1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Austin Rivers response to Game 6

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Jun 6, 2019.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I was disappointed that EG didn't get more shots in Game 6. CP could have done a better job at that despite his very good game. Rivers and EG should have gone after Curry in the second half.

Harden needs to have more confidence in himself down the stretch, but he clearly needs more help.

lilbird20, BaselineFade and amaru like this.
  2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Moreyball getting called out...by his OWN PLAYERS lmao.

Expect Morey to let Rivers go this offseason and sign Michael Carter Williams v2 to replace him.

No one undermines Morey's strategy.

LosPollosHermanos, J.R. and cheke64 like this.
  3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Didn't watch the video. But from the transcript seems like some pretty candid comments from Rivers. He says what we were suspecting. ISO works but at the same time there needs to be adjustments.

Maybe things like those *adjustments* (or lack there of) are the things Harden was mentioned at the post game presser on "what needs to change."

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Um, it's 100% right. Here's the play-by-play log. 89-85 was with 9:57 left (that's when Harden entered, in the timeout following the botched 3 on 1 fastbreak that became a Klay transition 3).

https://www.espn.com/nba/playbyplay?gameId=401129358

It's also misleading to insinuate the game was over at 102-97. That was with 3:09 left, not 2 minutes. Harden immediately buried a TOUGH three to get Houston back within 2. From there, they forced a stop and had the ball with a chance to tie or take the lead... before the Draymond flop. The game was far, far from over. He also had a driving layup to bring the Rockets back within one possession in the final minute.

In that 8+ minute stretch:

Harden 5/8, 12 points
    Paul 1/3, 2 points
    Gordon 0/2, 0 points
    Tucker, Capela, Green all 0/1, 0 points

Harden literally took two more shots than the rest of the team combined, and he outscored them 12-2. To say Harden laid back while everyone else shot, as Jackson did, is just false. There's no way to spin it. Either he's blatantly lying, or he's confusing Game 6 with Game 5... but either way, it's wrong and it's absolutely inexcusable for ESPN to employ someone like that.

Finally, as for what happened on the defensive end, here's the best breakdown of it that I've seen. Spoiler alert: Harden isn't near the top of the list when it comes to culpability.

D-rock, BaselineFade, Vivi and 3 others like this.
  5. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Uhh. Did you watch it?

He said clearly Houston has been the 2nd best team in the West during this stretch and that the system works, but he believes against the Warriors some variation would help.

D-rock likes this.
  6. tc0330

tc0330 Member

thanks for clearing this up. i got confused too. so its clear his supporting cast, still, needs an upgrade....again.

7. The Cat

I also don't know why some are presenting Austin's comments as though they're evidence against the logic that the Warriors are historically great and nobody else has beaten them, either.

I won't speak for everyone else, but I've never used that logic as a means to 100% defend the current system or philosophy. There do need to be some changes, IMO, precisely because the bar is so historically high. I only point out that context when trolls start the "lmao choking bums, this team is an embarrassment" nonsense. There's a middle ground in which you can want certain changes (i.e. what Austin seems to be suggesting) without believing that the entire franchise needs to be burned to the ground.

D-rock, hakeem94, Vivi and 3 others like this.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Facts > Narrative.

Jackson could be presented with these facts and still say something like "I know Harden scored 12pts but it doesnt feel like he put his imprint on the game."

When you don't like facts, you can just go to the *feels like* card to make up whatever you want.

What a world!

D-rock, rgw20014life, Nook and 3 others like this.
  9. lionaire

lionaire Member

NBA twitter/reddit about to eat these Rivers comments up

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

It be like that

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Right, this isn't binary. There is a grey area. Context and nuance.

12. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I feel like I go through this on this message board at least once a week. lol

Present facts....

“I don’t really care what your facts say or if i can even trust your facts, what I do know is that I watch the games and I know what I saw...”

HP3 and Deuce like this.
  13. The Cat

I've already seen some starting to suggest that maybe Harden should have gotten CP or Gordon more involved in that stretch. Which is hilarious, because folks b****ed at him for doing exactly that in the fourth quarter of Game 5 (when they scored on 9 of 11 possessions, and the only ones they didn't were Tucker's missed layup and the corner 3 he made but with his heel OOB).

Per usual, they're more interested in complaining and being loud than actually trying to figure out what happened and how to best improve it.

biff17, D-rock, hakeem94 and 8 others like this.
  14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Our defense went to **** and we made terrible adjustments to them playing without Durant. This wasn’t a Harden choke job. The only bright side of the continued media and clutch bbs barrage of asinine Harden takes is that it makes it damn easy to weed out the morons.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

• Harden takes too many shots to take control of the game = ball hog
    • Harden moves the ball around to get others involved = He isn't taking over the game like he should.

It is a lose / lose situation if this is the narrative. Goal Post shifting to the max

D-rock, Hmc415, jordnnnn and 4 others like this.
  16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Moreyball is the opposite of variation. It's literally doing the same thing over and over again because percentages.

cheke64 likes this.
  17. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

He's the best player off the bench for the Rockets and helps with closing in on and sustaining leads. He has to be the priority but I'm not sure he wants to play with disfunctionality next season with all this drama with a low balling owner. I suspect Tillman can't afford or is unwilling to do key trades for a shot at the chip.

#137 Sanctity, Jun 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  18. HP3

HP3 Member

I think there is a mis understanding about what you think Morey ball is.

19. tc0330

tc0330 Member

because percentages

20. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

Media just trying to stir stuff up, even more so because its Houston.