1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros trade thought

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by juicystream, May 31, 2007.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

This was a part of Jason Stark's Rumblings & Grumblings on ESPN.com today:

Rumblings & Grumblings

I was curious to know what anyone thought about our ability to trade for Saltalacmacchia to be the new catcher for this franchise. The Braves could use help in the bullpen and we have Lidge, Qualls, and Wheeler anyone of which could help the Braves. I think we could put a very appealing package out there to the Braves and get one of the top young catching prospects.

2. msn

msn Member

Let's send Jason Lane, Morgan Ensberg, Trever Miller, Brian Moehler, Orlando Palmeiro, and Humberto Quintero. Oh, and David Carr.

3. Howyalikemenow

LOL! Could you imagine trying to slide that one buy them. "No seriously, it's a good trade, you should take it. Tim Purpora would."

Hehe.

I keep hoping that I'm going to check Clutchfans or Chron.com and see Lane and Palmeiro are waived...

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

don't we have a good young catcher in our farm system right now?

didn't we just draft another one last year?

5. kevwun

kevwun Member

There's nobody in the farm system that has a good shot of being ready to catch in the next 2 or 3 years. Trading for him would make sense. We have guys in the minors who should make good relievers and they're already in AA and AAA.

6. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

yup....therein lies the problem my boy.

7. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

I would definitely want to see this trade happen. Trade for Saltalamacchia now and let him split time with Ausmus and transition over as the starter next season. If we have to give up Lidge to do it then make the trade, I hate to see Brad go to the Braves, but you have to give up quality to get quality.

8. edwardc

edwardc Member

They are not going to trade him that why he's play first.the stro would have to give up some really good young players to get him.

9. Buck Turgidson

JR Towles. Remember that name, he could be ready in '09. I'm assuming they will look for a veteran stopgap, but I don't really know.

Max: Max(!) Sapp is 19 & doing quite well in Lexington. He's a few years away. There's talk that they may eventually move him from behind the plate

Salty's playing 1B in ATL right now, there's a good chance they'll just move him there. Would Lidge/Wheeler/Qualls + (?) be enough? No idea. I'm sure they'll ask.

10. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

qualls, lamb maybe A/AA player will probably get it done

(nobody wants our trash so don't even talk about em)

11. kevwun

kevwun Member

Towles is in Corpus now, but it's supposed to be temporary. I think he's filling in because of an injury. He hit well last year in Lexington and started this year in High A at Salem. He's not hitting so well right now. 2009 is probably a bit of a stretch. I would say he'll have to play his way back to Corpus and stick this year for it to be a possibility. It's such a crap shoot. I'd really like to know what Atlanta wants.

12. Poloshirtbandit

I think he's there because the starter is suspended (Santangelo was his name I think).

13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Baseball America list shows J.R. Towles at #6 and Max Sapp at #9 on the list of top ten prospects for the Astros in the minors. Towles is 23, but his average for the year right now is at .210 - not exactly a panacea to the offensive woes, at least at this point. Baseball America lists him as the best defensive catcher in the organization.

I think Sapp is the guy who was just drafted. He bats left-handed which would be nice for a catcher but is at Lexington which is the middle ranking of the three A level teams and is only 19 years old.

Obviously I have never seen either play, but it doesn't sound like either of them is nearly ready to be productive in the major leagues.

And I'm not sure if anybody checked, but Saltalamacchia is only 22 and batted all of .230 w/ .733 OPS at AA last year. He doesn't exactly sound like he is particularly ready either.

#13 Ottomaton, May 31, 2007
    Last edited: May 31, 2007
  14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I'd offer the Braves their choice of Lidge, Qualls, and Wheeler for Salty. He's the best catching prospect in all of baseball. I doubt the Braves bite.

He was injured a lot last season so I wouldn't put a lot of stock in last year's numbers. This year he's crushing the ball. He's younger than Hunter Pence and considered a better prospect than Pence. Make the offer Timmy boy! Then trade whichever reliever is left to the Mets for one of their OF prospects.

15. kevwun

kevwun Member

The guy who was suspended for roids is a pitcher.

16. kevwun

kevwun Member

Nevermind, he is a catcher.

17. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In the same column, Starks mentions that Aaron Rowand and possibly Carl Crawford might become available.

I could live with an outfield of Lee, Rowand/Crawford, and Pence. It might be enough to spark the 'stros.

Rowand is hitting .321 with 7 HRs and 26 RBI.

The Phillies seem to have concluded they'll have no choice but to at least dangle center fielder Aaron Rowand before the trading deadline if they're still looking for late-inning bullpen upgrades. But one NL scout who is a longtime Rowand admirer says that would be a big mistake. "You're talking about a guy who has a Philadelphia-type mentality," the scout said. "And that's hard to find. Plus, this guy is a big force in that clubhouse, and you have to be really careful about trading a player like that. Sometimes, the intangibles that guy offers under the surface don't become apparent until after he's gone." By the way, Rowand's tangibles aren't too shabby, either. He's sixth among all NL outfielders in OPS. And he hasn't gone two straight games without a hit all season.

Qualls and filler for Rowand. Do it, Purp!

18. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

If Qualls can be had for Rowand, what can Lidge get the Astros? He looks pretty damn dominant again.

19. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

i had the same exact thought about a Qualls for Rowand type swap. Yea we lose one of our backend guys but you got to give up something to get something and White might be able to replace Qualls role. Until recently he had been doing extremely well and although I dont think he can be as effective as Qualls he's still an adequate replacement. Rowand's got excellent defense and a way better bat than Lane/Scott

I think Lidge will be more valuable to us if we keep him especially with his recent success of coming back to form

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

wow, really? where are they talking about moving him? and why?