1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Austin Rivers has left the bubble due to an urgent family matter

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tmac2therack, Jul 24, 2020.

1. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

Hope everything is ok and he can get back to the team soon.

2. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

#2 alexcapone, Jul 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    daywalker02 likes this.
  3. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

D-rock likes this.
  4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I hope everything is ok. The conspiracy side of me worries that this is code for a positive test, but I doubt it. Wishing the best for him and his family.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

hopefully everything is ok. His immediate family is about 20 mins away from the bubble, unless it's something outside of that which would likely include Doc

6. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Shams also tweeted he is expected to be back this weekend, so it doesn't appear there would be any question of a positive test being hidden (unless it's through various layers of course lol)

D-rock and TMac'n like this.
  7. Juxtaposed Jolt

If he tested positive, wouldn't the reaction be less of a "Chicken Little" situation? Like, couldn't he just quarantine himself in a specific location inside the bubble until he tests negative instead of having to leave the bubble completely? Play it off as though he's nursing an injury that occurred in practice or something?

Not sure what the rules are for a player that tests positive after having tested negative. Since there was a tweet about how all the NBA players on site recently tested negative, this is concerning. Rivers isn't patient zero and/or the tests are not sensitive enough.

D-rock likes this.
  8. malakas

malakas Member

Hope everything turns out fine. At least it said urgent family matter and not urgent medical matter so thats something.

D-rock, TMac'n, Mazulis and 1 other person like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Weekends already here.

CK Johnson likes this.
  10. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

FMITA, so close to having everyone healthy and ready to go lol. Hopefully his fam is alright, strange that Doc hasn't left too though..

D-rock likes this.
  11. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

That's the chatter I've seen on twitter as well. Pat Bev, Montrezl, Zion, and now Rivers? And no reports of Doc Rivers also leaving?

Really hope of course it's not the case. Don't want MDA to be tempted to run an even tighter rotation....

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

Bev left bc his close friend passed away a few days ago. The trolls are terrible. Life doesn’t stop just bc they’re in the bubble. Things happen to them and their close ones just like anyone of us

amaru likes this.
  13. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I thought this at first, but keep in mind the league is reporting their positive test numbers. They just boasted about 0 positive cases in 350 tests like 4 days ago...I guess the NBA could be deliberately lying about their testing numbers, too, but that would be a much much bigger conspiracy.

I don't know any details about the other three, but Pat Bev left because one of his close freinds, who was a high school teammate, was shot and killed.

D-rock likes this.
  14. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

LOL first thing you think is the rotation

15. CCorn

CCorn Member

Did Doc leave the bubble?

@cybersex

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nook likes this.
  17. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

We will never be 100%.

18. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

[​IMG]

On topic - Wishing Austin the best for his family. I doubt it's COVID, but giving well wishes regardless

19. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Yeah man , I’m gonna at least wait until the first quarter to start complaining ... although now thinking about it , I am starting to get worried about our rotation .

jk ... kinda . The rotation is gonna be a huge strategic decision for every team right now . With a short runway , how do you get players ready to play . Will the teams best player still be trying to play 40 minutes in a playoff game ? If so they are gonna have to get ready for it otherwise effectiveness isn’t gonna fall off a cliff .

will teams adapt a different strategy going in (planning to play more guys so individuals can play less minutes and keep intensity up) ? A team strategy like that isn’t that viable usually because you’re playing bench players vs a conditioned Lebron etc .. but , if lebron can only play 25-30 minutes at a high level then a team playing more spurs style can be really good this year .

it’s a pretty exciting question actually . MDA is gonna get a pass from me unless he goes 7 deep the entire time . Which, I think he will not . We have enough guys that he’s proven he will play if circumstances dictate it . I think we might see ourselves running one of the deeper rotations .

oh one final thing . I haven’t seen our schedule yet (I know it’s out there) but we might consider playing a guy heavy minutes one game and then giving them the next game off (they can do cardio in the pool if they want to ) many teams would have given players games off or reduced minutes before the playoffs anyways . It will be trickier to work that approach in , but if you want guys to both A. Be 100 percent for the playoffs and B . Have games with heavy minutes already under their belt so as to achieve conditioning ... then you might treat this regular season more like pre-season football.

Alternatively , you might have an opportunity to rest in the “playoffs”

this bubble experiment is perfectly wacky

sorry to derail thread. Hope rivers can return and has good fortune with his family situation

20. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

His family is in Orlando.

D-rock likes this.