1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Austin Rivers response to Game 6

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Jun 6, 2019.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Decided is an overstatement, since GS overcame Houston's 87%+ win probability earlier that same quarter! But I digress, because that's not really the point.

You're not wrong in terms of the timing, but the biggest change wasn't Houston's offensive production. It was Golden State's outburst. The Warriors scored 25 points through almost the first 14 minutes of the second half... and then 36 in the final 10 minutes.

Houston specifically got its separation when the Warriors scored 2 points in the final 2:00 of the third quarter and 0 in the first 1:30 of the fourth quarter... allowing the Rockets to go from -1 to +7. You can point out that Houston's best defensive minutes there were without Harden and you'd be correct, though it should be noted that Curry also sat out for a chunk and obviously that hurt GSW's offense.

The main point, though, is that the biggest reason the game was lost in the fourth quarter is because Curry got insanely hot and/or the Rockets didn't have the answers defensively to counter. Blaming it on Harden's lack of aggression on offense (as Jackson did) is just silly, especially when the numbers show he was significantly more aggressive and efficient than his teammates in that stretch.

#161 The Cat, Jun 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I wouldn't be surprised if Jackson was thinking of the wrong game.

The 3 turnovers should also be mentioned. He should have 3-4, maybe 5 in the entire game. To have 3 in the deciding stretch, two of which are live ball, is atrocious.

Maybe harden wasn't passive, but Curry became ridiculously aggressive.

3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Curry had a thing going with the Draymond PnR we had zero answer for. The game was essentially over when Curry started heating up from 3. No amount of offensive output from our team can match up. Harden simply cannot have the same out put with his offense vs Curry/dray PnR

4. The Cat

That Draymond turnover, though...

1) I still contend that that's an awful, awful call given the situation
    2) Even if you do blame Harden for it, it certainly wasn't a "passive" mistake. The contact was because he wanted to keep the ball for himself and create, rather than pass it to CP or Gordon on the wing (what Draymond was trying to get him to do)

I don't think it's that Curry was any more aggressive than Harden. After all, Harden getting off 8 FGAs in 8 minutes, even with the aforementioned turnover possessions, is very high usage. Curry just made a couple more. Whereas Harden is a good shooter, Curry is probably the best of all-time, which makes it more likely that he's going to have stretches where he just gets unconscious.

Maybe Jackson was thinking of the wrong game, but if you're an NBA analyst on ESPN doing a live segment about Game 6, I'd like to think you'd do enough homework to at least remember the game in question.

D-rock and BigM like this.
  5. Mr. Clutch

We were down 5 after 3 harden turnovers. If just one of those possessions is a score that makes a big difference

Why couldn't our offense keep up? Isn't it historic?

6. Major

Major Member

What NBA players call out any other players' performances openly? I'm not sure this means anything either way.

Probably because for the last few years, the Rockets have said everything they do is to try to beat Golden State, so that's going to be the standard they get measured by.

7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Austin Rivers: *doesn't answer question*
    Clutchfans: 9 pages of speculation

Deuce, D-rock, BigM and 2 others like this.
  8. Mr. Clutch

Agreed Jackson is an idiot who gets the details wrong for a pre determined narrative

But then we get down to the heart of the matter. Curry is the greatest shooter of all time and he's just better than harden at this point. Until our superstar outplays theirs, we can't expect to win

9. Mr. Clutch

And the rockets offense hasnt really been good for the last two playoff years. Really it's the defense that has been winning playoff series

10. The Cat

It wasn't that way for the series as a whole. Harden definitely outplayed Curry overall. But Steph was better in Game 6, and that was the elimination game... so as far as what most directly or lastly knocked them out, fair enough.

bulkatron and napalm06 like this.
  11. Mr. Clutch

End of game 5 too. Before that Curry deferred to Durant which actually favored the rockets as we prefer opponents take tough 2s all day

12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Curry or Durant or anyone else on that team can take nearly the entire game off without the repercussion that happens if Harden is bad for a quarter. Thus is the benefit of that roster.

Harden was better than Curry in the series.

13. Mr. Clutch

By box score numbers yes. By +/- and impact not so much

14. HP3

HP3 Member

lol enlighten me which imlact numbers. If it’s just plus minus and offensive rating I don’t want to hear it. And you keep making excuses about him “”deferring” with Durant on the floor when you you’ve even given evidence of them being better on the floor with Durant. Harden outplayed Curry this series that is a fact.

If Curry was so much better than Harden like you say why was this series advert close as it was?

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. Mr. Clutch

It honestly wasn't that close once Curry took over subsequent to the Durant injury.

The Durant iso doesn't work that well unless Curry is on the floor. It stops teams from sending help and gives Durant wide open lanes.

BTW that doesn't mean harden played poorly. He clearly didn't most of the series. I think he's right there with Durant.

#175 Mr. Clutch, Jun 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Solid kid, raised right by a very good basketball player and coach who obviously didn't pull his punches when raising him.

17. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

No the answer is you and people like you gave up on harden

18. Mr. Clutch

I actually have given ways harden can improve. It's easy:

-move off ball
    -control turnovers
    -play at a faster pace
    -more effort on D

And he'll truly be an mvp again like in 2015.

I think the people who say harden can't move are the ones who have given up

19. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

1. "Every's dream is to play for MDA, he lets you do whatever you do... "

Lmao, again says the dude is not coaching.

2. "MDA will bench you for taking mid range"

This is why we miss 27 threes in G7 last playoffs.

This is why Harden did not take wide open mid range...

In a word, MDA will never win championship. Mark my word.

20. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

I think this post deserves a single thread.