1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[AZ Central] McGrady Says He'll Play Against The Suns/Shane Questionable

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsPimp, Apr 10, 2008.

1. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Lock 'er up if it's already posted.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2008/04/10/20080410tmac.html

HOUSTON - Houston Rockets guard Tracy McGrady will play against the Suns on Friday night after missing Wednesday's game against Seattle with a sore left shoulder.

But team officials said Rockets forward Shane Battier was questionable for the game with a bruised left foot and ankle. Battier played 18 minutes on Wednesday, then sat out most of the second half as the Rockets pulled away for a 103-80 victory.

Houston is 53-25, one-half game ahead of Phoenix in the tight Western Conference standings.

"We'll just see who's available tomorrow," said Houston coach Rick Adelman. "I just have to rely on the medical people and those two guys being truthful and telling us how they feel."

McGrady initially sprained his shoulder late in Houston's 108-100 win over Sacramento on March 24. He played in Houston's next six games, but had recently started wearing a protective wrap.

He took a painkilling injection on Tuesday, but said he would be ready to play on Friday.

"I've still got some soreness in there, but I will be playing tomorrow," he said.

The Rockets have four games left in the regular season and McGrady is concerned now with getting himself healthy for the playoffs. Since hurting his shoulder, he's shot 37 percent from the field (56 of 150), including 6-for-24 from 3-point range.

"I want to be efficient when I'm out there," he said. "This is the time to be on top of your game. My shoulder being the way it is, it's been tough. Hopefully, I can turn it around and not so much worry about my shoulder and have it cause me to shoot so bad."

2. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Hmmm............

3. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Read into things much? ;)

4. Howyalikemenow

why play at this point...

Rest it up, McGrady!

5. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Agreed, I'd rather split our remaining 4 games and have T-Mac's shoulder rested up for the playoffs...

6. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

I know, I thought that was weird, too- but it also works the opposite way. Sometimes, players want to play when they really should give it a rest, so McGrady might say, "It's OK" when the shoulder is really bad. But, we know what happened with McGrady in the past- so maybe T-Mac has asked out of practices for minor things or something like that,and Adelman knows he can be a bit of a a drama queen (he's my favorite player, but you know what he's like sometimes). I really believe it's more of the former than the latter.

7. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

If we are going to end up in 5th, which is our best position for round one /2 then we must win the game against the Suns. We need all our players on the court. :p

8. Asian Sensation

Avoid the Lakers at all cost! At least till the WC Finals :p

9. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

I agree. I think especially with Battier he'd say he's good to go, knowing it was a big game, when really he needed rest.

And considering Tracy is saying he's going to play, it certainly lends itself to them playing when perhaps they shouldn't be.

But, I could see this turning into a 10 page T-Mac hate fest regardless.

10. bbjai

bbjai Member

guys obviously Adelman is referring to both players being truthful about being injured and not hiding the fact that they still have pain etc......

11. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

I think it's really more of a pre-playoff rest thing more then anything...it's bad timing considering that the Rockets are going through a week of hell (PHO/DEN/UTA) but then again, the bumps and bruises do add up over 70-something games.

Even if they straight up said "McGrady cannot play; not a serious injury but he needs rest.", I'd be perfectly alright with that. It just seems like the Rockets medical department speaks and works in mystery...

12. sook

sook Rookie

If we are down by 20 in the 2nd half we need to rest MAC

13. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Well we need Tracy in that game and we need Tracy in the right shape. I hope he will get it rolling now for the playoffs. I also hope that the injection will help him and he won't feel much pain in the shpulder in the game anymore.

We need to rest Shane. He's been working very hard the whole season and he needs a 'bigger' rest before playoffs.

14. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Missing Battier would hurt, and I don't want to downplay his significance, especially for the rest of the season and playoffs... BUT I think the Suns are actually one of the better teams near the top of the west for us to play without Battier. Grant Hill and Raja Bell aren't enough of a threat that Battier's 1-on-1 defense should be that big of a factor, and Battier's help D usually isn't where he has his biggest impact. Plus, it might make us a little smaller and quicker, which could potentially help us... but that's more speculation.

Anyways, I still definitely hope he can lace up.

15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

playoffs start in a week.

i'd rather hold them both out until they are 100%.