1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Ball Don't Lie] Houston Made a Huge Move (Alston/Lowry Deal)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ivenovember, Feb 19, 2009.

1. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

Ball Don't Lie, Yahoo's NBA Blog, has posted their comments on the trade.

They feel that we got a good deal by cutting money and getting a younger and better point guard. I can not yet say that he is better and I will wait to voice my full opinion until we see him play for a while. Morey's past moves have not been knock-outs at first glance either, that's why I HAVE TO give him the benefit of the doubt on this trade too.

2. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

3. luv_supra

luv_supra Member

baaaaaaad trade

4. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 Member

With the game on the line, I honestly do not know who I want shooting. Probably Battier

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'm confused on where Cook is going, and who the other players involved are.

The Chronicle is reporting that we got Brooks and Cook, but Aldridge said Cook is going to Memphis. I think I'll our trust our guys on that.

I heard Adonal Foyle was also involved in this deal. He'd be a nice addition as well.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think everyone forgets Alston is the oldest of the rockets’ core players. He’s 32, everyone else is under 30. They’re not rebuilding, but rather shifting the window of opportunity, before it started with the last few years, but now its about the next 4-5. Rafer at 36, 37, running this team?? No way, or any team for that matter. this is the best time to make that tweak, rather than a year or two from now when, if healthy, they could be in the midst of championship or deep playoff runs. when you consider his age and his weakness, it’s a no brainer.

7. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

So did we or did we not get Cook? Not that it matters anyway...

8. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Memphis is getting Cook?? :eek: :)

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Battier, Barry, Wafer, Brooks, and Cook are all good outside shooters. We'd have a lot of options, all of whom are frankly better than Rafer Alston.

10. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

joke? have you seen his salary? let alone his numbers

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

it actually does matter a lot since cook has a player option for next year which he would obviously take.

12. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

are you kidding me? lowry is not an experienced pg at all..........not even at the college level, it was randy foye running the show

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Artest is a pretty good shooter when he's open and not chucking up shots.

14. Problem-Chyld

Problem-Chyld Member

yea where is Cook going?? and how did the Magic trade ONLY him to get Rafer Alston? They got Alston for free

15. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

foyle's salary isn't bad like it used to be. he's only making 1.2m this year and it is expiring. yay another backup center who won't play.

16. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

I am also confused as where Cook is going, I'd rather not have him come here cause that saves us some money.

Magic also gave a 1st round pick to Memphis.

We also recieved Mike Wilks and Adonal Foyle.

17. redao

redao Member

I did not even know Foyle is still in the league. he will be cut.

18. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Lowry shined at times, and when Foye or Ray weren't running the show, Lowry would step up.

19. Texxx

Texxx Member

Exactly. Everyone acts like it is a horrible trade but it really isn't at all. Is it a real good one? Maybe? Maybe not. We got younger and faster and saved money and have a better defender now.

And for god sakes what more does Morey have to prove to get people to trust the guy's knowledge? He is an amazing GM and I love the fact that he is constantly trying to improve the team one way or the other.

20. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Bullard on 610 half an hour ago made a comment about Morey telling him at the Tux & Tennies event that Morey was looking for a forward who could space the floor, like Bullard. So I'd have to think Cook is a player he wanted, not Adonal Foyle. Plus we dont have the roster space anyways