1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

B O'B has to be the Dumbest Football Coach.....

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ballgame, Sep 9, 2018.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

The Pats announcers almost sounded like Texans fans they were so baffled by the playcalling and time management. It was pretty funny to listen to.

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

And thus proves my point.

3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

So what the hell is your point? If it's the qbs OPTION to pull back and run himself, who the hell are you blaming?

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I was always a fan. After today, I'm thinking he better get his and the players' stuff together, or else he better put his home on the market.

Of course, not having Will Fuller, Keke Coutee, Carlos Watkins, Joel Heath, and Duke Edjifor really hurt us too. Fuller or Keke are critical in taking the top off the defense. That would have gone a long way in helping Watson. Watkins and heath are solid guys, especially when Covington went down. Duke may be good at getting more pressure on Brady.

All in all, I'm disappointed. It's a long season though. I'm proud of the way we battlefought our way back into it.

My biggest takeaway:

Watson has the IT factor. No matter how poorly he plays, you're almost always going to be within a score as the game goes down to the wire. I love that. We've never had that.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The game today was painful to watch start to finish -- hard to believe that was the game plan for the first of the season.

juanm34 and deb4rockets like this.
  6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I understand not calling a timeout with 2:03 left. For one they get a first down then you’re screwed - whereas they got a first down and still got the ball back because they had the three timeouts. For two you call the timeout and you invite a passing play because the clock is stopping anyway. Unfortunately they still ran a passing play and he texans couldn’t stop them.

I was more confused by not going for it on 4th and half a yard at mid Field To start the second half when they needed momentum and a score... then going for it on 4th and 5
    When they could have taken 3.

Mind you they take 3 there and get a two point conversion then they Justin need a fg at the end of the game.

Plus I think the pats drove down the field and scored after they failed to convert.

Plus they clearly weren’t going to hit that play. They were all off the prior two throws.

In any case... yes he sucks

joeson332 and macho GRANDE like this.
  7. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

This has been my takeaway from BOBs tenure here. Whatever his final record ends up being, it's been some of the most unwatchable Texans football in franchise history. That's not even counting the annual blowouts to good teams.

craigharmann and joeson332 like this.
  8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

BOB is going nowhere. There’s zero chance they let him go just to pay his contract at any point this year or probably even next. Unless he shoots Cal or something. Have to just hope Watson bails him out.

craigharmann likes this.
  9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Could have won if not for lots of bad throws, a crucial Watson turnover and drops. Anyway if you expected the Texans to go on the road and beat the AFC champs game one then you needn’t be taken seriously.

No Worries and conquistador#11 like this.
  10. RealRocFan47

RealRocFan47 Member

His QBR was much better in the second half, but again it goes to coaching...After all of that time off, DW4 should have gotten more snaps in the preseason. But back to BoB, he maybe needs to just be some type of QB coach or Coordinator, he’s proven with his game management skills that he doesn’t deserve to be a head coach.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I don't think Watson was bad considering that:

1. He doesn't have legit OL or TE to work with (or even a WR2 without Fuller) and the RBs are mediocre at best
    2. May have the worst offensive coordinator in the game
    3. Went up against the best team in the league.

He'll have accuracy and turnover issues at times. That's just who he is right now (basically still a rookie). But in the 2nd half you can see his quick release and ability to see the field can move the chains.

He just needs a coach to surround him with talent and a good system.

12. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

I agree with #3. I was for sure he would use a timeout. I was confused and second guessed my thought process when he didn't.

13. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

The dumb coach should have called timeout.

14. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The problem with every coach that comes from the Belichek tree is that, as part of your agreement to work for Belichek you consent to a metal probe being inserted in your head. Every time you play the Patriots, Belichek switches the probe on and the opposing coach stops thinking and starts drooling on the sidelines.

Aside from New England, BOB seems to be able to handle the chess match okay. But what's the point, if you are guaranteed to lose against the Pats every time? I'm pretty sure the Super Bowl still runs through them.

Malaya and Mr. Clutch like this.
  15. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I want to add a note about some of the stupid play designs. It was like he was intentionally setting up a 9 v 11 offense in the first half. Multiple times there was a kind of fake end around to the right side with Ellington in motion. The ball would snap when Ellington was basically behind Miller in the backfield and he would just kind of stand there and Miller would rush to the left. So you have a WR and the QB basically behind the play and not blocking from the start. Plus the motion brings the Pats defender into the middle of the field where he can break on the runner more easily.

It was run over and over and was terrible. He thought the motion would confuse a consistently disciplined defense so much that taking guys out of play pre snap was no big deal? Dumb.

craigharmann likes this.
  16. vick

vick Member

Last year Watson was Superman. This game he played like Elmer Fudd.

deb4rockets likes this.
  17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

They had a good chance to. They were on their way back.

18. Papa John

Papa John Member

Thats been the talk all week in houston. The optimism bias is cute around here

joeson332 and TheFreak like this.
  19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yep it worked last year because teams hadn't seen it from the Texans and Deshaun but they've scouted it.

20. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member