1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Auto Insurance

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HR Dept, Nov 2, 2015.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I just want to see what others similar to me are paying and if there’s reason for me to start to shop around.

Insurance w/ Geico: $1130, Six Month Premium (Just shy of $200/month). Full collision, uninsured, roadside, rental, and $500 deductable.

My Info:
    Married, we’re both 29
    Two late model vehicles (F-150 SuperCrew / Kia Optima)
    No traffic tickets since 2011
    No accidents or claims

Anyone similar paying considerably less than this?

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I'm paying less. Get a broker to shop around for you. They get a commission, you get a cheaper rate. Everyone wins.

3. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

That seems like a lot. I have Geico and 3 vehicles two of which are full coverage. My deductible is 250 and 6 months premium is 1244.....that is with 3 drivers one of whom is 16 yrs old!

4. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

My auto insurance covers everything you mentioned and I'm paying less than half of that. I have a similar driving record as well. Shop around

5. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

coverage limits?

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

No idea if your price is good or not, but the answer is always shop around. Insurance and many other industries offer competitive rates on the first contract to acquire new customers, and then fatten their margins on the renewal contract.

7. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

That price is for both my wife and me together, you're getting that type of coverage for two people at $100 a month?

$100k Body Injury Liability per person, up to $300k
    $50k Property Damage liability
    $30k Uninsured Motorist Bodily injury per person, up to $60k
    $25k Unisured Motorist, $250 deductible
    $500 Collision and Comprehensive deductible
    $50/Day, $1500 max Rental Car Reimbursement

8. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Looks right to me. What a lot of posters fail to mention is what year/model vehicle they are driving. A 1998 civic is going to cost less than a 2011 ford truck.

I have a 2015 vehicle that is around $40k and my coverage is very similar to yours. I'm paying a little over $400/6 months. Well, I guess yours is a little more expensive. Shop around!

9. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I'm paying a little less than you, with similar coverage. 3 cars (2 full coverage). Wife and I are both 29. No tickets except for one or two over 10 years ago. Deductible is $250.

I called my agent this past year just see if we could get it down somehow, and they were able to. Wouldn't hurt just to ask if they're missing any discounts or anything and say you're considering shopping around.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I'm paying less than $100 a month with State Farm for a Ford Flex and Volvo C70 convertible. Full coverage.

I get Accident Free, multiple autos, multiple line and vehicle safety discounts.

11. Asian Sensation

A lot of it has to do with your insurance score which factors credit into the tiering. Also, what area of the city you live in makes a big difference among a bunch of other things. Just shop around and see what others can do.

12. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

For my wife and I (2 cars), we pay $115 a month with Geico. We both drive older cars (2007/2008), don't have rental reimburse and have higher deductibles ($1000 on collision and comprehensive).

The deductible is probably most of why you're paying more - you might be better off taking that extra $50-$75 a month that you would likely save with a higher deductible and stashing it in an emergency fund.

Doing some napkin math, in 1-1.5 years with no incidents, you'll have saved enough to nearly make up the difference in going from a $250 to $1000 deductible...$50/month savings times 1 year = $600. Build that up a little more and earmark it as your deductible payment, rather than automatically handing it over to Geico in a monthly form just so that you can pay a lower deductible in the event of an accident. Then if you have to use it, build it up again, but other than that the leftover cash is yours to keep.

13. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Your Uninsured Motorist/Underinsured Motorist should match your limits of liability, in my opinion. You're covered if you have an at fault accident for up to 100k per person, 300k total no matter how many people are involved, and 50k for property damage. But if someone hits you and runs, has no insurance, or not enough insurance, you and people in your car are only covered for up to 30k, 60k total, and 25k property damage.

I work with a broker based in Richmond, and Safeco used to have awesome rates (they're still good), but Travelers is incredible right now. I've been using them a lot lately. Farmers has decent auto rates, and AAA is really good too.

If I were you I'd try Travelers or AAA.

14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I have a minimal full coverage policy with a $500.00 deductible for $60.00 a month. I probably should up my coverage.

15. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

We are with GEICO with similar coverage and pay $86/month.... but we are older and we are in NC not TX