1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

When the Twins acquired Garcia, they were in second place, 2 games out of first and essentially tied for the top wild card. In the 4 games since then they are 6 games out of first and now in third place. KC and Cleveland are finally playing like the teams they should be. If they can flip Garcia and receive better than what they sent out, that's a good deal.

2. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

He's a better fit in NL IMO.

KevinsBacon likes this.
  3. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I went from being hyped that both the Rockets and Astros were gonna swing major deals within the same week, to becoming resigned to the fact that the Astros are going to stand pat while the Rockets get ****ed by the Knicks.

4. ktex

ktex Member

Betting we do nada.

vince likes this.
  5. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

[​IMG]

He should be a target.

6. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Can someone explain to me why a pitcher would be better in AL vs NL or vice versa other than the fact they face another pitcher or DH? I mean thats only 3-4 ABs a game, is there some other reason?

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. texans1095

texans1095 Member

I really really really hope I'm wrong. But at this point I don't see the Astros doing anything more than possibly adding Justin Wilson. Everything Luhnow has said over the past week or so has made me believe they won't trade for a SP like Gray or Darvish or Verlander. I hope they do, but I don't think they will. I would love to trade for Wilson, but even that's not a sure thing at this time given the fact that close to 6 teams are highly interested in him.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

One thing he brought up (again) was the fact that in 2015.... David Price ended up coming on the market late (after he had already traded prospects for Kazmir/Gomez/Fiers).

Had he waited, there's a chance they could/would have beaten Toronto's offer (presuming it would have been a combination of the above plus whatever else they were going to trade for Hamels).

Seems like it was a lesson learned to not make too many deals before you know exactly who is and isn't available.

adw and DuBose like this.
  10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'd say this is a possibility. I expect Astros have made their offer for Gray. Yankees and others have made theirs. A's are trying to see if a potential buyer will increase its offer. Not sure whether that is good or bad for Astros.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I assume I'd rather have Whitley...but there's no guarantee with that guy, either. Injuries...disappointments...those happen more often than not with baseball prospects. I hear what you're saying, and it's rational to be sure. These are all shades of grey...not black and white. The answer to every "would you trade for ____________?" is always, "it depends."

I do have some exciting news, however. Fortunately, I've joined a new group that just may be of assistance to us. My understanding is that all are welcome, and dialing a 900 number is all it took to secure my membership. I'd invite you to do the same, and make that commitment to the Dionne Warwick Psychic Friends Network. It's just a phone call away, Hey Now! :)

DuBose likes this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. Major

Major Member

Santana? Liriano? WTF?

14. MadMax

Does this mean Ervin Santana?

DuBose likes this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

No, Johan. ;)

Yes.

Joshfast, Marteen, Nimo and 1 other person like this.
  16. MadMax

SOLD!!!!! :)

17. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Interesting fact. Ervin Santana's real first name IS Johan. To avoid confused from the really good Johan Santana we once had, he started going by Ervin.

So in a way, yes, yes we would be trading for Johan Santana. Full circle.

Joshfast likes this.
  18. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Member

Just noticed that Santana has thrown really well this year against Cleveland (both times in Cle).

MadMax likes this.
  19. MadMax

We're through the looking glass here, people.

jsingles and Snake Diggit like this.
  20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

This BoR stuff has to just be Luhnow feeding the rumor mill to try and scare the ToR sellers. A Liriano or Santana addition does nothing for Houston, and may actually make them worse.

Major likes this.