1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Back-door cuts, open layups given up: over/under

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JayZ750, Dec 15, 2015.

Tags:
  1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

What's the over/under on wide open backdoor cut open layups the Rockets will give up this year?

Given up by Harden?

Given up by the rest of the team?

I'm not a complainer, but jesus f christ, this **** ain't hard.

2. ibm

ibm Member

old habits die hard. they need to enforce it a bit.

3. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Who is and has been the defensive coach for this team? Even with firing McHale the coaching hasn't been that much better.

4. tdo

tdo Member

There was a point in the game where Harden gave up back to back back door cuts. JB calls a timeout, pulls Harden, inserts Thornton. Like two plays later, they went back door on Thornton. I about threw my remote through the TV. And then you have Brewer, who has got to be right there with Harden for worst wing defender in the league. It's like they just don't care about defense until they get down so big, and are forced to play a little D. We played incredible defense the last 5 mins., and in the 2nd quarter, but looked like we just did not care at all the rest of the game. Have to find a way to bring that intensity the entire game.

5. ibm

ibm Member

yes, noticed that too.

this team is so painful to watch at time. not expecting them to play lockdown defense. but i bet just playing consistent, average nba-level defense would have improved our record quite a bit. its so frustrating...

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This is clearly a coaching failure.

But it's also a player failure. They could have spent 0% of their time on defense this year and just with effort should be better.

Ball, you, your man... watching both... and ready to help, depending on how far away the ball is from you.

These are simple concepts every professional basketball player has likely been told time and time again.

7. bmd

bmd Member

It's because this team gambles a ton on defense.

They over-play the passing lanes looking to jump out for a steal, and any high school basketball player reads that immediately and cuts back door.

But they continue to overplay time and time again.

8. Newlin

Newlin Member

I've never seen anything like it. This is basically the same team as we had last year, with the exception of Ty Lawson. But, the defense is laughably bad. Last year at this time we were saying how much better the defense was. What happened?

I don't really blame the coaches. The players know how to play defense, because they did it last year. The players did not forget how to play defense. They are just choosing not to play defense.

The thing about playing team defense. If one or two guys on the floor make no effort to play defense, then the whole thing will collapse.

something is seriously wrong with this team. What good would another coaching change do if the players hearts just aren't into playing hard? These players get payed a lot of money. They should be playing hard regardless of who the coach is. Don't these guys have any pride?

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I could score on Harden - he is the least attentive defender I have ever seen.

Disgraceful.

DD

10. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

harden's efense vs the rockets efense. in a game of 'who can drop 100 on you first' who wins? i say harden's efense this season far above any other season.

rockets defense is there, sometimes, in short 4-5 second spurts, but mostly they just bring their efense the whole game.

11. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

I wonder if they watch game film. There's no way you watch yourself play and continue to make the same fundamental mistakes over and over again.

12. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

must be a stripper show with a lotta booze during game film time

13. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if I was JB, I would tell Harden, to stay out the paint area or from around it , and face guard my man from now on....if and when you dont, you will sit

I cant believe we let that Harris kid have like 4 backdoor cuts in 2-3 minutes

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

If you watched closely, there was one player that repeatedly gave up back door cuts the entire game.

15. OpenLayup-Why3?

I haven't given up, but thanks for making threads about me.

<3

16. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

This is the Rockets weak side D:

• Leave the corner guy on weak side wide open to stand by the paint
    • If corner dude stays put and ball swings to him, he either has a wide open 3 (especially if Harden is guarding him cause he's usually late to run back), or does an easy pump fake and dribbles to rim for layup
    • If corner dude is smart, he cuts to the basket (especially if Harden is defending him, cause Harden doesnt even look there) for an easy layup
    And it seems like that is their strategy lol. There is no rotation whatsoever. They just overcommit to strong side and leave weak wide open. They did that last year to start out the year, but man they rotated so well. But that personnel was committed to D.

1 person likes this.
  17. eman

eman Contributing Member

Thornton was just following our leader's example. Ooooh lawds [in Shirley Q. Liquor voice] chile, I feels you. That was the special moment of fail last night. Just ignunt.:mad:

18. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Bruh...You couldn't score on a Filipino high school freshman...

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

How tall?

;)

DD

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Somebody please set up a Kickstarter to have DaDakota play James Harden 1 on 1. Would donate.