1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AT&T Data Unlimited

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Junkyard_Dog, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

So AT&T has just announced their new data unlimited plan. $65 for Talk, Text and Data and $95 for all the same plus 10gb mobile hotspots. $5 discount with autopay

I'm wondering for anyone that is grandfathered to an unlimited plan with AT&T like I am do you know the download speed currently. For this new plan its 3mb/s and it goes down after the 22gb throttling and I believe the $95 is 5mb/s

I'm gonna change the plan but I am just curious if my data speed will be going down. I have looked everywhere for info on the speeds for the grandfathered plans but I'm not finding anything

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cn...grandfathered-unlimited-data-plan-ask-maggie/

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Great question. I too am grandfathered. I assume it is the "fastest speed" whatever that is. Because and according to the att site, you have two options (i) $90 per month includes HD streaming and fastest download speeds; (ii) $60 per month only includes SD streaming and 3 mb/s

What would be the difference between 3mb/s and 5 mb/s in my day to day? I do stream a good amount of video (NBA games, netflix, amazon prime, others) and audio (principally sirius xm, but spotify also). Heavy impact, light impact? Would I notice the SD vs. HD difference?

I've been with AT&T forever, though now that everyone is moving to unlimited plans I might look around anyway.

3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I was grandfathered, but switched due to throttling... It wasn't worth the hassle if it basically became edge speed... This was before though...

I think it's interesting that hotspot is $95... With a rooted phone/Google phone they can't stop you.

4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

So on the 3mbit/s that's all? Under that one plan... And slower after 22gb, such garbage... I'm typically getting 20-40 mbit + even in an area w/ so-so coverage, actually just hit 50 mbit...

Right now on your gf'd plan do a test with decent LTE coverage and you'll see how much faster your speed is than 3 mbit.

Junkyard_Dog likes this.
  5. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Ok thanks I didn't think about running a speed test. They must be talking about upload speed becuz I was getting about 21mb download and a little over 5mb upload

I may switch to the hotspot plan for now since it'll still be cheaper and then at some point leave AT&T all together since there are a lot of options now anyway

CCity Zero likes this.
  6. ShutURBiG!

ShutURBiG! Contributing Member

I checked a few weeks ago, and the main stipulation I saw for the unlimited plan was that there is no tethering/mobile hotspots for it. As in, it wouldn't even allow you to if you try it on your phone. The only exception to this was if you're using it for a car hotspot (for newer cars with the technology).

From what you're saying, I guess they made a compromise because of complaints, where you pay an additional fee for 10 GB of mobile hotspot for a month.

I haven't heard of a difference in speed other than them having the right to throttle your speed if you go over 22 GB in a billing period (respective to each line if you're on a group plan).

7. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

You're referring to the regular unlimited plan. Their unlimited plus gives you full speed and the 10gb hotspot. If you're a uverse/directv customer you get $25 off a month on the unlimited plus.

If you're on uverse/directv, I'd just go with the unlimited plus. But personally, TMobile and Verizon's offerings are better given their price. TMobile is offering the same thing as AT&T's unlimited plus but they're offering 2 lines for $100 which is a steal compared to the others. Plus I travel internationally a lot so the free unlimited data from TMobile is too good to pass up.

ShutURBiG! likes this.
  8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Exactly, I bet in some areas you'll see 50+ down and maybe 20 up or so. And I agree completely on leaving at&t (like I mentioned I'm with them too) but starting to wonder what I'm paying for.. I left the gf'd plan due to the throttling (it used to actually be at 6GB or so) and then they'd throttle you to like nothing... maybe 256kbit or something, absolutely terrible. I also wonder if the 3mbit was after the limit or if it was maybe regarding the upload like you mentioned.

Anyway, I also definitely agree with you that some of these other companies seem to be doing pretty good now and are competitive, so it's good for us! I stuck with at&t because of the speed and a corporate discount from work, but with all these ads from Verizon/sprint/even t-mobile it'll be interesting.

Junkyard_Dog likes this.
  9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I've been with T-Mobile for 4 years now and despite them being shady with pushing crap onto your bill you never asked for, I've been fine with them.

However, I'm in a different part of the country now and travel often to rural areas. T-Mobile reception is non-existent in most of these small pocketed areas. With what Verizon is offering right now, the only thing stopping me from switching to Verizon is whether or not they'll offer a better phone for trade-in promo. I'm not giving up my Galaxy S6 Edge+ for a ****ing iPhone or a Pixel. MAYBE a Pixel XL, but not a regular Pixel.

If Verizon runs a promo on the S8 for port-in, adios T-Mobile.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

AT&T keeps bumping up their grandfathered unlimited plan by $5/month in cost. If I hadn't just bought a new phone, I'd probably be looking at some other provider by now. The only other one I trust with coverage is Verizon, though, so ... eh.

They also keep bumping up the price on my Uverse package which includes phone, Internet, and TV service, so I'll probably be shopping around for something new there, too.

I've come to the conclusion I've just got way too much AT&T in my life ... :)