1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Buck Turgidson

Putting him in the same sentence with Kemp and Straw was what stood out to me.

Please do not trade Col. Perez; I've seen enough to say he's got the stuff and even better he throws it with his left hand.

eta: "left hamstring tightness" for Wilson Ramos is going to keep him out of the ASG. He unsurprisingly, given the position he plays and the break coming up, said he will "probably end up on the DL." You twitterers keep us posted on any news as it comes out, please.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  2. HTown2017Champs

By overrated, I'm talking about the fact that everybody is like "untouchable" and "we cannot trade him". IF you have a chance to get an impact player as talented as Realmuto at a premium position we need help in for up to 3 playoff runs, you do it. I'm saying we can fill his hole. Can't just keep hoarding prospects who get blocked in the AAA logjam and never see the light of day. He's perfectly expendable for a Realmuto trade.

3. Buck Turgidson

Your obvious dislike of the DH clouds your judgement on these things. Am I disagreeing with your point? Maybe maybe no.

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If Realmuto is too expensive, and Ramos is hurt, and they expect McCann to be hurt thru the playoffs, C Omar Narvaez from the White Sox could be a dark horse trade target. Good defender, league average lefthanded bat who doesn’t strike out much, shouldn’t be too expensive. I think he’d make a good complement to Stassi.

eric.81 likes this.
  5. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Ok I’m sorry, you are absolutely right

Luhnow is a dumbass for not moving Tucker for him already, maybe he will move Alvarez, Bukauskas, Martin and Kemp for him. Add in Davis and White and Paulino if needed

If not he is just being stupid again

6. The Beard

I missed the McCann out thru the playoffs press release. That really sucks. We have to unload whatever is necessary now for Realmuto or Ianetta

7. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Astros don’t have room to add a fourth catcher this season, once McCann and Gattis hit free agency this winter, sure.

Stassi is perfectly suitable as a starter on a championship team (rated as the #1 pitch framer in baseball per fangraphs). Defense is by far the most important part of what you want from a catcher.

Stassi’s 7 hr and 24 RBI’s in 160 at bats is on par with Realmuto’s 12 hr and 44 RBI’s in 271 at bats. It’s not as overwhelming of an upgrade as you think we aren’t trading Derek Fisher for Mike Trout in this scenario.

As far as “hoarding prospects” we just pulled off trades for Verlander & Cole that were some hauls.

The Beard likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

If they wanted to, sure they do: DFA Fed (again).

raining threes likes this.
  9. HTown2017Champs

The thing is, Realmuto is a big upgrade offensively while still providing great defense. Also, I hear that some in the front office are skeptical Stassi can handle a full workload during the postseason. And McCann, any updates? All I've heard is 4-6 weeks, which means he should be back before September. Did someone say he may be out for the season?

10. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

The problem everyone is missing is McCanns knees may never be healthy from here on out. He could easily hurt them all over again.
    And we haven't had a offensive and defensive catcher.... since Ausmus maybe????
    Ramos is injured depends on severaity but likely out 2 to 3 weeks depending.
    Realmuto is still relatively young and hasn't hit his prime. But if you get him could learn from McCann??????? Stassi as the back up catcher. And you have a set lineup. McCann can back up Catcher and DH.
    Realmuto catch 3 Sp. Stassi the other 2.

That's how you can get it done. McCann needs to only catch for McCullers or Morton. Either or. I would choose the later of the two.

11. The Beard

So who are you removing from the roster to carry 3 catchers?

Cut Kemp and just go with Marwin as your 4th OF?

Cut your leading RBI guy in Gattis and just go with a worse DH?

Who?

12. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

Ausmus was a really good defensive catcher, but his career 76 wRC+ tells me that his bat was allergic to the ball.

13. raining threes

Fedo/White

14. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

marwin as 4of?

Maybe fedora
    But then u can still add a bat and move marwin out there. Also depends on if McCann comes back and stays healthy and no other injurys accure

15. The Beard

Fedo goes for the catcher you trade for, but when McCann comes back and you say you will have him along with Realmuto and Stassi, someone else goes. Assuming they go with 12 pitchers and not 13, that leaves two reserves that aren’t catchers. I will assume Marwin stays, if you only want two reserves you better have some versatility, then you get one more. Maybe you need to trade for another Marwin type at that point

16. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Except he’s not that big of an upgrade, he’s hit 5 more homeruns in 100+ more at bats. It’s just a luxury when adding another bullpen arm and a reserve IF’er or OF’er look like bigger needs (not sure they’d even need to make a deal on that)

Fine with this postseason 25.

C (3) Stassi, McCann, Gattis
    IF (5) Yuli, Tuve, Correa, Bregman, Marwin
    OF (4) Springer, Tucker (Believe he adjusts in due time), Reddick, Kemp

SP (4) Verlander, Keuchel, Cole, McCullers/Morton

RP (8) Rondon, Devo, McHugh, Peacock, McCullers/Morton, Sipp, Perez (stuff looks legit), Harris

Final Spot Options (if they don’t acquire someone before July 31st): Giles, J. Smith, Marisnick, Fisher, J.D. Davis, White, etc

17. The Beard

I think we use some of our incredible minor league depth to add a high upside reliever, my guess would be Britton. Other than that, I think Jake makes it as a reserve. I’m not a big Jake fan, but I think Luhnow and AJ values his defense greatly as a reserve

18. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

What about a Britton and Adam Jones acquisition? But both are UFA's and I can't see them using up their minor league depth for 2 players that may possibly be playing for another team next season.

I think they acquire Rasiel Iglesias. It's been reported that they were interested in the past and once again another reporter recently said the Astros has a high opinion on him. He's only 28 and has 2 more years or so left so I think the Astros may think it's worth using up their deep depth of prospects on him.
    Was he the mystery player that the Astros were after last deadline? A player that wasn't on the block but after the Astros kept asking the team decided to listen to offers. It wasn't Britton since it was already rumored they were after him and he was on the block.

Do the Reds have any other players they can use to make it a bigger trade? Billy Hamilton or is he a slightly better(hitting, not sure about his D) version of Jake?

#4478 punkoholic, Jul 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  19. raining threes

I just read the OP in this thread again.

Thanks for the LOL's.

20. The Beard

My personal thoughts on Iglesias are that he is another unproven great arm. Like Giles when we got him, we didn’t know how he would perform under true pressure (closing for a contender)

If we could get him with “depth” type prospects I’d be all in, it sounds like Cincy would have to be almost overwhelmed to move him though, and I don’t want to give up one of our top 3 for someone who is relatively unknown in the spot we want him for.

Britton and Jones together (didn’t know Jones was a rental) would be fine if Tucker is showing no signs by the deadline, I still think he gets going though.

My favorite thought is a deal of our depth prospects for Britton and depending on the medicals on McCann, same type of deal for Ramos

raining threes likes this.