1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Attention Behad - Anti-Taas Story on 60 Minutes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeff, Sep 9, 2000.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Thought you might be interested in this. From the Chronicle:

Houston educators speak out about TAAS on 60 Minutes

TV Notes
    By MIKE McDANIEL
    Copyright 2000 Houston Chronicle TV Editor

Student test scores may be rising in Texas, but that doesn't make them good students, three Houston-area teachers tell Lesley Stahl on Sunday's 60 Minutes (6 p.m., Channel 11).

The report casts doubt over the direction of education in Texas, and muddies the picture painted by Gov. George W. Bush's presidential campaign, which has called rising test scores a "Texas miracle."

A tape of the 60 Minutes segment was not available for review, but CBS did release quotes from Sunday's telecast.

The teachers charge that an all-out emphasis on raising test scores is costing students a comprehensive education. While teachers prep kids for Texas Assessment of Academic Skills tests, they are losing out in certain subjects like social studies and science.

"We do a wonderful product as far as the TAAS test," says fourth-grade teacher Sherrie Matula, "but branch off into anything else or tell them they must write a complete sentence to answer the question ... (the students) look at you like you're a blank."

"I know what I need to do for my kids," says sixth-grade teacher Nanette Bishop, "and yet people keep taking that away from me."

Linda McNeil, an education professor at Rice University, says one Houston high school doesn't have a library but spent $20,000 on TAAS prep materials. "We have kids who can pass the test," she says, "but their teachers call and say, `Our kids can't read. ... ' "

Rod Paige, HISD superintendent, defends the TAAS efforts. "I don't think you can do well on the test by simply knowing how to take the test. You must know the content. The gains are real."

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

2. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow, that should be a fun show!

------------------
    Talking to a dead hare about art

3. Rocket101

Rocket101 Member

If the program is going to "Bash Bush", I'll watch it.

I wish Ann Richards would get back into politics.

------------------
    Be sure to water your grass

4. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

Interesting timing, wouldn't you say?

------------------

5. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

This Linda McNeil listed here is the co-author of the "TAAS Test report card"

------------------
    Save our children from the TAAS test:
    TAAS test report card
    TAAS test fact sheet

Dog lover here....cats beware.

[This message has been edited by Behad (edited September 09, 2000).]

6. dc sports

dc sports Member

Behad,

The hill may not be as steep as you think, and it is deffinitely a battle worth fighting.

My hometown scool district just decided not to exercise an option on the superintendant's contract, and hired a new one this past summer, who has a much stronger focus on education and infrastructure.

The old superintendant recieved bonuses each year in the triple digits -- yes, hundreds of thousands, based on the district's growing test scores. Except, they haven't grown the past few years, and other problems have developed. He had a habit of screaming at his teachers staff, ordering them to work on TAAS scores. The school board finally decided that they had heard enough complaints -- that his behavior and actions weren't healthy.

I shared the report you noted on this board with my parents, who shared it with their co-workers. It's really been helpful, because it gives the teachers a tool which organizes their thoughts on the problems they have been living over the past few years.

Keep fighting. I have an idea this problem will become more of a focal point over the next few years.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

7. Behad

dc,
    Let's hope this issue comes to light during this election campaign. Bush touts his education reform in the state of Texas. Here's hoping some bright reporter comes him out for it.

------------------
    TAAS test report card
    TAAS test fact sheet

8. Behad

Thank you so much for the heads-up, Jeff. I've been at Little League practice all morning, and just got into the BBS. I strongly encourage all parents with school age kids to watch this program. In addition, read the two links I have in my signature. The TAAS test is depriving our children of a full curriculum and a well rounded education. What is not mentioned in this story is the number of school districts in Texas that ties its administrative incentive packages to the TAAS test scores. Not the teachers, mind you, but the administrators. In effect, the school board says to the principals "If you want a bigger bonus, get higher test scores." The principals, in turn say to the teachers "If you want to keep your jobs, raise test scores." The teachers say to the students "We will not be studying any science or social studies today so that we will have time to do some practice test drills."

Here in my kids school, a letter was sent home saying how we were just three students away from getting a ranking of exempliary (sp?), all in the math portion of the TAAS. So was does the school do? Emphasize more math classes? NO! The take an additional 30 minutes from social studies to install a "practice period"! I kid you not! They actually called it a "practice period" for taking the math portion of the TAAS. All for that important exempliary rating, with triggers more bonuses!

I am facing a very large uphill battle on this, but I will not give up.

------------------
    TAAS test report card
    TAAS test fact sheet

[This message has been edited by Behad (edited September 09, 2000).]

9. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

a segment of fluff, if you ask me.

They could have probed much deeper. Maybe it will generate some further investigation, but I doubt it. Unless there is a real uproar, things will remain the same.

I never thought the word "exemplary" would produce as much ire in me as it does now.

------------------
    I am so exasperated that I could expectorate.

10. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I liked when Bush said "exemplarary."

Sure did illustrate one thing - Rod Paige is an idiot.

Rumor in HISD is that, if Bush gets elected, Paige will be given a post in his administration.

Oh well.

Crisco,

You are right, not too much substance.

------------------
    Talking to a dead hare about art

11. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Paige is definitely an idiot. He doesn't know what the hell is up.

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

12. dc sports

dc sports Member

My father had an interesting comment after watching this. (He's always been conservative, and has supported Bush, and been pretty much anti-Clinton/Gore due to integrity issues.)

He said that Bush is going to loose this election for himself because of this issue. The sad part is, he really didn't have much to do with the standardized testing -- those initiatives started under Ann Richards and were carried out by the Texas Department of Education.

The problem is that Bush has claimed credit for the Texas Education system because he was there -- similar to Gore taking credit for the internet. In both situations, the person was a minor player, but has tried to take credit for the whole thing. Few people believe either claim. The difference is, the internet works.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

13. dc sports

dc sports Member

Out of deference to Ryan, I assume you mean Rod? [​IMG]

------------------
    Stay Cool...

[This message has been edited by dc sports (edited September 11, 2000).]

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't have a problem with the taas test.

I have a problem with the system. There shouldn't be any school time devoted to improving these scores besides just teaching the kids the stuff they need.

When i took the TAAS for the last time, the a couple of the top GPA people at Bellaire had failed it a couple of times and needed it to graduate. It was weak. There is no pressure. I had a friend that completely froze during the test so he took a three hour nap to refresh himself since there wasn't a time limit.

------------------
    "You've got 6 fouls, use them well" -Derrick Coleman

15. dc sports

dc sports Member

Joe Joe,

I really appreciate the input from someone who has taken the test recently.

Out of curiosity, and to see if the test has met it's goal, let me ask you this...

What's the purpose of the TAAS test?

------------------
    Stay Cool...

16. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Rod Paige and I aren't related, by the way, though "idiot" does run in some parts of my family (you should meet my brothers).

At any rate, there's an article today talking about how the UT system is talking about implementing a TAAS-like test for all of their students. From the DMN:

UT schools weigh systemwide testing
    Faculty question TAAS-like accountability plan

09/19/2000

By Linda K. Wertheimer / 'The Dallas Morning News

Some Texas college students might soon have to sharpen their No. 2 pencils.

The University of Texas System, in a move tried only a few times nationally, is proposing that all nine system campuses begin giving standardized tests to students in some subjects in 2002-03. Students would take the tests in all core subjects by 2004-05 if regents approve the plan, to be discussed before the board Oct. 2.

The UT System notified its college presidents of the draft proposal in letters two weeks ago; faculty presidents received letters Friday.

The proposal is an attempt to create accountability measures for the colleges, similar to the approach Texas began taking 10 years ago that resulted in standardized testing – TAAS – of all public school students.

UT regent Charles Miller, who worked on the state's proposals for public school accountability, called for the creation of a higher-education accountability system as chair of the UT regents' Academic Affairs Committee.

"We have to have some measure to say how we're doing," Mr. Miller said. "I don't think it has to mimic or copy the public schools. The whole issue of accountability is on the table for education."

Nationally, fewer than a handful of college systems or states have tried bringing standardized tests to campuses. Those that have faced protests from faculty and students who complained that the tests would hamper professors' ability to teach creatively. Already, faculty leaders on UT campuses are objecting to the idea for similar reasons.

The UT System wants to measure students' performance in the core subjects, such as math, science, writing and social studies, as well as evaluate colleges' performances in other areas, such as student retention, graduation rates and faculty research.

The proposal prepared by Mr. Miller's committee is scant on details because regents first want to consult faculty leaders on how the measures should be developed, said Mr. Miller and Dr. Joe Stafford, the UT System's associate vice chancellor for academic affairs.

Dr. Stafford said no one had determined whether the system would use the test results to see whether a student should graduate, as South Dakota has done with its 3-year-old test.

"That's one of the questions we'll have to work through. Even when the purpose is to assess the institutions, you have to have enough stakes in it for the students to take the tests seriously," Dr. Stafford said.

Early objections

The notion of such a test irks some students and faculty leaders at the University of Texas at Dallas. Dr. Robert Nelsen, president of the faculty senate at UTD, said he worries that such tests would drive the curriculum in state universities, as public school teachers say they have in their schools.

"It has no room for creativity or additional theoretical knowledge in the classroom," said Dr. Nelsen, who teaches creative writing. "More than anything, it takes away the right, the duty and responsibility of the faculty to establish the curriculum."

Dr. Nelsen said he considered such tests "draconian."

"We already are held accountable," he said. "Faculty are reviewed each year. We are reviewed more than any other profession I know of."

UTD students said they didn't see the need for such a test, nor did they support such a concept.

"You shouldn't have to re-prove yourself again by taking another test," said Amber Arnold-Gordon, a junior majoring in art and performance. "You take enough tests in your classes. They don't just give tests. They grade your overall discussion, projects. You have to be able to work with your classmates."

Dr. Stafford and Mr. Miller, however, said they believe the tests and other measures could be a useful tool for higher education. The results could help state universities better prove their need for additional resources, including money needed for tutoring and remedial help for students, Dr. Stafford said.

The proposal also calls for evaluating the schools' "efficient production of graduates," which means making sure students don't change their majors so often that they're constantly dropping in and out of courses, he said.

"The public's concern is that we not waste resources getting the job done," Dr. Stafford said.

Mr. Miller said he sees no reason not to move forward with the proposal.

"We hold ourselves accountable in every other aspect of our lives," he said. "We hold our hospitals accountable for our lives. Why should higher education escape that?"

The idea apparently won't spread to the state's other flagship university system – Texas A&M.

Dr. Leo Sayavedra, the A&M system's vice chancellor for academic and student affairs, said the system was focusing on improving its teacher preparation program and doing a better job of linking its curriculum with high school courses.

A&M has avoided the notion of standardized testing, Dr. Sayavedra said.

"I don't know that more testing is the going to improve the situation," he said. "How many more tests can we put on the table?"

Nationally, the idea of testing in higher education is not popular now, but probably will be in the future, said Terese Rainwater, a higher-education policy analyst at the Education Commission of the States in Denver.

"In terms of an entire state system, it's rare," Ms. Rainwater said. "It's definitely something that people are beginning to address and think about. If you're talking about a future trend in education, this is one of them."

South Dakota became one of the first states to begin requiring standardized tests of its students. Since 1998, about 9,000 students in the state's universities have taken a nationally standardized test that quizzes them in writing, reading, math and scientific reasoning. Students who don't pass get one more chance. If they fail a second time, they don't graduate.

Faculty leaders objected to the tests but have been quieter since the plan went into effect, said Dr. Tad Perry, executive director of South Dakota's Board of Regents. Dr. Perry's role is the head of higher education for the state.

"They said, 'You don't trust us? We're already evaluating these students,'" Dr. Perry said, adding that a loss of academic freedom was cited as well by critics of the testing.

Aside from South Dakota, Massachusetts also has an accountability system that involves standardized tests for its public universities. The Education Commission said it wasn't aware of any other states with such a system.

South Dakota uses a measure already created by the American College Testing program, the same company that makes the ACT college entrance exam.

Teaching to the test?

Professors also complained that they would end up teaching to the test. "If they are, so what?" he said. "So they teach people good grammar. Obviously they're not teaching enough of it, or we'd have 100 percent passing."

Dr. Perry said South Dakota was driven by the same talk that often plagues university regents in Texas.

"We got tired of hearing our students were graduating and they couldn't write a sentence," he said. "We said we've got to do something which gives us some assurance that we have students achieving a minimum level of expectations for a college graduate."

He said he believes the practice will spread. Every four months, he gets a call from a different state interested in checking out the idea, he said.

Dr. Stafford said that whatever happens in Texas, it will take several years before an accountability system is approved under the plan.

"It's too early to be up in arms, but they ought to be wary of it," he said of faculty members across the state. "There are many opportunities to make mistakes in a process this complex. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't be seriously considered."

And it's not just a matter of accountability for faculty members, but also a measure of the entire university system, he said.

------------------
    Houston Sports Board
    DFW Sports Board

17. nutcake

nutcake Member

As a former public school teacher, and the child of two teachers, I have a little experience as to what is done to teach the TAAS test. In my school, all the teachers were required to start the day with at least 1 question from the TAAS test, whether it was in our subject or not. Then as a math teacher, I was required to start each class with more from the TAAS test. Not only that, but all of my lessons had to be based on some TAAS objective. Every two weeks, we had to give quizzes, which were written by the district, which 90% of the students had to pass. Students who failed (the TAAS test, not math class) had to go into remediation and spend their reading period in tutorials. We were not teaching math, we were teach TAAS!

I think this test is going to ruin the education system in Texas. Teachers in some classes are teaching just the test and noting else and it does make a difference in scores.

------------------

18. nutcake

nutcake Member

DC,

I don't know if you knew this, but my class was the first that the test was required for graduation. I remember the transfer from the TEAMS test to the TAAS test was pretty tramatic for me (because of the essay since they graded handwriting and I barely passed it because of my handwriting).

------------------