Houston. I've never been that excited watching a Super Bowl before or since.

3. Buck Turgidson

It changes every year, depending on my boredom level with the Houston teams. The Saints have pretty much been my NFC team since Jerrah bought the Cowboys (though I did also grow up a Staubach/Randy White/Dorsett/Too Tall/ that era of Cowboys fan, 'cause that's how my dad rolled)

I did really enjoy the KC Royals' run this year, I was a huge fan of theirs back in the 80's because their best player had my name on the back of his jersey, and he basically made this righty learn how to hit left-handed too. The '85 World Series between the Cards and Royals is to this day my fondest old baseball memory.

Was a huge supporter of Rice baseball back when I lived in West U and was dating a grad/employee. Free afternoon OF bleachers with a beer cooler at Reckling was the best baseball in town.

Been rooting for TCU and Baylor football all year since UT is having the year we all expected.

NFL team this year? I can't think of one. Help me out!

4. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Oh yeah, and Reggie Miller's Pacers. Loved that team.

5. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Early 90s, I was a penguins fan. Everyone was all up on Wayne gretzkys nuts, so I had to roll up with Mario Lemieux and the Pens.

Mid 90s something happened when I switched over to the Red Wings. I think it was 1996 and it was my distaste for the Avalanche that swung me to the Red Wings. The Avs and Red Wings had one of the most heated rivalries I've seen in sports, ever.

I can't root for another nba team, mlb team, or nfl team.

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

I jumped on the Astros bandwagon hardcore when we made the world series. Then Alfred Pujols or whatever his name was killed us bad. I never watched a single game of baseball before nor after that playoff run.

7. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

He "killed us so bad" that the Astros won the series and eliminated him the very next game. :rolleyes:

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Who here loves baseball and won't be on the Chicago Cubs bandwagon the next time they make the WS.

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

Wait I thought we lost the superbowl to them that year. 2004ish? Or am I thinking of another team.

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I tend to jump on the bandwagon for teams that pick up former longhorns.

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Not as much as you seem to dislike second-person pronouns.

12. CCorn

CCorn Member

When Embiid starts playing I will become a 6ers fan. Love the guy.

13. Buck Turgidson

No, that was '93. The Stros were up 35-3 and then Albert Pujols hit 8 consecutive grand slams to tie the game. We all can remember Lenny Dykstra making that FG in overtime.

That was my worst day as a Houston fan.

14. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I'm on the Xbox bandwagon.

Screw the PS4 fanboys

16. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

My dad's family is from Houston, my mom's family is from Pittsburgh.

I go Houston first and foremost, but if Houston's team in whichever sport isn't doing anything, I "root" for Pittsburgh, where "root" just means "wish well."

When neither of those rules apply, I "root" Cardinals for MLB, Thunder for NBA, and stop caring one way or the other for NFL.

Of course, as always, I root (no quotation marks) against anything Dallas.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

A whole bunch of us in the Astros forum. I actively root against them.

18. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I hop on the bandwagon of any team playing any Houston team's rival. Especially against that football team in south oklahoma.

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Pretty much, most Astros fans I know can't stand the Cubs. I'm not sure if it's just the Michael Barrett incident or what, but I can't stand that team for some reason.

I've never once has a significant emotional investment in any non-Houston pro team. I am a Longhorn fan first and foremost, but I almost always root for the Texas schools, I even used to root for A&M when they were in the Big 12.

As has been mentioned by others, when I have to pick a team in championship game/series I usually root against somebody. I've even found myself rooting for the ugh ...Mavericks, i hated the Heat that much.

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It's more fairweathering, but UT became my primary rooting interest once I moved to the Austin area and met Major. That just happened to coincide with Baylor, the team I grew up rooting for since my dad and sisters went there and my dad's from Waco, starting it's awful run in the Big XII in both major sports. I still rooted for them except when they played UT, but when RG3 came along (basketball was earlier), it was back to being big on the Bears, especially with the family connection. Ain't proud of it, but it's entertainment. What're ya gonna do? I still actively root for both Baylor and UT, and it's not fun when they play.

I'll bump this thread in 2021 when Texas State is playing for the national championship.