1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Athleticism/Playing above the rim

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jul 21, 2019.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

It feels like we have been one of the less athletic teams overall ever since Hakeem stopped being in his prime.

With Westbrook at PG, we might now have the most athletic point guard in the game. Capela is one of the most athletic centers, and House and Green can both get up and dunk.

Where among teams do you think we rank in terms of overall athleticism this upcoming season?

Do you think the improvement in speed and jumping ability makes up for what we might have lost in terms of basketball IQ?

2. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Not good. Neither Green, who is over the hill, nor House are consistently athletic. House supposedly had an inflamed big toe through out the entire Post season. If he turns at around and become like IG Clutch fans will be in for a treat.

#2 Sanctity, Jul 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    Lovemachine2000 and amaru like this.
  3. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Can tyson still rise?

4. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

He still catches lobs

Lawlruschang and amaru like this.
  5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

There was a segment recently about WB not setting screens and having to learn to set screens for James .

But I didn't watch long enough to see them mention anything about James screening for WB .

James is strong AF as well all know . He's got that wide frame ... what guard is gonna get around him ?

Also James has never had the opportunity to set screens (in Houston) for such an explosive and skilled ball-handled .

Imagine the pick and pop with James at the 3 point line .

Hakeemtheking, ak99999, Tfor3 and 4 others like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets athleticism is certainly improved. Westbrook is the most physically explosive and athletic guard in the league. James Harden is an underrated athlete at shooting guard. Clint Capela is also a good athlete... House is capable of holding his own as well.

So I am not worried about a team being so athletic they dominate us.... other than the Clippers.... but AGAIN the biggest problem is we need a really long and athletic SF and Mr. Luxury Tax didn’t let that happen... if we some how fill that hole, we athletically can match up against anyone.

As far as the IQ issues, we lost our first or second highest IQ player and replaced him someone that just relies on impulse. I am concerned.... part of why I hoped Captain Luxury Tax would allow for more in the budget for quality assistants and a couple veterans like Livingston and Carter.

7. HP3

HP3 Member

[​IMG]

I WILL GO DOWN ON THIS SHIP, HOWEVER UNLIKELY IT MAY BE.

8. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Idk where it ranks the Rockets in the NBA but I do know we traded a guy who’s athleticism is so far gone that he couldn’t complete a season, break down a defender with regularity or get up a shot without some kind of contortion for a guy who probably tops the “force of nature” list. Who throws down tomahawk jams and makes the most uniquely athletic sports league in the world look like lesser athletes. Whatever the ranking, it’s higher than last year for sure.

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i love tuck but we still need an athletic 4 on the roster. jerami grant would have been ideal

10. Aspiring Player

We might still be able to obtain a guy like a Kevin Love.

11. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Uh, we’ve only stopped being athletic in the last couple seasons. With CP and Harden.

Francis and Mobley were crazy athletic. Remember Francis in the dunk contest?

Tmac was a physical freak. Maybe one of the most athletically gifted players ever.

We had Dwight who is crazy athletic. Just dumb. While he did lose some of it with his back injury he was still a freak.

We even had a Josh Smith Cameo. Remember the dunks on the Mavs?

12. fattz

fattz Member

I was going to post the same thing because that backcourt was maybe an all time in athleticism. The league had a hard time matching up ever time we played.

daywalker02, RudyTBag and RHU525 like this.
  13. tc0330

tc0330 Member

above the rim, love that movie

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Morey and Tilly just need to nut up and trade 2 FRP for Covington.

F the LT, RoCo is the missing piece. If Rockets dont win it all, trade Russ for pocks and longer athletic wings and try again.

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

To get good players, you must give up good assets and be willing to pay significant money.

Others have done that. The Rockets don’t seem interested in that.

16. YallMean

YallMean Member

Hopefully Wes will push the speed back to two years ago. Last year was too much one on one.

17. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I agree with this. If Luc has no known remaining health issues at this point and is interested, I would totally be up for bringing him back. It may not be likely, but how awesome would it be to add a healthy Luc Mbah a Moute to this rotation?

18. HP3

HP3 Member

Thats what Ive been trying to tell people haha, for a minimum signing yeeeees.

There hasnt been any news about him at all.

19. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I can’t remember which podcast it was on, but they said something like over the last 3 years no guard has set less screens than Westbrook.

Guards screening for guards is something we utilize in our offense.

I imagine Westbrook will change.

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Steve Francis says hello