1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bagwell gets another chance to shed the label

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by JBIIRockets, Oct 9, 2001.

1. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

5 for 39.

A very low percentage.

That is what Bagwell has done at the plate in the playoff games in 97, 98 and 99. In the past I have criticized Bagwell, and it is mainly because of the stat above. This is money time and Bagwell must, must, be more productive at the plate this time around.

Man, I am pulling like a mother for this guy. We don't want him to be known as just a regular season stat producer, who has what seems to be an inevitable slump at the plate when the playoffs come around.

Jeff, please do not strike out or ground into a 6-4-3 when you eventually get the opportunity to bat in the late innings with two or more runners on base.

People say my criticism of Bagwell's clutch-less bat in the postseason is unfair because I disregard what he does in the regular to get to the playoffs.

You know what. To a certain extent, YEAH, I do disregard his numbers in the regular season. His 39 playoff at-bats are the most important at-bats he has ever had in his career, and he has not come through.

As Kenny Smith of the Rockets once said, "The season is where you make your name, the PLAYOFFS is where you make your fame."

I don't see Bags hitting 74 homeruns in season, so coming up big in the playoffs is the only way his popularity on a national level will soar. Going 1-13 won't cut it this time either. C'mon Bags, break out and show major league fans across the globe what you can do when it counts the most.

Man, I can't wait for the playoffs! I'm nervous. Pitching and Bagwell's late inning at-bats will be the difference in this series.

2. Timing

Timing Member

Honestly I don't see Bagwell doing much. He's not a situational hitter. He doesn't seem to get it that when there is one out and a guy on third you don't need a double, all you need is a ground ball to shortstop.

I think if the offense is successful it's going to be because of the depth 1-7, not because of Bagwell. Having said that I think we can win this series.

GO ASTROS!