1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. CinematicFusion

Also gives more options. Yuli could play third, Bregman SS, Abreu at first if Correa's back continues to be an issue going forward. I don't think it will... but this gives you more options.

2. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Back injuries can linger and come back more than 90% of other injuries. I think we will see him get a few more days off than normal when he gets back. To this point they seem to like Marwin at short more than making the other changes though

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Felipe Vasquez is an interesting lefty for the Pirates. He could be very helpful against a lineup like the Red Sox and can pitch against RHBs. Pirates are the type of team that plays for the middle and is more likely to be up for receiving high floor prospects even if they have low ceilings.

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I don’t think DeGrom is realistically available. Also, no way McCulllers accepts a permanent move to the pen. He doesn’t mind if in the playoffs, but he definitely sees himself as a starter and he’s not going to make that move without ruffled feathers.

Astros are in a good spot where they don’t have to do anything. They’ll canvas the market and if they see a value they like, they’ll pounce.

The Beard likes this.
  5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Gattis is not going to be counted on at catcher for the Astros. If they acquired Abreu, it would mean Tucker or Kemp going down. Gurriel either shifts to 3B or a utility role, with Bregman possibly moving to LF. Doesn’t make a ton of sense right now, but would make a lot more sense for next season when they will have to backfill for Marwin and Gattis.

Chilly_Pete likes this.
  6. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Last year, DeGrom was certainly an option.

Unless they have plans to move McCullers to bullpen for postseason... (which would be crazy). I don't think it's got a great shot at happening.

For the right price, DeGrom would be great but I just can't see Astros doing it.

7. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

hahaha no

8. Buck Turgidson

I don't forsee them using Gurriel in any sort of utility role. He's not a young man and is not the most fleet of foot to begin with. He's a corner IF.

If you could combine him and his brother into 1 player, then you'd have something.

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Well when I say “utility role” I mean being the backup at 1B, 3B, 2B, and DH. I don’t expect him to play SS or OF. Ideally next season we’re talking 40 games at 1B, 30 at 3B (since Bregman would be the backup SS), 10 at 2B, and 50 at DH. For this season, if they traded for Abreu, Gurriel would most likely shift to 3B with Bregman going out to LF and Tucker going down to AAA.

“Everyday” 2018 lineup:
    CF Springer
    LF Bregman
    2B Altuve
    SS Correa
    1B Abreu
    DH Gattis
    3B Gurriel
    RF Reddick
    C Stassi
    Bench: Kemp, McCann/Fed, Marwin

“Everyday” 2019 lineup:
    CF Springer (Can also play RF and LF)
    3B Bregman (can also play everywhere but 1B and C)
    2B Altuve
    SS Correa
    1B Abreu
    LF Tucker (can play RF and CF)
    DH Gurriel (can play 1B, 2B, 3B)
    RF Reddick (can play LF and CF)
    C Stassi
    Bench: Kemp (2B, LF, CF), White (1B, 3B, emergency 2B/SS/LF/C), Stubbs (C).

#4389 Snake Diggit, Jul 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  10. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Care to elaborate?

11. Buck Turgidson

I have doubts about him at 2B in anything other than an emergency. Not sure about monkeying with Bregman and throwing him into an unfamiliar position, but I can see the upside to what you're talking about.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  12. CinematicFusion

Morton or McCullers will be in the pen during the playoffs. You will only go with 4 starters in the playoffs and Keuchel would be a terrible choice out of the pen.

I was just throwing deGrom out there as a possibility if Hand and Inglesias cost the same. We are losing maybe both Keuchel and Morton next year to free agency. If the deal worked on paper for deGrom, might consider it.
    McCullers would move to the pen for this year, just like McCugh did. Be a starter next year.

I think Britton is the best choice for the Astros and if you could swing it another bat.

However, if the Astros are serious about Hand or Inglesias....throwing deGroms name in the ring isn’t as crazy as it seems.

Rockets FTW likes this.
  13. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Trust me. I'm all for getting DeGrom with the years left on contract given Keuchel and Morton potentially leaving. I just can't see Astros doing it, would be awesome if they did... would certainly send shock waves through the league. We would have a championship contender through 2021 and it would solidify us as favs IMO till that time.

It's a dynasty making move, not exactly as powerful as KD leaving for GSW but it would be a great move.

14. CinematicFusion

I’m with you. I only threw deGroms name in the hat if Cincinnati and San Diego put huge price tags out for Hand and Inglesias. If Astros are serious about those two pitchers....might as well explore deGrom. All three make sense long term and short term if the right deal is struck.

I think all three will be too costly and Britton would fit our needs best....but you never know.

15. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

You suggested Gattis catch, it was funny

Rockets FTW likes this.
  16. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Great talk.

mikol13 likes this.
  17. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

18. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

J.P. Morosi on MLB network says Astros and Natinals are interested in Wilson Ramos. Yes please. McCann cannot be counted on at this point due to the lingering injuries.

19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Add to that, does anyone feel comfortable with FedX in a critical playoff game?

20. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Zach Britton is our savior. Throw in Machado as a filler. Give them DFish, AJ Reed and F.Whitley.