1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Backup quarterback...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Who should be our backup?

Here's a crazy scenario....

Kirk Cousins goes to Minnesota.

The NFL rules Teddy Bridgewater is a free agent (not giving him a "redshirt" year from his injury). Bridgewater can't find a starting job (though I think he would, in like Buffalo). Teddy comes to Houston as a backup.

Love it.

Seriously, though, will we draft a backup? The kid from Richmond may be a good choice....

Who do you guys want?

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I don’t see the Texans drafting their QB2. I think that they will sign a FA QB and maybe draft their QB3.

red5rocket likes this.
  3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I wouldn't mind them drafting that guy from Richmond(Lauletta) or Mike White. Late in the draft though. One of the 6th roundrrs.

red5rocket likes this.
  4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Tyrod Taylor or Kaepernick please

5. HstnSprtsFan101

Lol cmon

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Taylor is not coming here to backup. He is a starter in this league. Forget about Kaep.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

It seems like there are too many average QBs and not enough teams to start them. There is no excuse to not get w competent backup now. I like Bridgewater. Would even take Hoyer or Fitzpatrick back based on their success as Texans but only as a last resort.

Nook and Two Sandwiches like this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

No more statues like Ryan Mallett, Brock Osweiler, Tom Savage...

red5rocket and Two Sandwiches like this.
  9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Where is he a starter? I want someone that can actually run the offense if Deshaun is out. Not someone that we have to just pencil in Ls for and not run any of the same plays.

I forgot about Fitzpatrick. I wouldn't mind that. He can win a game or 2 if he has to and is mobile enough to run the offense.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think they'll waste a draft pick or much money in whoever is the backup so I think we'd be looking at a fairly cheap vet QB or we'll just keep Savage for cheap. Fitz could be a possibility if he came cheap.

I know the Bridgewater fans might still be holding out hope that he'll end up here for whatever reason but he's not any good at football AND he'd probably be a 3rd string guy here behind Watson and a random vet not even on the team yet so I think he'd look for a spot where he could compete for a backup job.

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

He believes he is a starter. And has shown that he can be a decent one in the league. He is going to want to start. Or at least the opportunity to compete as a starter. I don't think Houston offers that. He can get that at Denver, NYJ, Jacksonville, Minneapolis, Arizona, New Orleans. Even if these teams draft a QB, Taylor could start if the rookie isn't quite ready in year one.

12. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Like JR said no more statues please. How healthy is RG3?

13. StevieCrossover

Yeah. Lets not waste a pick on a quarterback. We already give. Our first round away.

free agent for a backup is the only way to go until next next year.

14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

People in Hell want Icewater.....doesn't mean they get it. Just because YOU want Taylor, doesn't mean he WANTS to be a backup. He is still the starter in Buffalo. The Texans will sign a backup that is conventional and draft a Watson "clone" to groom.

15. oelman44

oelman44 Member

You realize the Bills made the playoffs this year? And Taylor has 51 touchdowns to 16 interceptions as a starter over the last three years. Oh yeah, I forgot he would also be a near perfect fit picking up our offense as a mobile QB.

Tyrod Taylor as our backup is more of a pipe-dream than something to scoff at.

texian likes this.
  16. texian

texian Member

BUF, MIA, NYJ, CIN, CLE, JAX, DEN, ARI.

So you think Fitzy would be a more suitable backup to Watson than Tyrod, lol?

17. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Of the realistic options I think Tyrod would be a solid backup but if they don’t want to invest a lot of money in the back up maybe someone like Fitz could be had at a decent price.

Drafting a guy would be nice but with the picks we have this year and the holes at DB and on the o line I doubt we draft a guy before round 6-7 and by then those guys aren’t going to be ready to come in and produce anyway.