1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

B/R - Picking 1990s NBA Starting 5

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by SKTTLZ, Aug 26, 2015.

1. SKTTLZ

SKTTLZ Member

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2554327-howard-becks-1990s-nba-starting-5

The rules are the player has to play in the 90s for 7 years. So Grant Hill, Chris Webber, Kevin Garnett, Kobe, Jason Kidd wasn't eligible.

Howard Beck selected:

1 - Gary Payton
    2 - Michael Jordan
    3 - Scottie Pippen
    4 - Karl Malone
    5 - Shaq

So Hakeem got snubbed. Is it me, or does Howard Beck seems to never give the Rockets a fair shake?

Mine would be...

1 - Penny Hardaway
    2 - Michael Jordan
    3 - Scottie Pippen
    4 - Charles Barkley (F' Karl Malone)
    5 - Dream

What would be yours?

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

pg gary payton
    sg michael jordan
    sf scottie pippen
    pf dennis rodman
    c HAKEEM olajuwon

i suppose it's a toss up with rodman or barkley for me. and payton or stockton.

but i think when you have hakeem/jordan there is no reason to take the ball out of their hands no matter what. and let them just focus on defense and being nasty like rodman/payton/pippen could be.

crazy good team.

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Penny
    Jordan
    Hill
    Olajuwon
    Robinson

:cool:

4. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

The only debatable positions are PG (Payton, Penny, Stockton) and PF (Chuck, Karl)

Center I think Dream is the obvious choice but I wouldn't begrudge anyone choosing Shaq.

SG and SF i think belong to MJ/Pip based on the criteria.

Honorable mentions include Mitch Richmond, Shawn Kemp, Kevin Johnson, Ewing, Spreewell, David Robinson, Alonzo Mourning, Glen Rice, Dennis Rodman, Reggie Miller, Dominque Wilkins

5. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

1st Team

PG - Gary Payton
    SG - Michael Jordan
    SF - Charles Barkley
    PF - Karl Malone
    C - Hakeem Olajuwon

2nd Team
    PG - John Stockton
    SG - Mitch Richmond (I believe he was a better player than Reggie Miller)
    SF - Dominique Wilkins
    PF - Chris Webber
    C - Shaquille O'Neal

3rd Team
    PG - Penny Hardaway
    SG - Reggie Miller
    SF - Scottie Pippen
    PF - Dennis Rodman
    C - David Robinson/Patrick Ewing (tie)

6. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

That is simply ridiculous considering Dream went head - to - head with Shaq and won. Shaq only became the most "dominant" center in the 2000's.

When talking 2000's, Shaq is without a doubt the best center, it's not even close between him and Yao (or Dwight if you want to add him to the mix).

But we're talking 90's. Hakeem proved he was the 2nd best player in the 90's after MJ. How can he not make the list when he doesn't play MJ's position. I don't get it.

Also, there's a lot of love for Penny. Agree that he's top 3, but I could take him over Glove and Stockton purely due to longevity and impact on the game. Sure Penny's peak was in the 90's, but he began to deteriorate in the 90's (I think it was around '98 where he declined). Glove was going strong past the 90's, as was Stockton.

As for Pippen? Based on criteria, he probably gets it by default, but it is very difficult to keep Grant Hill off that 1st team. He was elite through the entire 90's and only broke down after the 90's ended.

Mailman/Chuck - This is a real toss up. Jazz made more finals, so I think more non-Rockets fans would pick him over chuck, plus he generally gets more respect as an (almost) one-team player. As a rockets fan, I'd have to say Chuck. Mailman was a dirty b*stard. Chuck haf early 90's MVP and could have won a title if it weren't for us stopping him haha.

7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

As much as I hated Pippen in Houston, I would take Pippen over Barkley in your first team. He is a better complimatery player to the other four, especially on defense.

Hakeem-Malone-Pippen-Jordan-Payton would be impossible to score on. Elite one-on-one and team defenders at nearly every position.

8. Ns575

Ns575 Member

Pippen is so overrated

9. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

pg - penny
    sg - jordan
    sf - kemp
    pf - duncan (got y'all)
    c - dream

10. slestack11

slestack11 Member

The position I disagree with is PG. I get that Payton was a great defender and a team that fielded Payton, Jordan, and Pippen would be very hard to go against, but since you already have Jordan and Pippen, I think I'd go with Stockton at the PG. From 1987 through 1995, he led the league in assists and still had 10.6 assists per game in 1996. Payton had some weak years in the early 90's to balance out Stockton's roll-off in the late 90's.

As far as Shaq, I know this is a Rockets forum, but cmon. Sure, the Rockets beat the Magic in 1994, but that was Shaq's 3rd year in the league and Penny was in his 2nd season. David Robinson and Patrick Ewing also owned him a bit in his early years, but once he gained more experience and learned the ropes a bit, he was virtually unstoppable. With Hakeem falling off starting in 1997, I'd say Shaq's overall 1990's numbers were way better than Hakeem or any center in the 90s. Just take a look:
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/o/onealsh01.html

PG - John Stockton
    SG - Michael Jordan
    SF - Scottie Pippen
    PF - Karl Malone
    C - Shaq

11. slestack11

slestack11 Member

Pippen is probably the greatest win defender in the history of the NBA and was the point forward on a Bulls team that many consider the greatest of all time. I'd say he's quite under-rated because most just consider him in the shadow of Michael Jordan. I see him as the James Worthy of the 90's. Many don't consider Worthy one of the greatest ever, but he was quite essential to most of the Lakers titles in the 80s. Worthy might be the best wing finisher in the history of the NBA.

12. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Stockton
    Jordan
    Pippen
    Malone
    Dream

As much as i hated those Jazz. Thats my Dream team. Too bad Dream was not eligible for the 1st Dream team.

13. PJ86

PJ86 Member

Muggsy Bogues
    Michael Jordan
    Latrell Sprewell
    Dennis Rodman
    Hakeem Olajuwon

I picked this because of particular skills, how they complement each other and some are arguably the best at what their position requires of them. For example, Barkley was the better all round player and shooter. I want a defensive monster who can run and rebound since the other 3 can score. Bogues could dish like no other and drive opponents crazy and again doesn't need to shoot. He thrived in a running system.

14. what

what Member

In no universe is gary payton better than john stockton.

15. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Kenny SMith
    Mario Elie
    Vernon Maxwell
    Robert Horry
    Dream

16. dmorey

dmorey Member

smith - nope
    elie - nope
    max - nope
    horry -nope
    hakeem - yup

17. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

This statement is proof that you did not watch basketball in the 90's. As much as I hate Quitten due to his tenure with the Rockets, he was an amazing wing defender and a perfect complimentary second option. He was a phenomenal player who did lots of things very well but not someone you build a team around. He was the perfect Robin to Jordan's Batman and is probably one of the best SF's of the 90's when considering all around game.

Doesn't make me like him, but it is the truth.

18. SKTTLZ

SKTTLZ Member

I can agree to this. Underrated, probably. Underappreciated? I'd say definitely. I was watching the Game 5 of the 1991 Finals on NBATV the other day, and there are things he does that affect the game that are NOT on the box score. But if you want to bring up box score...

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=bbr&url=%2Fboxscores%2F199106120LAL.html&div=div_CHI_basic"></script>

You can say he had 7 TOs, but when you're relied on to handle the ball, set up team mates, and score: It's bound to happen (look at Harden's TOs last season). You can also argue that his 5 steals (!!!) and 1 block make up for those negative plays.

19. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

If we are to adhere to the guidelines given in the original post of playing at least 7 years in the 90s then guys drafted from 94 on would automatically be disqualified.

1st Team
    C- Hakeem Olajuwon
    PF- Karl Malone
    SF- Scottie Pippen
    SG- Michael Jordan
    PG- John Stockton

2nd Team
    C- David Robinson
    PF- Charles Barkley
    SF- Glen Rice
    SG- Clyde Drexler
    PG- Gary Payton

3rd Team
    C- Patrick Ewing
    PF- Shawn Kemp
    SF- Chris Mullin
    SG- Reggie Miller
    PG- Penny Hardaway

20. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

Penny already declined in 1996. He attributed it to getting kicked in the back of the knee by Joe Dumars. He was less explosive his last year with Shaq. 1996-1997 he missed a lot of games due to injury.

He was still a great pg, better than Payton in my opinion though GP was more tenacious and competitive.

My starting 5 would be Dream, MJ, Grant Hill, Malone, and Penny.