1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Awards Cinema] Call Me By Your Name

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Snow Villiers, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Just watched this last night I thought it was great. Rarely a film lives up the hype for me but this truly was a beautiful film. Will be rooting for this and 'Shape of Water' come Oscar night.

2. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Really want to see this. Heard it was tremendous.

Not to derail this thread, but why... WHY?!?!?... don't movie studios make all the Oscar nominees available to rent (via on demand, iTunes, Google Play, Amazon) before the Oscar ceremony? Wouldn't the Oscar telecast ratings be much higher if all the nominees were accessible?

I'd really love to watch Call Me By Your Name, 3 Billboards, and The Shape of Water before Sunday but just can't justify blind-buying those first two. Shape of Water isn't even available for purchase yet... not to mention Darkest Hour and Phantom Thread.

Ok sorry... rant over...

GRENDEL likes this.
  3. joeson332

joeson332 Member

lowkey want to see this before the Oscars.

4. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I loved Lady Bird, and probably will watch this before Sunday. Curious how this "coming of age" film stacks up with Lady Bird.

GRENDEL likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I luved me some Shape of Water but are the members of the Academy Creature/Scifi/Fantasy/Horror fans?

6. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

They did show some love to 'Gravity' a few years back. I do think the 'Old Hollywood' Shape of Water has could appeal to them.

7. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I love films like this, but I keep making excuses not to see it. It seems like it will be super heavy. Like I might be moved to having allergies... lately I've been watching garbage films.

Although, while not at the same intellectual level of this movie, Game Night was surprisingly epic.

Snow Villiers likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Should be an interesting award show.

9. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

I think Get Out got all the nominations that were supposed to be given to James Franco and The Disaster Artist but couldn't due to the Sexual Assault allegations. Not surprised some of those old timers feel that way.

10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I think one of the ulterior objectives of Oscar nominations is to maximize first-run box office for non-summer movies targeted to narrower and more affluent demographics, both for fall and winter box office and DVD sales down the road.

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Disaster was a good movie. Kind of sucks what happen to it due to Franco. I think it was better than Lady Bird or Get Out. Larry bird seemed like any coming of age movie.

Snow Villiers likes this.
  12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I could not finish the lady bird movie.

13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

This movie had some truly powerful scenes (maybe moreso than most of the other nominees) but it also had a lot of problems. There was a great movie somewhere there, but it missed the mark

I can also never look at a peach the same way again

Lady Bird is the still the best in the field imo, but I havent seen 3 Billboards, Phantom Thread, or The Post yet