1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

At least we've found our 3rd & SS of the future...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ESource, Sep 28, 2003.

1. ESource

ESource Member

...short-term future at the very least! Adam Everett solidified the SS position and is a BIG asset on defense. His hitting was actually better than I had hoped for considering ALL the problems he's had in the past w/ major league pitching. I look for him to improve next season and hopefully will become a .250 hitter w/ a little pop! Morgan Ensberg was the biggest surprise to me, even more than Everett or even Robertson! I had no expectations that he would adjust so well to the pitching in the majors! He had a good bat in the minors BUT I never expected he would adjust so well. And he was no light-hitting 3rd baseman either. His defense was solid and I can't wait to see his further development next season especially on offense! Jerome Robertson is what he is. He's an outstanding 5th pitcher in the rotation BUT expecting anymore than that shows how weak our starting rotation was/is. Still, he did a very good job considering this was his rookie year. IF we get another front-line starter and Redding continues to improve, I expect Jerome to have another good year as our 5th starter! If he has to be our 3rd or 4th starter, then we can kiss next season good-bye again! AND finally Brad Lidge! What can I say except I love his stuff! He finally showed why he was a former 1st rounder and why the Astros were patiently waiting for him to get healthy. He has awsome stuff and IS our closer of the future!!! 'nuf said...............

2. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i'm still shocked the two guys i saw at the start of two seasons ago are the same morgan ensberg and adam everett. they looked so horrible i never thought they'd pan out and wondered why we had any hope for them at all. i guess that is one thing to take from this season.

3. BALLhog 247 365

time for blum to go.im pretty sure if ensberg had played full time he would have had hank blalocks nummber

4. dc sports

dc sports Member

I agree, it's time to move Ensberg into a bigger role. Given time to develop further, he'll play a big part in the future of this club.

But I don't think we should get rid of Blum. Remember, his role was supposed to be 3rd base backup, never a starter. We should keep him, for a couple of reasons. 1) He has proven himself as a utility infielder. He can provide options for the team later in the game, as well as providing a capable relief for the starters on 'rest' days. 2) He's a good pinch hitter -- and a switch hitter. Again, this gives the team options. 3) He's a solid player, who could fill in for injuries in several locations. 4) Ensberg's still new to the role. Some of the problems he has the first time around were due to the fact he was pushed in too quickly. Blum can provide a backup when Ensburg struggles.

5. TedRuxpin

TedRuxpin Member

Actually, Ensberg disappeared in the 2nd half. His hr and rbis # were mostly produced in the first half.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

So did his at bats...coincidence?

I think not.

DD

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Here's some stats. Perhaps you will find them useful in future arguments where you make assumptions based on your hunches.

ABs for Ensberg by month:

April - 32
    May - 53
    June - 67
    July - 86
    Aug. - 82
    Sept. - 62

So starting in July, he was getting a little over 80 ABs a month. It dropped to 62 in September. But that is through the 27th, so had he had 2-3 more games with 4 ABs each, he has 70-74 ABs in September...all in all not that much less than July and August. And that's not even mentioning the point that his second half ABs added up are WAY more than his first half. Face it, Morgan was great this season, but his production the last month and a half or so fell off greatly. And his ABs really didn't fall off to match, either.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

While Ensberg's production fell off greatly, he may have secured the 3B job next year with his big final week of the season.

9. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

I want Endsberg to be an everyday guy, but Blum is good enough that he doesn't deserve to be on the bench.

10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's kind of the way I feel about it. I like Blum, and I think he could be a starting 3B for many other teams. Also, it seems that with his abilities, Geoff might be worth more as trade bait right now than as a backup 3B/utility infielder.

11. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Jerry-Omee Robertson is proof that win/loss record is the worst indicator of how good a pitcher is. Unless you're 25-3, win/loss numbers mean almost zilch...Dude sucks...

12. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Agreed...I hate to see 3rd base get platooned...

ME & AE are the steel curtain and actually had decent years at the plate (at least ME)...

Blum is a great utility guy, but he would rather play everyday...