1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

available 1st rounders in the #10-16 range

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Aruba77, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

As BetterThanEver's analysis shows, the Knicks' pick that Houston ownes will be #10, 11, 12, 15 or 16. I know the draft is a long way off, but i thought it might be interesting to zero in on the players that would actually be available in that range. I, for one, would be happy with any of the players below, with special affection for Terrance Jones, Beal, and Tony Mitchell. Who do you like from this list? (yes i left off Perry Jones cause he sucks)

Tony Mitchell -6’9” PF (North Texas) -19 yrs old
    Bradley Beal -6’4” SG (Florida) -18 yrs old
    John Henson-6’10” PF/C (NC) -21 yrs old
    Kendall Marshall-6’4” PG (NC) -20 yrs old
    Jeremy Lamb -6’5” SG (UCONN) -19 yrs old
    Terrence Jones -6’9” PF/SF (UK) -20 yrs old
    Terrence Ross -6’7” SF/SG (Washington) -21 yrs old

I’m assuming Sullinger, Robinson, Kid-Gilchrest, Barnes, Drummond, and Davis are off the board.

2. da_juice

da_juice Member

Hmmm, some talent- but not at the positions we need.
    My guess is we try to trade the pick to move up or down to get a big man.

3. Pete the Cheat

I guess I missed this analysis, but the logic is flawed...14 teams comprise the lottery, and it's hard to project the Knicks being one of those teams considering the shape the East is in.
    If you want to wax philosophical on players who might be available you should really be focusing on pick #15 and up.

4. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

I've seen Terrence Jones play a few times this year, and there is just something about him that I love. He plays with a chip on his shoulder, and although that can be a bad thing during heated games, I think it'll drive him to become the best possible player he can be, which I believe could be a more efficient Al Harrington.

That said, he's basically Morris v 2.0, except a little more mobile, so I doubt the Rockets take him unless Morris is included in some sort of trade. Outside of that, I'd like to take Leonard or Moultrie. We need to take advantage of having McHale as a coach and try to turn one of these talented big men into a low post threat to replace Scola/Yao. Dream scenario would be somehow trading up to nab either a Jeremy Lamb, Austin Rivers, or Jared Sullinger. Game changers, imo.

5. AFS

AFS Member

I think that analysis is assuming that the Knicks end up one-and-done in the playoffs.

6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Pete the cheat, the Knicks are 2 games from missing the playoffs. They are not a lock by any means. BetterThanEver did some great analysis in the "Knicks' pick thread" Assuming they do not beat Chicago or Miami in the first round, the Knicks' pick will not be lower than #16. That's pretty much the floor. The ceiling is about #10.

7. Pete the Cheat

how they do in the playoffs will have no bearing on their draft pick. it is inverse order based on regular season.

take a look at the teams outside the playoffs in the East. Cleveland is the closest team threatening...sorry, unless there is a massive meltdown I can't see NYK missing the playoffs...just too much talent for such a bad conference.

8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I'm a big fan of Terrence Jones too.

I think he's already 'ahead' of Morris in terms of being a "3" - since that's what he's playing at college.
    The big knock on him is that he disappears at times in games.

All the potential to be a big time star, but perhaps lacks the leadership/desire/aggression to take over.

9. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

That's true, but we are still likely to make a trade this year. This is the best mid round talent we have seen in a long time when considering upside.

I love John Henson if he's available. Questions about his upside on offense of course.

If it's a lower pick Tony Mitchell. This guy looks like a young, more explosive Rodman. Questions about personality and all. Best talent on the board that might drop to the 20's.

Kendall Marshall... I can't watch enough of his game on offense, but wonder if he is athletic enough to guard his own position.

10. Glide#22

Glide#22 Member

The contract of Martin will soon ben ended (and he could be traded).
    As for me, i think that if we can draft Lamb, Beal or Rivers, it would be the best choice.

11. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Yeah, we should draft a lotto shooting guard for the future. Martin can't be part of our future. We need quality two way players like Lowry, Parsons and Patpat

12. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Damian Lillard or Austin Rivers

13. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

One game aberration for Marshall. He's needs to become a better jump/mid range shooter, while he's ok defensively. With that being said, he can be a solid NBA point guard, because he is an outstanding facilitator.

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

Bradley Beal will wind up being over 6'5" in shoes after he's done growing and is a highly skilled SG. Star potential IMO.

15. rockets06

rockets06 Member

I'm interested to see what happens with our SG situation by the deadline. But don't think Beal will be available at our pick which I believe will be between 15-17. I believe Terrance Ross would be a solid pick but his stock may be rising as well. So as I've looked at for so long I'm hoping for "Meyers Leonard" to help in the front-court to pair with Motiejunas next season. Then Marcus Denmon with our 2nd rd pick that can play both PG and SG.

16. lionaire

lionaire Member

We need star potential... aka Austin Rivers.

17. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Austin Rivers would possibly be the next Monte Ellis. I'd make a move for him if he comes out this year.

18. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Morey probably wouldn't draft Rivers with Alexander's vision in place. Based on his record of drafting DMo, Patpat, he is not the type (forced by Alexander) to draft players with high potential/bust potential. Morey must settle for the safe, ready to play, players year after year.

19. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Beal, Lamb, Miller, Rivers, Jones and Leonard in no particular order.

Look for 3 of them to be off the board by the time we pick though.

20. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I agree that Morey does often go after the undervalued prospects, but does necessarily lead to having better players. It's debatable.

1. Safe (players). I guess, but again what does safe denotes. It's a perspective thing.

2. Ready to play. We've had a few players go down to D-League, or languish on the bench.

3. NBA starters: Toss-up