1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Needed to happen. I think Giles has a Brad Lidge comeback in him, but it'll probably be for another team.

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If Giles spends a month in AAA, says/does all the right things, plays well, and somebody in the bullpen gets hurt, I think he will get another shot and could even earn his way back and be a great setup man in Houston for another 2 years. For now the odds are against it, but it’s possible. I will be really surprised if he is traded this month.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Treinen was a good late inning reliever that was eligible for arbitration at the next possible time he could be offered a contract, lost closer role on a contender coming off an epic meltdown (nearly a 6 ERA), and was traded to a team gave up for current year value for future value. Completely different than Giles.

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Put it to you this way: do you really think Giles will be traded to a non-contender this month?

5. Senator

Senator Member

Wasnt referring to you, was referring to Bobrel and others who use pointless stats to keep backing Giles. No one has campaigned harder for this than me , no one has campaigned harder for additional bullpen help. I see things long before they happen, I don't want this to turn into a procession instead of maxing out opportunities over the next decade.

Rockets FTW likes this.
  6. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

So you have likely won the lottery multiple times

Htown Stros likes this.
  7. prospecthugger

I'm really glad the Astros blew that lead so you could pat yourself on the back.

The Hunted likes this.
  8. Senator

Senator Member

I'd be patting myself on the back eventually, better now than October.

Yankees
    Red sox
    Indians

These are not forgiving lineups. Furious when the Stros signed Joe Smith instead of Brandon Morrow, but theres still time to bring in help.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

That's a strawman argument. He's likely to be traded this month. If a contender is willing to try him this year, he'll go to a contender as they would pay more. If not, he'll be traded to a non-contender. If he's traded to a non-contender, it will probably be a Treinen like trade...Giles plus a couple prospects for a solid reliever or two.

Padres more likely than Orioles if he goes to a non-contender.

#4349 Joe Joe, Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I don’t think you know what straw man means.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yep. You got me. Treinen is nothing like Giles because I think Giles is more likely to be traded to a contender. You win.

12. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Not a straw man.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  13. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Or that the deal was previously Santana and Hader for Gomez, which makes me even more sick to my stomach.

And no hindsight 20/20 here. I hated that deal the day we made it.

14. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Hi all. Been reading everyone's posts the last 2 to 3 years but never signed up. Tried signing up last year but had issues. Logged on last night hoping to see if I was able to post. No dice but finally got my account approved tonight. Anyhow yesterday one of the Canadian sports networks had Jon Morosi as a guest and they were talking Blue Jays potential trade chips. He mentioned if Tucker struggles he felt Curtis Granderson would be a good fit for the Astros. Any thoughts? Again, it was more of an opinion and not a rumor.

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I wanted Houston to sign Granderson this past offseason. If they determine they need a bat but don’t want to pony up for a star like Abreu or Realmuto then I can’t think of a better fit than Granderson.

16. Do WHAT?

Do WHAT? Member

17. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

The guys an all star. He's a vet. His OPS is over 800. He's on the last year of a deal so he's probably cheap, and it looks like McCann either might not come back this year, or if he can come back should probably be upgraded.
    Houston has a ton of guys at AAA that are blocked. Tampa likes to field competitive teams that are cheap. They seem like the perfect team for the Astros to trade with, and scream out for a package or something like Fisher or Davis, Reed and Kemp. Hell, they might even be interested in Giles as they go into every year trying to compete and catch lightning in a bottle (rather than trying to be truly terrible) and then flip pieces at the deadline to do it all again. They might think they can rehap Giles this year, go into next year with him, and flip him with a year and a half of club control left, for example.

cmlmel77 likes this.
  18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Wilson would be a solid add if the cost isn’t too steep and if they don’t expect McCann to be able to come back and be fully ready for the postseason.

19. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Agree and would love to have Ramos

I don’t think he would be crazy expensive as a rental. I bet Giles, Martin (or one of our many pitchers in that range), Reed and a low end guy would do it

Here is my question. Our staff appears to love McCann. So if we add him and McCann comes back for the playoffs, do you carry 3 catchers plus Gattis, or does Stassi not make it even as good as he has been?

I do think Ramos would be a great add and give us a great chance to win home field