1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I'm guessing they'll favor Altuve because of the potential ROI on his various milestone chases, etc. That's more of a Drayton mindset, I know - I just don't think they'll turn their backs on it.

We'll see; as I said, the next 3-5 years are going to be fun, as well as an out-and-out bloodbath (unless Crane sets a $300MM roster budget).

DuBose likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Nice leak by the Astros front office to lower the cost of Britton.

DuBose and chievous minniefield like this.
  3. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Gray and Wilson
    Gray and Wilson
    Gray and Wilson

i just don't know how anyone can be comfortable with our rotation given keuchel's and mchugh's returns from extended absences, mccullers decline over the past month and what fiers impending regression to his mean. then we have our pen trotting out sipp and feliz who have been gas cans of late and harris on the DL on top of devo who has definitely shown some cracks in his previous flawless facade. peacock would be an excellent addition there to be sure and it will be interesting to see what musgrove can do from the pen.

we have a stocked farm system - time to trade some of those chips in for ML help. this season is too special to rest on our laurels.

4. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Totally on board, although I would accept Gray and Britton as well.

BHannes2BHonest and DuBose like this.
  5. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

After further review the runner did not touch second base. Touchdown Celtics.

KevinsBacon likes this.
  6. the shark

the shark Member

Elite pitching is hard to acquire. If Keuchel can stay healthy the rest of this yr and next they better do everything in their power to resign him.

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

The decline in McCullers' numbers over the past month has me very worried. If he's not our true #2 this season (and we don't deal for a #2), our chances of a World Series run take a huge hit.

BHannes2BHonest and mikol13 like this.
  8. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

He'll likely command upwards of $20MM/year; he'll be 30 with what's looking like a spotty track record when it comes to injuries. I don't think there's ANY chance they'll resign him, which is why they can't be irresponsible with their system.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If Keuchel was willing to sign a 3 year deal for a little more/year, I think they'd offer that.

I don't see a lot of teams willing to go 5+ years for somebody with his track record (lots of pitches thrown, arm/neck problems because of it).

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Those are the same reasons we might actually keep him. If he stayed healthy he'd command a 5+ year deal. Now you have to wonder if a short term deal might be possible.

12. body slam

body slam Member

Just saw on rotoworld that the Twins are fielding calls on Ervin Santana and Jaime Garcia.

DuBose likes this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

As a followup to my earlier Justin Wilson note, sources say 6-8 teams are still engaged with #Tigers. #Nationals are strongly in the mix.

The #Astros have expressed interest in Wilson, but indications are they haven't made an offer to distinguish themselves from the pack.

It's not only playoff teams in on Wilson. He's under club control for 2018, so some non-contenders have jumped into the fray with #Tigers.

Finally, the chances of a Justin Wilson-Justin Verlander package deal with any club between now and Monday are not good. #verycomplex

Teams continue to inquire with #Tigers on Verlander, but I don't get the sense there's anything hot at the moment.

If I had to guess, there's a much better chance of #Tigers moving Justin Wilson and Alex Avila than Justin Verlander at the deadline.

BHannes2BHonest and DuBose like this.
  14. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I don't understand the rationale of acquiring a LHR who isn't strong against LHB.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He's a great pitcher that can be used for 3 batters instead of just 1 LHB?

Edit: I'm not thinking the Astros are going after a Loogy. They just want good relief pitchers. Hand and Miller (edit Wilson) just happen to be left handed.

#1835 Joe Joe, Jul 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

LOL, they just f**king got him, he hasn't even made an appearance yet. You can't be thrilled with any front office that is that damn wishy washy.

As for the Astros, I can see a case for adding Gray, or adding a dominant pen arm. Adding Gray moves Peacock and maybe Morton to the pen to bolster that unit, adding a great reliever allows us to shorten games so that guys like Morton or Peacock can be pulled early. Martes has looked extremely good recently in that role as well.

I still feel that as of right now, our best option for a great starter is just to pair up Peacock and Morton. If we do add a Sonny Gray, I'm not sure what would be a better option. Tagging up those 2 for a game 4, or starting McHugh or Fiers and pulling them at the first sign of struggle so Morton/Peacock can be flexible.

With Devo, Peacock, Morton and Martes we have some very interesting middle length dominance options.

DuBose likes this.
  17. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I hear you. Wilson just doesn't excite me much. I won't set couches on fire if we acquire him, but I'd rather get someone who can erase LHBs. Not a LOOGY but someone who can dominate LHBs. We don't have that currently.

Maybe Wilson's LHB/RHB splits have been overblown.

18. raining threes

Straily is available.

Thoughts

DuBose likes this.
  19. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Don't. Go. There.

raining threes likes this.
  20. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rather have Delgado.