1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Baffling Rise in Suicides Plagues the U.S. Military

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Mathloom, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/16/u...-plagues-us-military.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Not a mystery to me, but a rising problem aside from the rape, depression and mental disorders.

This is IMO one of the costs of operating a morality-averse empire alongside ultra-ideological PR.

Very sad, especially the state of veterans in the US.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't know if everyone has read the suicide note of Daniel Somers, but it is worth reading in its entirety:

LINK

3. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I've never understood why PTSD wasn't more frequent in pre-gun powder days. I am not a soldier, but it seems like hacking off limbs and stabbing people in the chest would be more traumatizing than shooting someone 30 yards away.

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Maybe because "curing" mental health in those days meant locking crazy people up in a room or killing them.

5. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

So you are saying it was far more prevalent, but just kept out of sight and mind? Maybe your right, I got no idea.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't know if it was more prevalent, but it was also a harder society to begin with.

Take a kid today. If you were have a child and make them do hard chores from the time they were 5 until the time they could leave the house, they'd be miserable, hate you, etc. But that's only because society around them is so different than that. Rewind 200 years and a child in those circumstances would feel normal.

We live in a relatively peaceful society today compared to history. The vast majority of us will never see violence on any significant scale. Heck, the idea of domestic violence being outlawed in say 1350 is crazy. I slapped my wife and go to jail? Whipping my kids with a lash is wrong?

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Umm... people do realize that a LARGE portion of suicides in the military are from people who never seen combat or even deployed.

8. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I didn't know that, I doubt people are aware. Where can I find more info about this?

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

10. Mathloom

Supporting Member

11. Kojirou

Kojirou Member