1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The Rays, A’s, and Padres are teams that might be interested in Giles. All 3 aren’t rebuilding and may value Giles as someone who can lead their bullpen as they try to compete next season. I don’t expect Giles to be traded but if he is those 3 teams make sense.

2. Nook

Nook Member

Getting Ramos would likely mean out bidding the Nationals that really want him back.

I think like everything the Astros do, it will come down to cost.

If the cost is reasonable, the Astros will likely get him... if the cost goes up even a little bit too much, the Astros roll with Stassi.

I have to say that Ramos would look good batting in the 7-8 hole for the Astros though.

raining threes likes this.
  3. finsraider

finsraider Member

Agree with all of this. Ramos, at his likely price, makes a lot more sense than Realmuto. Plus, there's no reason you can't re-sign Ramos next offseason to be your full-time catcher if you don't think Stassi is the answer. Meanwhile you kept all of your high end prospects. Also, Stassi becomes a quality right handed bat off the bench.

Something like Stubbs, Giles, Corbin Martin and JD Davis is a lot of prospects with a lot of years of control for just 4 months of Ramos. We might even be able to get him cheaper, depending on what Tampa is looking for.

raining threes and Rockets FTW like this.
  4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I’d consider that a big overpay. If that’s what they’d have to give up for less than a 1/2 season of a league average bat who is aslightly above average defensive catcher I would just as soon they stand pat. Take a look at what rentals fetched last season. If Tampa values Giles appropriately then they should actually be sending lotto prospect back with Ramos. Otherwise I’d prefer Houston to keep Giles and try to shop him this offseason or give him a shot as a setup man next year. One 2nd tier prospect (like Corbin Martin, David Paulino, Derek Fisher, JD Davis, AJ Reed, etc.) and a lotto prospect (like Willy Collado or any of several dozen others) should be enough for Ramos.

5. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Too much for rental. I'd go Giles, JD Davis and another lower tier prospect.

6. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Didn't the Rays just trade Colome because he was getting expensive? Would they want Giles? Same control and both are up and down

7. finsraider

finsraider Member

But it speaks to the depth of our system that we could overpay for a rental and still be fine.

Either way, trading for Ramos feels like the right deal for the Astros...better than getting a LF bat. Between Tucker, Marwin and Kemp, we can be good enough there.

Also, we don't have a good right handed bat coming off the bench, and that would be solved by having a platoon of Ramos/Stassi.

R Springer
    R Bregman
    R Altuve
    R Correa
    R Gurriel
    L Reddick
    R Gattis
    R Ramos / Stassi
    L Kemp / Tucker / Marwin

R Ramos / Stassi
    R Marisnick
    L Kemp / Tucker / Marwin
    L Kemp / Tucker / Marwin

Rockets FTW likes this.
  8. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Completely agree.

9. conquistador#11

It looks like luhnow will be making calls for an extra arm to add to that bullpen. 19 days. Should be fun.
    [​IMG]
    (popcorn gifs are getting old)

10. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Astros talking with the Ray's about Ramos.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

Also always remember that you are most likely not trading just for the MLB player (of course this always depends on what you're giving up), the teams will haggle over a small group of lower level prospects that Luhnow can choose 1 or 2 from and vice versa. He's pretty good at that.

Rockets FTW likes this.
  12. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Agree that would be an overpay, but I don’t think you factor clubhouse value into any of your thoughts

He is a hothead who has had multiple issues already, leading to him getting shoved off the roster. Don’t mistake this for him going down to work on something. Giles was sent out cause he is an ******* who F bombed the manager that the rest of the team adores. He has also made it clear that he sees himself as a closer not a setup man, he isn’t in it for the team, he is in it for Ken

As for a Ramos deal, yes if they have interest in Giles he definitely has value there, but I don’t think he has enough value to get Ramos straight up. In addition to punching himself and f bombimg the manager, dude has been a bad pitcher this year

everyday eddie likes this.
  13. The Beard

Giles won’t be getting expensive though. Coming off the year he is having won’t help him...and if he is traded and goes on a good run, raising his arb cost...he would also be raising his trade value to be flipped for prospects

I’m not saying Tampa wants him, none of us know that...but it’s not crazy to think they would. He would fit the mold there, and we are definitely looking to get him out of here

14. The Beard

Yea you could likely replace Martin with a guy like Paulino, Davis with Reed...and have a deal both sides would be in on

15. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Not like Colome was pitching all that great, yet they still traded. Now I have no idea if price was the only reason, but I just imagine if they didn't want to keep Colome then they wouldn't want Giles. I could be wrong though, I have no idea.

16. prospecthugger

Let's not pretend we know how the clubhouse feels about Giles.

17. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

I was thinking about the Abreu rumors and trying to make sense of it. I guess they would move Gattis to catcher and Abreu and Yuli could play 1st or DH depending on how they wanted to do it.

18. The Beard

Doesn’t take too much to see that man

19. CinematicFusion

Astros are exploring cathers, 1st baseman Jose Abreu, and relievers like Hand, Britton, Reds closer Raisel Iglesias.
    How about also exploring a starter and moving Lance McCullers to the closer role?

Brad Hand and Raisel Iglesias would require top prospects. If you are going in that direction...why not also explore Jacob deGrom from the Mets?
    What would it take to get Jacob deGrom? I know it would be a high end but I'm sure the Reds are asking that for Iglesias.

Iglesias (age 28) is a Free Agent in 2021.
    deGrom (age 30) is a Free Agent in 2021.
    Brad hand (age 28) is a Free Agent in 2022.

If you are exploring high end options.... you might at well explore all the high end options. If the Astros choose this path. Zach Britton from the Orioles would be a lot cheaper being a rental.