1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Buck Turgidson

Britton in July: 6G, 6IP, 0R, 3H, 1 2B, 2BB, 6K, 10GB, 2FB, 90 pitches, 58% strikes, 1-0, 3SV

2. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Count me in

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  3. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Britton and iglasias I doubt anything past that. Unless they bid for Realmuto or Ramos comes back strong

4. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t mind spit balling it a bit after awhile it goes nowhere.

Having said that, you want concrete rumors... over last few weeks I have read or heard on the radio from legitimate sources that the Astros have discussed.... Britton, Iglesias, Familia, Ramos and just a general “Astros talking to lots of teams about veteran corner outfield bats”.

kaleidosky likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

He isn’t overrated.

He missed a whole year of development during his passage from Cuba, he has battle fluke injuries and a culture shock and has progressively improved his bat speed and production. He has as much raw power as anyone in the minors, he goes opposite field at an elite level, he hits for average and draws walks... hell he is an even more tooled fielder than expected. All he needs to do is slightly cut his strikeouts and stay healthy.

6. HTown2017Champs

I'm sorry for bad wording. My point is he can be used to get Realmuto and our farm will not take as much of a hit if Alvarez is traded as we have depth. My biggest concern is with injuries (did the Astros EVER say what the injury was? All I remember is they changed the story a few times,). I say trade for Realmuto and Britton and call it a deadline. I mean, I know trading for Realmuto is not popular here, but another consistent bat is nice, and Realmuto can become part of our core group of players. Finding an elite C like him with a consistent bat and one who can handle a full load (plus up to 3 postseasons of control) is not easy, finding more OF is. And it sounds lie McCann's injury may be worse than expected. If so, then we definitely need to go after Realmuto. Just my opinion.

raining threes likes this.
  7. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

i watched him in the two yankees games he pitched in this week and he looked good. complete 180 from the atlanta and seattle games i saw him look washed up in

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  8. HTown2017Champs

Just took him time to get adjusted. Also, I like that he, unlike Hand and Iglesias, has had experience pitching for a contender (Orioles had a pretty good run through the 2016 season). Britton is who we should trade for. If we get him and he's good, then maybe even (at least try to) re-sign him this offseason.

Yet another Giles/Iglesias comparison, and another reason why I'm wary of Iglesias.

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Britton has my attention. His question marks and impending free agency should make him really affordable as well.

10. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

If you could post a link to where you get the info on mccanns knee that would be awesome. I keep hearing the same thing over and over, but only by posters on this site. I have seen nowhere else where McCann isn’t expected back and ready to go after the 4-6 week period. Would love to see something concrete on that. Thanks man

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.chron.com/sports/astros...cCann-says-he-will-return-during-13055417.php

Astros catcher Brian McCann, who underwent arthroscopic surgery this week to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee, said Friday he was "100 percent" certain he will return to the active roster before the end of the regular season.

McCann, who was placed on the disabled list Tuesday, said he played as long as he could with recurring knee problems that dated back to last year, opting for surgery when he could no longer be an effective player.

"It wasn't stable," he said. "I can deal with the pain, but it was getting to the point where I couldn't swing the bat. I had no stability in my knee, and it would give out on me when I would go to swing and it was just affecting the way I was playing baseball."

McCann would not project when he would be able to return from the disabled but said, "I'm going to come back stronger than any point since I've put on this (Astros) uniform."

Astros manager A.J. Hinch also declined to project a date but indicated it won't be until late August or early September.

"The good thing is that people are saying the right things and feeling optimistic," Hinch said.

McCann, 34, went on the disabled list last August and aggravated his ailing knee during Game 2 of the American League Division Series last year against the Red Sox. He said he considered offseason surgery but opted to keep going.

"That's kind of the way I was raised, and you keep going until you can't," he said. "I felt I could continue to be productive, and halfway through the season I realized it was getting worse."

McCann said doctors repaired the meniscus and "cleaned out some other things" in the joint. He said he is icing the joint and has begun a light exercise program as he recovers from surgery.

During his absence, McCann said he has full confidence in catchers Max Stassi and Tim Federowicz.

As for himself, he said, "I feel really confident moving forward."

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

This is interesting because if McCann is really going to be out until September, it makes it a lot easier to add a catcher to the roster this month, since rosters will expand to 40 men by the time McCann returns, and the 3rd catcher can be left off the playoff roster without jeopardizing the teams control over them. If they can get Realmuto without giving up Tucker or Whitley I really think they should do it.

raining threes likes this.
  13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Maybe they could use the Marlins for one stop shopping:

Astros get:
    C JT Realmuto
    LF Derek Dietrich
    RHP Kyle Barraclough

Marlins get:
    OF Kyle Tucker
    RHP David Paulino
    RHP Corbin Martin
    1B AJ Reed
    SS Jonathan Arauz
    C Tim Federowicz

Giving up Tucker hurts and is probably a non-starter for Luhnow but I think the value is there to make it a good deal for Houston.

Miami could still flip Bour, Castro, and Steckenrider to fill their remaining projected prospect holes (C, 2B, SP, RP).

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  14. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Even if he does return by then, being in a catcher squat position all game probably won’t be helping his cause. Hopefully we add another vet catcher to allow McCann to recover properly and provide a bat in case Stassi or Federowicz get jitters in the playoffs.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I agree except I would add Alvarez.

16. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I’d do this deal in a heartbeat. Doesn’t seem like enough for them though. If they wanted Kemp and Martes I’d send them along too. Or Giles. Yeah, definitely Giles.

17. Buck Turgidson

It affects you much more at the plate. The amount of stress and torque you put on your front knee is pretty extreme.

clutch citizen likes this.
  18. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Giving up Tucker is stupid and not needed to acquire Realmuto but in that scenario, Tucker and Tucker alone gets it done. Realmuto ain’t nothing special

19. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

?? Um, yes he is. He's arguably the game's second best catcher.

20. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Uh, Realmuto has been the best catcher in baseball so far this season. He also is 27 and under control through the 2020 season. He’s much better than you are giving him credit for.