1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AT&T Gigapower

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by chow_yun_fat, Oct 4, 2015.

Tags:
  1. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Anyone have att's latest fiber internet service? Is it consistently fast? Reliability so far?

Contemplating whether it's worth $80 for 300/mbs. In the fine print you are limited to 500gb per month and an additional 45gb is an extra $10/month.

Looks like comcast is offering 250/mbs for $69. If I didn't have horrid service with comcast in the past, I would switch right now.

#1 chow_yun_fat, Oct 4, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  2. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

That's a good price.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Anyone have a clue on the Gigapower buildout in the Houston area? What areas already have it and what areas will have it in the next year or two?

I asked a couple of U-Verse guys who came out recently and they contracted each other.

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

They came out and installed Gigapower for my boss and he lives off 290 and Fry. Tech also said it is in parts of Pasadena and Tomball.

5. lue03

lue03 Contributing Member

they just put Gigapower in my neighborhood but I use over 750gb a month :(.

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

What generates 750 gb a month of usage? Constant video streaming 12+ hours a day, or nighttime streaming on multiple laptops?

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Comcast just started shutting my connection down repeatedly at some point. I guess if it's not throttling it's some kind of congestion issue.

8. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

When I had comcast, my internet would stop working for 2-3 days every couple of weeks. Spoke to the techs multiple times, replaced modems, outside cables etc and the problem still persisted.

The real kicker was when I was living in CO. and when I refused to renew my contract when I told them I was moving out of state, they claimed my modem was theirs and I had to provide proof.

9. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

No complaints from xfinity /comcast Internet service wise from me... Just their crappy customer service.

My coworker in Rosenberg near the Brazos town center has the new giga connection. He hasn't hit 1000 up / down yet , but constantly gets around 997 u/d.

10. Salvy

Salvy Member

Are you ballstreams?

11. Sajan

Sajan Member

you use 1gb an hour x 24 hrs a day?? dafuq are you doing??

12. Salvy

Salvy Member

Probably looking up better breakfast options than bagels.....

13. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

From what I've heard it should be great, I'm in Austin and unfortunately can only get TWC atm, but I do get 300 mbit down and 20 up (fortunately for you, you should get the equal amount up on at&t).

One thing I recommend doing is running your own routers instead of settling with their equipment, especially since some of the equipment I have seen can be a limiting factor if you have multiple users... I know TWC modem/router combo was junk (at least with it handling everything), but you might have a different experience.

14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I'm like just outside of the google/att area...

15. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

I don't have Gigapower, but do receive Fiber from AT&T. I have a GPON inside my closet (none of that fiber to the node nonsense) and I'll likely qualify for it once they're ready so I can comment only on latency and reliability.

The latency is ****ing awesome. I can ping anywhere in Texas at under 17ms and Houston to Ontario at 49 ms.

Reliability is really good too and I have a battery back up on all my equipment (GPON, gateway, router, and AP) so it never goes out not even during an outage

Edit: I use about 400gb per month, and uverse doesn't enforce the cap

1 person likes this.
  16. lue03

lue03 Contributing Member

I was thinking about getting a bundle with u-verse but it looks like they try to nickle and dime you on everything, HD channels Extra fee premium HD channels extra fee but than again i haven't shopped around so maybe everyone does this too. anyone on here have a bundle with u-verse? and how much do you pay per month?

17. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

mbs is megabits right? not megabytes? cuz at 300megabytes per second, you would hit your limit after about 28 minutes of downloading.

18. marky :)

marky :) Member

Yes, it is megabits not megabytes.

19. Sajan

Sajan Member

:p

No breakfast for you! ;)

20. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Everyone does the nickel and diming. I only have internet service. No TV or phone.