1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[AUTOMOTIVE HELP] Transmission Fluid for '99 Montero Sport?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SwoLy-D, Aug 16, 2008.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

My dad has a '99 Mitsubishi Montero Sport that is beginning to show signs of trouble on its transmission.

For those of you with a mechanic's eye and experience for all auto repair needs, do you know if there is a specific type of fluid he has to change, or are they all the same? :confused:

It is an automatic transmission. I don't know the size of the engine, but I know that he might need more work that could total up to $1000, but he wants to flush the oil on his own.

I tried searching for the Haynes manual for it, but they don't sell it for models past 1993.

Either way, what type of transmission fluid? Automatic '99 Montero Sport. Thanks in advance.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

There was some sort of recall on 99 montero transmissions -- have you looked into that ?

3. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

What about transmission fluid for a '84 Cadillac Deville

4. SwoLy-D

I noticed there were some recalls, and I looked, but not as carefully as I should have :eek:.

ReyChita 1
    SwoLy 0

Thanks for the heads up, KingCheetah. I found this:

http://www.mitsubishisucks.com/cars/recalls/usa/montero-sport.html
    I'll forward this over to him, and will call the dealer.

Still, and for the future reference and while I call Mitsu motors, what type of ATF would it be or are they all the same?? :confused:

5. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

"she said she drove a 1998 Montero"

name that song.

6. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Not really, there are additives and friction modifiers specific to certain ATF fluids. Also the viscocity if not correct could cause erratic shifts and slippage. When you call Mitsu talk to the service department and ask if they have an "Mitsubishi" brand of ATF. Honda, Toyota and Ford use their own brand of fluids and is not too expensive.

7. SwoLy-D

^ Well, still, it's just for him to do the flush at home. I don't think he'll be putting in any additives to the regular OIL. I'll call the dealer. Thanks. :cool:

8. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

yeah, I work for GM and for fluids, motor oil we use Mobile 1 (synthetic and regular 10w-30) and for transmissions, its GM Dexron-VI ATF

And for Mitsu, oil is the same and transmission fluid is Mitsu brand.

9. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I'd recommend a fluid exchange from a semi-pro. Or you can do a pan removal replacement with a screen clean -and have them add a quart of Lucas tranny stuff before adding the fluid - I'm a big Lucas believer. However, my experience has been that once problems occur, you can only temp prolong the problem - it will return. ie. Unload the car or prepare for an overhaul.

10. updawg

updawg Member

how the fark did you know that?