1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[B/R Zach Buckley] “Ranking the NBA’s Best Small-Ball Lineups this Season”

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ApacheWarrior, Apr 4, 2020.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Special Covid Edition - small strains.

2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Stats provided by:
    basketball-reference.com [go to Rockets game log....click game/date....it highlights that line of stats......then game/date further down.........highlights that line of stats plus all games in between....... stats are
    tabulated by site for those block of games]

and

NBA.com
    game tracker...........play-by-play. In those four games you can see the Rockets turnovers posted. I’ve never seen
    so many, “Turnover-Stepped Out Of Bounds” and “Turnover-Bad Pass Out Of Bounds” in the first half of games in my
    life......any team!! Technical fouls-Arguing With Refs were consistent and often in each game regardless of half.
    Either boneheaded frustration or let’s help the other team by giving them points.

When fighting for team seeding you don’t let frustrations get the best of you in 22 to 11 games left in the season.
    Final games 10 through 1 allows the players to mess around or take games off....depending on comfortable seeding
    or lack there of. IMHO.

P.S. I don’t think D’Antoni nor Morey was ordering anything else but win now, win often, win all the time.
    Again just my opinion. I don’t look down on the Rockets positioning themselves for favorable seeding.
    Nuggets were highly suspect at end of last regular season of trying to avoid the Rockets as long as
    they could in the playoffs. No one holds it against them.

#22 ApacheWarrior, Apr 9, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    DeBeards likes this.
  3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

@DeBeards
    Charlotte was 6 Wins and 18 Losses in 24 games prior to beating Rockets easily
    during 4-game losing streak. (per basketball-reference.com)

4. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Anyway, it's taking a great deal of courage as well as running a risk to maneuver situations to the team's advantage, after all there are 18-game left.
    If it is, i bet morey behind the wheel …he is a smart gambler.

5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I felt at the time that the Rockets would go down to Lakers, Bucks and Raptors (i believe Raps
    we’re still on the schedule) and fiddle around winning and losing while staying close to the Nuggets opposite
    seeding until 10 games remained. Then zero in during the final 10 games to secure that opposite seeding to
    Nuggets.

At the time I noted that the Nuggets were probably not going to uproot Clippers for 2nd seed or Lakers at 1st
    seed. Nuggets were kinda boxed in to either finish 3, 4 or 5th seed.

But I digress. The finish to the regular season won’t play out now. Probably only a playoff format, if that.
    Rockets having the Nuggets right where they wanted them. In my opinion.

6. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

thx a million.

agreed. so 4-game losing streak is something can't be explained for now.
    while 18 games left, any maneuver go to be crazy.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  7. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

nuggets are still young, what's more, as you mentioned, Jokic is gonna be their weak point while coming across rox's micro ball system. they may have a better chance to get away with in first round by moving up to second seed to show down with either dal or mem.
    for rockets, as long as we (rockets ) can prevent ourself head-on clash in first round with clippers, lakers and thunders, it's gonna be hands down we advance to second round.

8. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

House only took at most 8 shots a game.

Of the 8 shots that house took half were paint attempts.

The House put back in the Celtics overtime win came when harden got held scoreless in the fourth before the losing streak!

9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Do you have access to those stats smoothie or is it by memory?

Could you possibly tell me how many drives Westbrook and Harden took during the 12 game stretch vs how many drives they took during that 4 game stretch.

I feel Harden was easily more aggressive then vs during 4 game stretch. People say it's because teams were packing the paint. I don't feel the team would have more bad passes in kickouts then.

DeBeards likes this.
  10. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

11. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

All I know is house is my favorite player on the rockets.

In the Celtics overtime game, harden went scoreless in the fourth quarter.
    I know how many shots my favorite player takes.

House is a mix between former rockets Walt 'wizard' Williams and Carl Herrera in my opinion. House even has shades of Tracy mcgrady.

12. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Clint capeala was becoming a favorite.

Really like to see Jordan and the hornets get Clint capeala to become a contender in the east.

Michael Jordan deserves a Max player or mid level exception player to go with rozier and Graham!

13. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I don't particularly see the value in ranking small ball lineups against each other. Ultimately the point of the game is to have the best lineup without qualifiers. Who cares if you have the best small ball lineup if your lineup loses to most reasonably good teams with bigs in them - I'm not saying that about Houston specifically by the way, but talking about generally. The other problem there is generally most small ball lineups aren't "full time" and thus have limited data sets to analyze and the more those numbers are influenced by situational applications of the lineup. In other words, if my coach only played small ball lineups against other small ball lineups or maybe only in blowouts, etc - you would see wildly skewered results. According to those numbers, the Clippers best small ball lineup is missing both Kawhi AND Paul George - obviously that is not a lineup playing the other team's best lineup - that's clearly meant to match up to another team's bench guys.

I think we get too far in the weeds when we compare the Rockets' numbers against the small ball lineups of other teams - we miss the forrest for the trees. We still have to beat the Lakers, the Bucks, etc if we want a ring and that means whatever lineup we put out there has to be better than the lineups they play with their bigs.

14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Ok. I was hoping you had a subscription to a site that breaks down plays. Site like Synergy.

15. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

I'm not gonna trash the rockets.

God speed to nba.

House deserves most improved award, wish the team would have signed hartenstein to some years because hartenstein has potential. Hartenstein works hard and has yao Ming type potential.