1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Banana boat VS Nets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fattz, Jan 15, 2018.

1. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

There's no guarantee we win. This dude's been to the finals plenty because of cherry picking. He's an all-time great, don't get me wrong. We still don't beat the Warriors with him, he won't elevate players like Harden or Paul. Dude's had no competition in the East, that even us Rockets couldn't beat up on these past 3-4 years.

Mortgaging it to get him is a start, but we'd much more. I'd take my chances, I get your point. But if anybody thinks just adding him to our team instead of Ryno is instant champions, I don't believe it. I still think these Warriors teams are just that much better. Their superstars actually make each other better. Curry, Klay, and Durant work insanely well off-ball, none of our big 3 would.

He also alienates his front office and coaching staff, by forcing the keys to be passed to him. How much would Harden appreciate him? I think in the same light Kyrie would, one...I'm not a kid, two you won't pass the torch when you're done, three....this is MY team, not yours.

I won't take Lebron at the expense of Harden. 7 years ago, yes. 5 years ago, yes. Right now, no. I hope we can get him, I just would really need him to fit and not be so demanding. It's tough to win with people so selfish, if anything, he's performed below expectations in the winning fashion. The 2016 Finals is the outlier and one of the best ever, the 2011 is one of the worst and biggest upsets ever.

SIL

2. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

This.

Durant's move literally shut the door on LeBron ever winning again barring a miracle(serious injuries to GSW, which are always possible). He'll be a lifelong Eastern Conference Finals champions the next 4-6 years in his career, but that's it. He won't come out West, he knows he can't beat that team in it's prime. That team's shelf life is 2019-2020 season, that's two more seasons. Does he(and Paul, I believe Harden will have it) have it at 35-34 years old to power through a championship when the Warriors go from a 4-domino team to a 2/3 domino team of Curry/Durant/1 other star(dray and klay exchanged for 1 hypothetically)? Even then I don't think so.

If he comes out West, it's a) for his brand and go to a city like LA or b)Golden State cause that's what folks do.

SIL

3. Juxtaposed Jolt

Problem with comparing the BB to the Nets' situation is that all the Nets were old and on the verge of being washed up, when they came together.

First year of KG/PP in Boston vs last year:

KG: 19/9/3 to 15/8/2
    PP: 20/5/5 to 18/6/5

Even Joe Johnson and Deron Williams were already in decline, due to injuries and age.

LeBron won't lose a step. But, even if he does, Chris Paul isn't going to suddenly follow suit and be trash. Neither of them are. Lastly, the difference between this team and Brooklyn's dream? James Harden.

KG, PP, JJ and DW were all old; they didn't have a younger star to lean on, when they had to sit out for something or other. James Harden is more than capable of carrying a team by himself.

I can't believe there are people that don't want LeBron on this team.

4. fattz

fattz Member

No one had said Lebron is unwanted. It’s the whole banana boat that is to much. Lebron is a wonderful player but he like everyone else can’t stop time. By the time he makes to us he will be deep into the twilight of his career. The rest of HIS players (BB) are already there. (How much has CP3 played this year? Do you think his time out is a fluke? How much do we invest of the future to try to relive the past? If Harden has to take on a major part of the load why is the all of the BB even needed?

5. topfive

topfive CF OG

News flash: There's NEVER a guarantee your team will win.

But anyone who thinks that adding LeBron James to a team with James Harden and Chris Paul doesn't increase your chances at a title exponentially just has a dislike of LeBron to begin with.

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'm not saying that we should let LeBron come here and be an assistant GM, but...

That "bust" you mentioned, Shabazz Napier, has turned into a serviceable rotation guy for the Blazers, not terrible for a 24th pick. LeBron wasn't wrong about him, the Heat just gave up on him too early.

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

If u don’t want Lebron, then who do u want that could realistically be available and we’d have a chance of getting? Boogie? Please. Paul George? Who?

topfive and BigggReddd like this.
  8. fattz

fattz Member

I don’t think an all star player is needed. Super solid role players that keep other teams honest. Pick any two if Anderson’s contract weren’t on the books:
    Center: Richaun Holmes, WCS, J.Val
    4/5: Demo Sabonis
    PF: Pat Patterson, Jermari Grant, Pascal Siakam

#28 fattz, Jan 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Tilman is going to have to sell shares of the team to Beyonce to supply all the Banana Boats needed over
    the next 3 years.

Common factors for the players:
    1) all available at the same time (Melo ETO.....early termination option)

2) all want to play on the same team (LeBron has been trying to recruit Melo since his final year at Miami)

3) They don’t want CP3 and Melo to end up in Barkley’s group.....best players to never win a championship. It burns!!

4) all 4 want to beat the Warriors!! Dethrone the champ young guns with the Banana Boat crew!! Nothing better!!

I’m in.......and I’m guessing the players are/will be in.

#29 ApacheWarrior, Jan 15, 2018
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

oh wow, we have completely different views on what is needed in order for us to win a championship

that isn’t near enough IMO

Morey is chasing after these stars for a reason, you’re gonna have to stack up if u want to beat GS

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  11. fattz

fattz Member

I don’t think GSW are beatable for a while. We just need to be ready for our turn. I don’t think mortgaging the future is the way to go. We need to put the best TEAM we can out there. Super solid and hope GSW implodes => cap space, ego or a fall from the league’s grace.

#31 fattz, Jan 15, 2018
  12. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Exactly. LeBron is so physically imposing and his bball IQ is astronomical, even at the age of 40 I can see him being very effective.

RiceRockets likes this.
  13. rockets13champs

Here’s why it works Harden, Paul and James are WAYYYYY better than Pierce, KG and Johnson
    Like KG was done, Pierce was on his last legs he as 2 more good seasons left and needed to be more of a tertiary guy like he was in Washington and for Iso Joe he has yet to prove he is a winner player in the league. Couldn’t even carry hawks to playoffs some years in his time as a #1 guy. Deron Williams ever since the trade for Utah regressed faster than I’ve seen anyone regress

Don’t forget that Lebron is top 2 alltime he is chasing for 1.. and he is very very close. Statistically he’s better than Jordan. And he’s played tougher opponents so I might give it to Lebron to being better than Jordan

14. topfive

topfive CF OG

Wow. So "We still don't beat the Warriors with {LeBron}, he won't elevate players like Harden or Paul." but Willie Cauley-Stein and Patrick Patterson are difference makers?!?

15. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

What will we have if we stick with what we have now and don't improve? A big fat L every season as the Warriors cakewalk to X straight championships.

16. fattz

fattz Member

I don’t want everything that comes with Lebron. IF it was just Lebron and not ALL of his friends, too then yes it would be a no brainer. BUT it’s not =>the banana boat will come too => with their hands out to get paid for work done 5 seasons ago. Just last year I saw our TEAM run out of gas and beat themselves. The other teams less GSW didn’t beat us we beat ourselves. Why would one undo the chemistry that is already here? We added CP3 (his been broken) to a successful mix. I know with better and more support our team will be there in the end. The GSW are a once in a generation team. We can’t compete head to head with that. We need to be smarter than to just buy players like Wade & Melo at the cost of the future. I know solid role players doing the same thing as an over the hill all star will be just as affective at half the cost and trouble. It’s not Lebron it’s his friends. That is why we are talking about the banana boat and not Lebron.

17. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

The basketball side of having Lebron is exciting, but I hate the drama off the court that follows him around wherever he goes.

18. fattz

fattz Member

I never said don’t improve. I want solid role players instead of older all stars and all that comes with that. If Lebron came without baggage and just played life would wonderful but he doesn’t. I still believe in James Harden & CP3 with solid help at each spot is the way to go.