1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Austin's slooooow feet.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketExpert, Jul 19, 2000.

1. RocketExpert

RocketExpert Member

Isn't anyone concerned that Croshere allowed Robert Horry to drive to the basket repeatedly during the Finals?? When is the last time Horry was seen doing anything else buy spotting up and setting picks?

Croshere will be forced to play power forward if he comes to the Rockets, and he will be dominated by Duncan, Garnett, Webber, etc.. I like Croshere alot as a player, but he is a role player. I don't ever see Croshere as the starter of a Championship team, because you have to play "D" to get the ring.

------------------

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Sorry, I don't remember Horry driving to the basket even once on Croshere. Croshere actually has been noted for his footwork. Croshere is an excellent banger and defender- he is not at all a poor defender. In fact, he is an excellent one IMO.

------------------
    Member of the pro-Collier/Langhi movement. IN RUDY WE TRUST!!

3. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Contributing Member

I saw Horry driving to the Gold Cup one night. No offense, but not even Jordan could stop him. [​IMG]

------------------
    "Stranger things have happened, but none stranger than this" - Commentator after a parachutist landed in the ring of a Holyfield fight

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

RocketExpert,

Your name would imply that you know things about the game.

If you do, then you would know that Croshere is incredibly agile for a PF/SF.

He has skills and footspeed.

DaDakota

------------------

5. RocketExpert

RocketExpert Member

With all due respect, I don't know if we were watching the same game. Horry repeatedly got past Croshere, even though Horry has never been known for his first step.

In fact, I would love to have Horry back. His weak side shotblocking and over all team play would compliment Francis and Cato perfectly.

Croshere may help spread the floor with his sharpshooting, but defense is what wins championships, and Croshere will get schooled by the power forwards of the Western Conference.

------------------

6. The Cat

We must have been watching something different. Does anyone else here remember Horry ever driving by Croshere repeatedly? I sure don't remember it ever. Does everyone else agree that Croshere has great footspeed, footwork, and defense? Those were my impressions of him in the Finals. I don't remember any PF schooling him, and sure as heck don't even remember Horry going by him even once.

------------------

7. RocketExpert

RocketExpert Member

Yes, Croshere is an agile big man, but let's look at who he will compete against in the West. Malone, Grant, Webber, Duncan, Garnett, Wallace, Baker, Swift, McDyess, and Horry (who outplay Croshere in the Finals when they were guarding one another, in my opinion).

Croshere is a great bench weapon that can be used very effectively to create match up problems. I just don't see him winning very many matchups at the power forward spot, and there is no way he can guard the 3s.

I think that the Rockets ought to save the money and get a true banger who can hit the 12-15 footer and block shots on the weak side. Also, the Rockets need a 3 that can slash to the basket and hold his own defensively. Croshere does not fill either need.

------------------

8. The Cat

No offense, but that one had be laughing so hard it's ridiculous. All the NBA discussions I had with friends during the Finals centered around Croshere/Horry and how bad Croshere was embarrassing him. Heck, even my own mother who doesn't watch much basketball at all, made references to "I thought Horry used to be a good player, but that Croshere is killing him." Croshere one on one against Horry was about the funniest thing I had ever seen. Croshere killed him. Every time. It wasn't even close. He literally embarraseed Horry and beat him defensively, offensively, and in every aspect of the game. Heck, he had several games of like 22 points/8 rebounds.

------------------

9. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

Though totally overstated, I do think RocketExpert has a point in there. I don't think Croshere will a a great defensive player. If I recall throughout the playoffs guys Dale Davis could handle (Ratliff, K. Thomas) 1 on 1 roasted Croshere and so Indiana would try to send help his way the next time Austin was alone. He also had trouble with offensively skilled 3's (Houston, T. Thomas, Big Dog, Rice), but Horry had trouble with such players too even in his prime (Detlef Scrempf tore him a new one in 96).

So Austin isn't a savior and isn't as good of a low block defender as Dale Davis or wing defender as say Quitten in his prime. But he can shoot pretty well from a variety of spots, has pretty good feet, and plays aggressive. He may not be great at anyone one thing, but he isn't bad at anything (no big liability other teams will focus target) and appears to play hard. Those things right there make him much preffered player over Horry and a better starter than any forward we currently have. He thus would be a very solid addition, and well worth 4-5 mil per year.

[This message has been edited by sir scarvajal (edited July 19, 2000).]

10. chinese

chinese Member

Croshere looked like Karl Malone or Sir Barkley facing Horry to some
    extent during last NBA finals, that is the reason Rockets wants him.
    Horry, however ,made a few crucial shots which were not due to Croshere's
    faults.

------------------

11. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

I like Croshere, but face it- i would rather start Wizard, Tank this season, and get Gerald Wallace next year. Of course, houston would end up picking Troy Murphy even if they had the 1st pick in the draft(only white guy)

------------------
    "There are two rules for success... 1) Never tell everything you know."

12. The Cat

Will you guys shut up about tanking? This team will not ever tank. We are too good for it, and have too much character. Also, Croshere would start over KT not Walt. And actually, I'd love for Houston to take Troy Murphy in next year's draft- he is a good player. (obviously not at #1 but we won't be there anyway)

And if Houston only picks white guys, how did we come across Steve? Shandon? KT? Sorry, the Rockets go for talent and who will fit best with their team, and if the player is white, then so be it. It isn't about the color of your skin- it's about how you play basketball. So why not shut up this stupid white/black argument? It makes no sense.

------------------

13. RocketExpert

RocketExpert Member

Sorry, but I disagree completely. So do the NBC announcing crew from the Finals, and the statistics. When Horry was on the floor, the Lakers outscored their opponents by a wide margin during the playoffs.

Also, you can't compare Horry and Croshere by discussing the number of points scored by each. Croshere is a talented one on one player who has the green light on offense. If he gets minutes and is not double teamed, he will score. I don't question his offensive ability. I DO question his ability to disrupt another team's offensive plays like Horry, McDyess, and Garnett can.

Croshere will be a defensive liability much like Barkley was. The Rockets will be forced to double team Croshere's man, opening up the three point line for the opponents. Championships are won with interior defense, and starting Croshere is a waste of valuable resources in the age of the salary cap.

------------------

14. SlamN

SlamN Member

Croshere doesn't play great D but he at least he plays D. He gets beat but he can beat people at the other end as well. He's not going to be a dominating PF, but will be a great role player. At $4-5 million per year, I guess its a good deal (by today's standards) for a player of Croshere's talent and experience.

------------------

15. The Cat

You're now comparing Horry with McDyess and Garnett? Actually, NBC completely agreed with me. All series long they talked about how great Croshere was when he came in, and what a lift he gave the Pacers. The stats back it up too. And so what if the Lakers are so much better point-wise when Horry is in the game? We're talking about Croshere here, not Horry. Croshere killed him one on one, but the game is not one on one. It's a team game. Just because the Lakers scored better with Horry has no bearing whatsoever on your argument of Horry beating Croshere off the dribble. And you're now downgrading Barkley? I'm sorry, but Charles is one of the top two power forwards to ever play the game IMO, and I will take Charles and his game, including defense, any day and put him against almost anyone. Croshere is a tough, hardnosed player, and I personally love his overall game.

------------------

16. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Great defensive teams & players are made by hustle not necassirly ability. Look at what was regarded as the best defensive team of the 90's- the Bulls.
    Yeah MJ was a very good defender who benefitted from many calls. Pip we saw here isn't a great one-on-one defender but when he is allowed to roam he can create havoc, Rodman was too skinny to play PF vs the big men he guarded (Karl, Shaq, etc) yet through hustle he excelled, Harper was well past his prime and most PGs could beat him one-on-one, and Kukoc was one of the worst defenders in the league.
    My point is this. Hustle (MJ, Pip, & Rodman all worked their tails off on D) makes a defense, it creates TOs, and allows aggresive defenders to get beat, but they know someone will have their back.
    MY & Rodman could both go one on one vs most of their opponent on the defensive side of the ball, but the other 3 guys (includidn Pip who is a good team defender) weren't great one-on-one defenders.

------------------

17. MManal

MManal Member

It isn't about the color of your skin- it's about how you play basketball. So why not shut up this stupid white/black argument? It makes no sense.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

18. RocketExpert

RocketExpert Member

Cat, I think Horry outplayed Croshere in the Finals. I think Horry filled his role better than Croshere in the Finals. I would rather have Horry than Croshere on the Rockets.

Croshere is a role player, and a good one. If the Rockets make him their starter though, I don't think you will be so enamored with him. D-E-F-E-N-S-E is how the Rockets won championships, and I want to see a shotblocker playing power forward for the Rockets.

------------------

19. The Cat

Poll here for you guys:

1.) Who was the better player in the Finals- Croshere or Horry?

2.) Who would be a better Rocket- Croshere or Horry?

Both of those questions are such jokes IMO, but let's just have a response anyway. Maybe it will settle this a little bit.

------------------

20. haven

haven Member

RocketExpert: The Lakers did better with Horry in the game because he's a significant upgrade from AC GREEN... not something to be particularly proud of. When AC played, the Pacers EXPLOITED him. Horry wasn't terrific, but he wasn't such a liability.

I too saw Horry drive past Croshere... ONCE. It was a terrific play, but it only happened one time. Horry got a nice highlight reel dunk.... which evidently is still reverberating in your mind.

But sorry, Croshere outplayed Horry badly. Croshere and Rose were the only two players who DID outplay their counterparts on the Lakers.

If you want to deny this, answer: why did the series go to 6, and why was it all so close? Because Rose slaughtered Rice, and Croshere had a significant edge over Horry.

Croshere isn't fast, but he has good footwork and tenacious effort. Will he be more than a roleplayer? Maybe not, but I think he'll be a 15/8 roleplayer, which is in the top 20%. Fine with me.

Most of you seem to only give value to superstars.

------------------