1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Athletes, Trainers, Ballers, need some help on this one!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RudyTBag, Apr 5, 2009.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have been given a basketball scholarship to Chapman University (Film Major). I am about 6-5 or so, 175 lbs(Yes I know, I know). Thing is, I eat all the time, and I just can't seem to get much more mass. I lift consistently and put up solid bench/squat/clean numbers, but I am just having a hard time getting bigger. Before the next basketball season I would like to be around 205 or so, which would be a good size for a 1-2-3 I think. Just so you know, I am built like a Durant/Garnett/Tayshaun type guy(not as gifted as an athlete of course, but I do have a 6-9 wingspan:)), What would you recommend?

I have tried creatine and various protein powders.

Strongly considering draining a gallon of whole milk everyday for the next few months. Whaddyathink? Getting frustrated...

2. chonox

chonox Member

im 5'7, fk you. :(

3. blink

blink Contributing Member

what do you eat? how many calories?

4. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

if you eat all the time, work out on a regular basis and have the body type of tayshaun prince there is no way you can gain 30 lbs (without doing drugs and by not getting fat). sucks for you, but it's the truth.

5. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Check out the thread about the USC linebackers for your answer.

1 person likes this.
  6. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

Make sure you take some rest days in between lifting.

Other than that, you might just have to wait a couple years, you are still pretty young.

I was 170ish in high school but a few years into college I was 200+, some times it just takes people longer to fill out.

7. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Yup, It would really help my game though if I could add 30 pounds of Artest:)

8. Hola-juwon

Hola-juwon Member

I had the same problem, I'm 6'8 and I was thin as hell. Seriously, do what I did, I changed to vegetarian food, I ate veggieburgers with fries every single day and I worked out in the gym hell alot and now I don't get pushed down the post. I play in the swedish highest league (don't laugh, lol) and I couldn't get playingtime before because I was too freaking weak... Soya beans rock!

1 person likes this.
  9. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

My feedback just got you back up to Kyle Lowry:)

Thanks for the advice!

Swedish League huh? That is pretty cool, I hope I am able to do something like that...

10. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I can't tell if you are serious our not...

I am honestly not far from that.

11. Classic

Classic Member

I've worked with a couple basketball players before to get them to gain weight, and believe me, it is no easy task but it can be done.

Consider a couple things when thinking about how much food you must eat:
    1) You're still growing
    2) You're burning a ton of calories playing ball and lifting everyday

In order to gain muscle, you must eat enough calories to compensate for the factors above and have enough left over that you can actually gain weight

I won't get into how you lift because that's not the issue (and could be part of the problem) but I did help a 16 yr old basketball player gain 15 lbs last summer alone. How'd he do it? He ate his ass off, lifted hard, and cut back how much ball he was playing.

Here are some foods you'd want to consider eating lots of:
    peanut butter (pb and J sandwiches)
    whole chocolate milk
    Salmon
    Steaks
    Pasta/rice
    double meat roast chicken breast foot longs (a personal favorite of mine) :cool:
    eggs
    Milkshakes at jack in box/chickfila have like 1300 calories
    (more you eat, the more water you should also try to put down)
    ...to list a few

To get big, you have to eat big and lift big. Shoot for 5,000 calories per day in 7 meals. Always eat breakfast as soon as you get up. Try for 800 calories. If you're not sure how many calories stuff has, start reading labels and measuring it out. Waste no time after you lift in eating. Remember, to gain weight, you have to offset all the calories you burn in a day first before you'll have any weight to be able to put on. Weight just doesn't come from anywhere--it comes from a caloric surplus.

1 person likes this.
  12. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

What league and where do you play? My wifes family lives in a little town near Gavle and her bro-in-law used to play Swedish Pro Hockey for Brynas (I think that is how it is spelled.)

We are actually going over there in August, I can't wait!

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

one thing i haven't seen posted yet is sleep......make sure u get enough of it (~8 hours/day) because that's when your body actually builds back the muscle fibers..

1 person likes this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A problem that most of us would love to have.

I'm not an expert in this and most of my experience has been with people trying to cut weight. From what little I know it eating a lot of lean protein along with rest sounds like the way to go. Also since I am guessing you are 17 or 18 you still have some growing to do. This will probably be a problem that fixes itself in a few years.

One very important thing to watch out for injury. From what I've noticed of athletes making rapid changes in weight that they become injury prone as it takes time to naturally adjust to the weight difference.

1 person likes this.
  15. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

To follow up on Classic's post, make sure you track your calories to see how much you are really taking in. Fitday.com is a good site.

1 person likes this.
  16. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Thanks fellas.

I am reppin those last 4 post, those were really helpful. Especially Classic man he got it covered pretty damn well:)

17. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

You tried creatine and that didn't work for you?

When I originally received my track scholarship I was 6'2", 160 and went through my freshman year at that weight. I was a sprinter and wasn't happy with my overall strength level. I wanted to pack on some mass and muscle during the summer before returning for my sophomore year so I spoke with my coaches and a few trainers that both recommended a certain creatine formula available for purchase at any local GNC store. (I would have to look up the name if you were if you were interested)

I trained with this creatine formula and put on 25 lbs of muscle between May (when our season ended) and November (when our official conditioning/lifting regiments ended). The results were noticeable both aesthetically and performance-wise. I felt much faster and stronger.

18. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

If you think you are eating alot, but aren't tracking your calories, I can guarantee you you're not eating enough.

Also, the fact that you likely play ball every day isn't helping any. You are going to have to drastically reduce the cardio to see any type of considerable gains.

As far as the gym, squats and deadlifts are your friends. Especially the latter.

19. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

Really? I thought it was especially the former

20. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Your sarcasm is noted.

...unless you were being serious.