1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Backpicks Top 40: Hakeem ranks 6th all time

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Mar 25, 2018.

1. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Dream is absolutely one of the best offensive and defensive players to ever live, if he had a good team throughout his career he could've easily brought at least 2 more to chips to Houston, very fair assessment and Hakeem is a top 10 player of all time for sure.

Jake Tower and the shark like this.
  2. the shark

the shark Member

Like Rick James says, "Cocaine is one hell of a drug".

It certainly derailed what the Rockets had going on in the 80's (Wiggins, Lucas & Suite Lou)

3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Hakeem is the greatest player to ever step on a basketball court. So, he got hosed by this "analyst".

4. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

this was a great read. not so secretly hoping cp3 has been conserving his juice for this postseason and moves up the ladder. I'm okay with #6 for dream. I think Shaq has to be #5 as he and Dream cant be separated by more than 1 spot. It'll be interesting to read how to justify shaq's horrid perimeter defense ... but he was a lot more efficient than hakeem overall, elbowing his way to dunks whereas hakeem is shooting fadeaways against 2-3 defenders as the article points out.

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I love this series of analytical breakdowns, but I have a hard time putting Shaq in front of Dream. Both great players but even this analysis of Dream points out that he didn't really have help.

Hakeem is still on my starting GOAT squad.

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Top 10, nay, Top 6 all time is where Dream should be without a doubt.

7. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

I agree. I still think Dream is better than Shaq overall, but if shaq was theoretically better, he'd only be one spot over him. It's a pretty valid argument to bring up the topic of having superstar wings all of his career. Who knows if shaq would have been even better without them (not taking summers off as he admitted to doing when he had kobe), but I don't think he'd have solo-carried the way Hakeem did, because you'd have to have great d to do that, which he wasn't.

Xerobull likes this.
  8. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

9. Xerobull

10. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

11. Xerobull

Yeah- he's it. This guy's rankings take into consideration longevity, and Kareem had a looooong career. I can't fault him, although I'd love to have just a solid GOAT ranking based on best stats.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I'd like to see a peak or prime list. Jordan/Magic/Bird are hurt on this by having shorter careers.

13. jbasket

jbasket Member

Xerobull likes this.
  14. Xerobull

I'm hoping this guy does just that. Would be interesting to see which obscure players come out of the woodwork on a one-year basis.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

In our books the No 1 Bamboozler.

16. OTMax

OTMax Member

Hakeem was more all-round than most players, skill set for a big man second to none and you cannot argue against him in your top 5 all-time at his peak because he had no weaknesses.

He could literally do it all: shoot, rebound, handle the ball, iso / create for himself, pass, handle the ball, post play, unstoppable go-to moves(!), block shots with excellent timing on and off the ball, get steals, shoot FTs, but :

- had a great 3-year start and then 5 years of nothing noteworthy team record wise.
    - then peaked which was short and mostly showed during the playoffs.
    - finally his play dropped dramatically partly due to injuries after ‘97.

Based on this I can see why you put MJ, Lebron, Russell and Kareem over him. Shaq’s career is tied up with Kobe’s too much for me to put him over Dream + he had more flaws and much less skill.

BaselineFade likes this.
  17. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Didn’t see a thread on this. It’s a month old so may have missed it. His in-depth break down of the top 10.

Seems to really value defense, but then puts Curry first... but this is way better thought out than those **** lists the morning talking head shows do from time to time.

Curry
    Giannis
    Durant
    Davis
    Kawhi
    Lebron
    Harden
    Embiid
    George
    Jokic

18. PullUpJ

PullUpJ Member

Any list with AD over Kawhi and Harden is a joke tbh

tmoney1101, topfive and bro2044 like this.
  19. Mattician

Mattician Member

I'd argue that Curry is closer to 10 on that list than 1.

tmoney1101, topfive and bro2044 like this.
  20. s3ts

s3ts Member

Great freaking analysis.

The comments at the end are frustrating, people obsessing about putting Shaq and Duncan lower than Hakeem. I really like those other guys, but people just forget how great Hakeem was.

Blurr#7 and bro2044 like this.