1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Back of the Napkin Calculation] Replacing Brewer with Lou

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kevC, Feb 22, 2017.

1. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I don't think I've ever seen a mid season trade for the Rockets with such a straightforward massive upgrade to the same available minutes. I wanted to quantify the effect of replacing Brewer's minutes with Lou's.

Win share approach:

Brewer's WS/48 is 0.05 and Lou's WS/48 is .174

Brewer played 16 mpg and we have 24 games left. So 16*24*(.174-0.05)*48 = 0.992

So just replacing Brewer's minutes with Lou's is worth about an extra win for the rest of the season according to win shares. If you extrapolate that out to a full season it's about 3.4 wins. This is a conservative estimate since Lou most definitely will play more than 16 mpg and will be taking the occasional Bobby Brown and Ennis's trash minutes, not to mention that he actually has a higher WS/48 than Beverley and Gordon who he will also take minutes from. There is also the ancillary effect of giving rest to Harden/Bev/EGo which should help their play in the long term.

Corner 3's:

Let's go even granular. Corey Brewer is 14/57 from corner 3's this season. We know Lou shoots it about twice as well. So that's 14 extra made 3's or 42 points over 58 games for .72 points per game. Using Pythagorean wins, that roughly translates to 0.02133 extra wins per game using Rockets' point differential so far. So just replacing Brewer's corner 3's with Lou's by itself is worth about half a win for the rest of the season, and about 1.75 wins for a full season.

You could argue Lou won't be getting those open corner 3's Brew got, but I think that's more than off-set by how much Brew passed up open shots. No more Brewer passing up a wide open corner 3 for a drive that goes no where.

Box plus/minus approach:

As per justtxyank's suggestion -

Brewer's box plus/minus is -3.0 while Lou's is 2.5, a 5.5 points per 100 possessions difference. Rockets average about a 100 possessions a game and since Brewer plays 16 mpg, the math works out pretty easily to 5.5/3 = 1.8 points per game. Again using Pythagorean wins, that roughly translates to 0.053 wins per game. Over 24 games that is 1.28. So just replacing Brewer's minutes with Lou's is worth about 1.3 wins for the rest of the season and 4.4 wins over a whole season according to box score +/-.

#1 kevC, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Cool analysis. Also on pure box minus stuff, the swap is worth about an extra five points per game in box score plus minus.

3. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

That seems a bit high. How are you getting this? As good as Lou is compared to Brewer, surely he's not 5 points per 16 minutes better?

justtxyank likes this.
  4. justtxyank

Sorry, per 100 possessions. Brewer is a -3 and Lou is a +2.5. 5 point swing per 100 possessions. (I'm aware that it doesn't work out exactly that way in actual games.)

DonKnock and saleem like this.
  5. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Ah gotcha. That's another approach. I'll update the OP with how that works out overall.

6. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Interesting... nice work.

But I can't help thinking our team offensive efficiency (and perhaps even Lou's) will markedly increase as a result of better spacing, ball movement, and diminished turnovers with Lou taking Brewer's minutes.

We all recall how frustrating it was watching the team play 4-on-5 with Brewer on the court.

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Based on the Rockets averaging 103 possessions a game this would work out to be about a 1.6 ppg swing based on those plus minus numbers.

DonKnock likes this.
  8. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Ima beat it beat it beat it beat beat beat beat it beat beat beat beat I'm beating it

9. basketballholic

Gotta take the defensive end into account. Brewer, for all his faults that made me disgusted, was a defensive possession creator. In other words his steals and offensive fouls drawn and half his offensive rebounds were more than his turnovers. That means he actually got the team extra shots above his turnovers and helped offset some of Hardens turnover pile.

Lou, on the other hand, turns the ball over approximately one more time per game than his combined steals plus offensive charges drawn plus half his offensive rebounds. That means he actually costs the team a possession, or around a point a game.

Add that to your analysis.

Of course, we don't know what the dynamic of being in this offense will do to Lou's steals and turnovers but we will see for sure soon enough.
    On the surface this looks like a great trade. I'm for it. I like Lou a lot as a player. But...........I doubt this solves our turnover problem with Harden. However I'm willing to wait and see for sure how well Lou fits here and what other transactions we make before giving a more firm opinion in where w are headed this post season.

Jayzers_100 and D-rock like this.
  10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

If you run the ESPN trade machine on this, Rockets are +2 in Wins and Lakers lose 13 games

Haha

@Bobbythegreat posted the link in the trade thread

da_juice, Bobbythegreat, kevC and 3 others like this.
  11. justtxyank

It's a good trade but not a perfect trade. It doesn't solve the team's biggest problems, but if you can't do that I'm not opposed to just upgrading talent and seeing what happens.

12. justtxyank

Magic wins lol

13. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Updated OP with box score plus/minus approach.

14. basketballholic

Also gives us greater trade flexibility. What if we could acquire a superstar for a Gordon/Ariza/Capela package? Paul George?

15. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Box score +/- and win shares are overall metrics that theoretically takes into consideration defense, turnovers, etc. Again, this is just a quick and dirty analysis of just straight replacing Brewer's minutes with Lou's.

ilovehtownbb, DonKnock and justtxyank like this.
  16. justtxyank

Right, I broke this down yesterday. There is literally no negative to the trade. Even the first round pick we lost is potentially better for us from a salary issue AND if we really want to we can probably recoup it by dealing Lou again during the draft.

As far trading for a superstar, I'm not a believer that it can be done. I don't think we have the right combination of players/assets.

17. jsuspect

jsuspect Member

that's one big napkin you've got.

mikol13, B-Bob, Jayzers_100 and 6 others like this.
  18. justtxyank

Seems like every approach comes to the same conclusion. 1-2 extra wins over the season. That probably doesn't make a huge difference to us honestly unless the Spurs fall back a little bit. Really fascinating to watch the games to see what it may mean for playoff rotations.

19. basketballholic

I discount plus minus because it's a team game. Lou's plus minus effect on the Lakers isn't going to be replicated here while Brewers plus minus will probably move south significantly since he's playing on a lottery team that wants to lose.

#19 basketballholic, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    Richie_Rich likes this.
  20. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly.

Add to that other factors such as philosophy, system, personnel, chemistry, culture (winning vs. losing), etc. which all impact outcomes such as contested vs. defended shots, rebound rates, PnR efficiency, etc.

Sometimes the sum is greater than its parts (Rockets 2016-17).

Other times they are not (Rockets 2015-16).

mikol13, alethios and Lawlruschang like this.