1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

At this point in the night, I'm giving up on MLB

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by El_Conquistador, Aug 30, 2002.

1. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

OK, I feel like it's safe to go to bed now, doesn't look like a deal will be struck tonight between the owners and players. No big surprise. It has been interesting to watch the fans reactions at baseball games today. The game in Anaheim was filled with fan protests. What is unfortunate in this situation is that very few of the players agree with how Don Fehr (and his brother) are handling the negotiations. I don't think this has come across in the media like it should, because the vast majority of players interviewed on the topic are either Glavine (NL Player Rep), Tony Clark (AL Player Rep) or each team's player reps (Gregg Zaun, Scott Schoeneweis, Joe Girardi, Mike Remlinger, Lo Duca, etc.). The player reps will have much more extreme opinions on the matter than will your run-of-the-mill player. I truly feel that many of the players want to avert a strike at all costs. They know that the fans are fed up and they now feel that this poses a larger threat to their future salaries than owners' behavior. Unfortunately, the average player isn't calling the shots in these negotiations, instead it's hard-nosed lawyers who could give a rip less if we have a post season. If a strike occurs, I really think the owners will have the support of public opinion. They should use the opportunity to impose a hard salary cap, similar to the NFL and NBA, and use the opportunity to make MLB competitive again.

2. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Being a veteran of union/labor contract talks, I've learned never to expect a settlement until the very last minute. My last contract (back in February) was settled 15 minutes before the strike deadline.

Basically, both sides want to get the last word in, much like spoiled children arguing with their parents. They will negotiate down to the last million, with neither side wanting to be the last one to give up.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

wow..what's your experience with these Behad???

I've dealt with negotiations before too, but usually in the context of a lawsuit or a threatened lawsuit.

4. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Being a union member for the past 21 years....been thru about a dozen contract talks and been on strike twice.