1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Atheists, Muslims See Most Bias as Presidential Candidates

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by IzakDavid13, Jun 24, 2012.

1. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

http://www.gallup.com/poll/155285/Atheists-Muslims-Bias-Presidential-Candidates.aspx

Atheists, Muslims See Most Bias as Presidential Candidates
    Two-thirds would vote for gay or lesbian
    by Jeffrey M. Jones

PRINCETON, NJ -- While more than nine in 10 Americans would vote for a presidential candidate who is black, a woman, Catholic, Hispanic, or Jewish, significantly smaller percentages would vote for one who is an atheist (54%) or Muslim (58%). Americans' willingness to vote for a Mormon (80%) or gay or lesbian (68%) candidate falls between these two extremes.
    [​IMG]

The results are based on a June 7-10 Gallup poll, updating a question Gallup first asked in 1937 in reference to a female, Jewish, or Catholic candidate and has asked periodically since then, with additional candidate characteristics added to the list. The question has taken on added relevance in recent years as a more diverse group of candidates has run for president. This year, Mitt Romney is poised to become the first Mormon to win a major-party presidential nomination. However, Americans' willingness to vote for a Mormon has changed little in 45 years.

Notwithstanding the Mormon trend, Gallup's history on this question shows growing acceptance for all other types of candidates over time. That includes atheists, whose acceptability as candidates surpassed 50% for the first time last summer but have typically ranked at the bottom of the list whenever the question has been asked.

In 1937, less than half of Americans said they would vote for a Jewish or female presidential candidate; now 90% or more would. The same applies to voting for a black candidate compared with 1958. Over time, Americans' acceptance of blacks and women as candidates has increased the most.
    [​IMG]

Republicans, Democrats Differ Most on Gay, Muslim, Mormon Candidates

Americans of all political party affiliations are nearly unanimous in saying they would vote for a black, female, Catholic, Hispanic, or Jewish president. Democrats are significantly more likely than Republicans to say they would vote for a presidential candidate who is gay, Muslim, or an atheist. Republicans, in turn, are more likely to say they would vote for a Mormon.
    [​IMG]

Republicans' willingness to vote for a Mormon for president is higher this year, likely because their presidential candidate is of the Mormon faith. When Gallup asked the same question in February 1999, Republicans were only slightly more likely than Democrats, 81% to 75%, to say they would vote for a Mormon for president. There was a similar six-percentage-point party gap (72% Republican, 66% Democrat) in a February 2007 poll, in the early stages of the 2008 presidential campaign and Romney's first run for president.

Gallup also finds wide differences in support for various presidential candidates by age. At least seven in 10 young adults, those under age 30, would vote for a presidential candidate of any background. However, fewer than half of senior citizens would vote for a candidate who is gay, an atheist, or Muslim.
    [​IMG]

Implications

Americans over time have generally become more accepting of presidential candidates from various backgrounds. However, there are still certain types of candidates -- specifically atheists and Muslims -- that Americans would have a harder time supporting. Even so, a majority of Americans say they would vote for such candidates.

Support for a Mormon candidate has been relatively flat over time, suggesting there may be a ceiling on acceptance of presidential candidates with certain background characteristics. Even with a Mormon poised to be the nominee of a major political party, Americans' willingness to vote for a Mormon is not significantly greater now than in the past. That suggests that it may take more than simply having a prominent future candidate who is gay, Muslim, or an atheist to bring Americans' acceptance of candidates from those backgrounds up to near-unanimous levels.

Your thoughts? Would you vote for a black, gay Muslim woman for President?

The USA already has a Muslim president in Barak Hussien Obama, no matter how hard the MSM tries to deny it.

Good luck for your upcoming elections America.

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is somebody trolling?

Zero evidence for statement? check

Evidence to the contrary? check

reasons for posting the statement other than to troll? ??????

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

4. IzakDavid13

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. fchowd0311

O you are one of those people.... Shame on Obama then if he is Muslim because he eats at burger joints that are not halal. Not a good Muslim.

6. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Well, that isn't really proof of evidence or anything, and some of the inferred claim of that picture is demonstrably false. So again, were you just trolling?

7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Wow. A new idiot is emerging right before our eyes.

1 person likes this.
  8. fchowd0311

It what makes the d and d fun!

1 person likes this.
  9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

What a shame that it had to happen to this guy.
    Kind of hard to bash on him since he has a sick daughter, but he's asking for it.

10. IzakDavid13

The Obama is a Muslim was poking fun at the recent spate of Islamic threads...

Hence the hidden troll picture.

:grin:

In reality, who cares even if he was a Buddhist, as long as the President rules the country in a way that is beneficial to the country, it's people and it's future.

11. fchowd0311

Thank god! We thought we lost you there. Hope your daughter is doing fine btw.

12. fchowd0311

And your statement is what I think every time fox news debates whether he is or not. This nation is a secular government thus the religious beliefs a presidential candidate holds is between him is deity and his family.

13. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

dude im just putting this out there, but don't you ever miss being a bisexual pimp? there probably wasn't as big of a stick up your ass back then, i mean right.

1 person likes this.
  14. Grumbler

Grumbler Member

I guess Asians don't even qualify to be part of the poll?

15. IzakDavid13

Next chemotherapy treatment today 10:00.

It isn't a cancerous tumour but is behaving Aggresivley like cancer. This is very rare case, we have the best professors and Doctors worldwide working on this case.

Sent tumour samples to LA. to get some answers on how to deal with it, unfortunately this somewhat of a medical first, so there are no sure fire answers.

You couldn't tell that she was a girl with a tumour, and still her main concern is the well being of others.

Thank y'all for your concern.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I took her to get her pampered & hair done, before the possibility that it has to come off. She turned 8 two weeks ago.

2 people like this.
  16. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Best of luck. My well wishes are with you and your daughter.

2 people like this.
  17. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Best of luck to your daughter, you and your family.

18. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Oh go to hell. And go to my ignore list. As if your hatred toward homosexuals wasn't bad enough. You're a blight on this board. I'm glad I won't be reading your posts anymore.

EDIT: To offer sympathy and well wishes for your daughter, of whose circumstances I was not aware. And also in response to your later clearing up(?) that your original statement and the silly cartoon you posted subsequently were meant in jest. I'm not sure what I believe you believe in that regard, but I'm well aware of your feelings about homosexuality so again best to your daughter but you are a bigot and I am glad to have you on ignore.

While I was there there were two others I'd been meaning to add and I took care of that too. Thanks for reminding me. Bye-bye.

#18 Batman Jones, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  19. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

hmmm no asians involved in poll?

20. IzakDavid13

So it's ok for you to disagree with my feelings about homosexuality, but not ok for me to disagree with your feelings on homosexuality?

I smell....sniff...sniff...HYPOCRITE!

Btw: I've never said anything hateful regarding homosexuals, I only stated that homosexuality wasn't my cup of tea, that I believe that 'marriage' is between a man and a woman and that I believe that that the act of homosexuality is a choice not something that one is born into through genetic mutation/ imprint...
    But yes I'm a bigot, a blight on this board and deserve hell because my opinions do not match your opinions.

Too bad that you won't be able to read this post.

God bless, and have a nice day:)