1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

athlonsports: 2008 rockets preview

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dutchbut, Oct 24, 2008.

1. dutchbut

dutchbut Contributing Member

#1 dutchbut, Oct 24, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  2. battousai

battousai Member

I am sorry, but you need to take that silliness out of here. That's like saying Tmac couldn't fill out the NCAA brackets, because he never went to college.

3. dutchbut

Pease accept my apology.
    "Rumor has it that when the Rockets pass around their NCAA Tournament pool brackets, Tracy McGrady only fills out the first round. Why? Because everybody knows that McGrady never gets past the first round." Is a quote from the article. The author does say in closing that we are now a championship contender.

4. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

actually I thought it was a funny quote.

All of the media comments on the first round losses... at least this guy said it with some style. ;)

5. shakegod

shakegod Rookie

Although everybody knows that McGrady never gets past the first round.That still tells nothing,McGrady is gifted! :cool:

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I won't try and guess minutes, but this is who I see starting, and who comes off the bench first. Adelman likes to mix it up, depending on matchups, so some games we may see Barry come in for Alston, instead of Brooks. Hayes coming in for Yao, instead of Scola moving over. Artest moving to SG, with Battier at the 3 (or the reverse). Barry, Artest, Battier, Scola, and Hayes makes for a pretty freaky team on the floor! Opposing coaches are going to have ulcers trying to game the Rockets. So many options.

Starters:
    Alston
    McGrady
    Artest
    Scola
    Yao

Bench:
    Battier
    Landry
    Barry
    Brooks
    Hayes
    Head
    Mutombo

7. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Thanks. That was one of the most thorough previews I've read.

8. Will889

Will889 Member

I agree. Also summed up pretty well how McGrady has been playing.

He needs to attack the basket!!!

9. rmoreno

rmoreno Member

Man its true McGrady is gifted but I do agree with what this guy is saying. McGrady never wants to take responsibility of leading the team, because (I believe) he is afraid of failure. He is always passing the torch to yao so that he doesn't get blamed for the losses. I don't have a problem with yao being the leader, but like that guy said McGrady 'wants all the perks that come with superstardom — the fat contracts, the shoe deal and face time on national TV- but he balks at assuming the responsibilities that come with the territory'. McGrady is extremely talented but he needs to step up and take control of this team. People have been saying this for the past three years, and he has yet to do it (and I don't believe that he will do it). But now that we have ron artest, i believe that yao and ron will take that responsibility.

10. dutchbut

I agree about the lack of leadership. McGrady does put this team on his shoulders in individual performance. Maybe Artest will be the emotional leader.
    Ron is a vocal person. Of what I have seen over the years he wears his emotions on his sleeves. I believe emotions are what we need to win. Ron is a person who won’t loose quietly.

11. Ikorose

Ikorose Member

T-Mac is just not a vocal leader. It's just not in his personality. With him it's leadership by example, and unfortunately when the playoffs roll around nobody follows his example. I'm not concerned about that. Tim Duncan is no vocal leader himself, but his example has always been followed. For vocal leadership here its Battier and Alston.

I think he's tired of accepting responsibility for his playoff failures, mostly because it's not his fault. His playoff PER is 3rd active behind only Shaq and Duncan and 6th of all time. 4th all time in scoring. It's not like he chokes in the playoffs.

I like his assessment though.

12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

That's a crappy joke. It's like writing a poem or a rap where you're rhyming one word on one line with the exact same word on the next.

If you wanna use the first-round joke, use the "When the Rockets go to the bar T-Mac pays first. Because he never gets past the first round" joke. At least that one has a degree of separation behind the logic.