1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Realmuto is probably the only position player in play that I would go after hard, but no Alvarez, Whitley, or Tucker which probably rules us out. I'd give up any or all of Stassi, Fisher, Davis, Armenteros, Martes. If you could slide Paulino, White, Kemp in place of any of those I'd be ok with that too.

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The Marlins would be foolish to trade Realmuto without getting a MLB Top 30 prospect in return. I wouldn't be willing to give up Tucker, Whitley, or Alvarez for him but another team will probably bite the bullet. The only AL contender besides Houston who could use him would be Boston. In the NL it's a little more competitive, as Arizona, Atlanta, Colorado, Milwaukee, San Diego, and Washington all could make a case for him, but half of those teams won't be buying at this year's deadline. The Braves, Brewers, and Nationals would be my picks for landing Realmuto. I wish Martes and/or Paulino were healthy and pitching well, as they'd be good lead chips in that case. If I were Houston, a 'quantity' package of Fisher, Davis, C Perez, C Martin, and Stassi would be my best offer.

3. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Athletic, in an article about Brad Hand and the interest he's likely to garner amongst the Astros, Cubs, Dodgers, Indians, and Yankees had this tidbit: "Houston seems more interested in Reds reliever Raisel Iglesias."

4. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

So, when you say quantity offer, you are obviously correct, but I think that there is some upside mixed in with some high floor guys.

Stassi- high floor- probably no upside- he's going to be able to catch somewhere between 50-110 games without problem. If his framing is legit he is an average or slightly above average backstop.
    Fisher- He's got some serious tools with power and speed, he could be a guy that is a regular on a good team if he realizes his potential- if not he's a useful 4th OF making nothing. Some upside left to explore
    Davis- is what he is- a guy who has some power, not great bat to ball skills, can play passable defense at 3B or LF as well as being fine at 1b. Nothing to dream on there, imo, but a guy who probably deserves to play in the majors and won't embarrass himself
    Perez and Martin- you can dream on them a little bit- either of them being a 3rd starter if they hit. Perez seems likely to be a pretty good lefty option out of the pen, and Martin probably makes a 25 man roster.

All in all- you don't have any guys you would bet on an all star appearance or anything on that list, but you probably have 3 credible major leaguers almost guaranteed in Fisher, Stassi and Davis and a couple of pitchers, that if the arms don't fall off, you'd expect to see on a big league mound some day.

I don't know that Miami has any interest in fielding a credible big league team. If they do, that package seems likely to help them along that route, for not much money, and fill some roster spots, with a couple arms that should be big leaguers and can be there eventually. I'd guess on 4 of those 5 guys to have positive WAR in the majors, even if they don't ever become regulars, or above average regulars. What that's worth to a team like Miami I have no idea, but I'd be intrigued by that package if I were them, I think.

5. burtgummer

burtgummer New Member

Hey guys
    Reds fan in peace (obviously)
    I just want to mention a trade to you guys and see what you think
    Reds get
    Trent Thornton
    Drew Ferguson
    2 lesser prospects

Astros get
    Adam Duvall
    Raisel Iglesias

Snake Diggit likes this.
  6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

You could get a lot, lot more for Iglesias.

Thornton and Ferguson aren't even really B level prospects for us. Honestly we might give that much up for Duvall alone despite his rough season.

So yes, we would do that in a heartbeat.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'll be honest, I wish you were the Reds GM.

BigMaloe likes this.
  8. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

What if he was the Reds GM and you just killed the deal?

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I had to look up Thornton & Ferguson to see what kind of monster season they must be having to make that logical. I loved the deal before finding out Duvall hasn't started arbitration yet and Iglesias is under contract for 2 more years.

Interesting thing about Duvall is that his numbers are down, but his line drive rate and hard hit rate are actually up.

10. burtgummer

burtgummer New Member

On Ferguson I was just going by stats in the minors and he's put up some good numbers.Right now the Reds have one of the best defensive cf in mlb but the guy cant hit to save his life
    Obviously you know your farm better than I do so it's not like I can dispute what you said

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yeah, this would be the worst possible time to trade a guy like Duvall. Team controlled and some advanced numbers that are better than his raw results.

Ferguson has had a really good year, .434 OBP in AAA is nothing to scoff at, to an outsider I could see why he would be interesting. Thornton has also been low key awesome this season.

If this were 2010 I would be stoked to see them in Houston.

12. burtgummer

burtgummer New Member

Duvall has a nickname with Reds fans Dudvall when playing everyday has a second half swoon that is unbearable or at least he has the last 2 years

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

We have a logjam of pretty good players at AAA right now. And we can't really do on the job training trying to win WS. If you were looking for Drew Ferguson type, Myles Straw would be a more valuable prospect. Frankly you could literally have any 3 guys currently in AAA aside from Kyle Tucker for Iglesias alone, and a few of them have top prospect pedigree, just blocked.

14. burtgummer

burtgummer New Member

I'll go along with Myles Straw the kid can hit and it looks like he could be a good lead off hitter
    Other than cf I don't think the Reds need a lot as far as everyday players

15. finsraider

finsraider Member

Realistically, the immediate, or even imminent future in the outfield looks like Springer, Reddick and Tucker. You've got to figure out what you're going to do with Kemp, Ferguson, Fisher, and Straw.

Kemp is performing for you right now, hitting .315 with a .392 OBP and solid defense. With 4 more years of club control, I'm not sure why you would trade him unless you think this is his peak value.

I'd have a really hard time trading Straw because he gives you Marisnick's defense with a much better shot at a quality bat.

So that leaves you with Fisher and Ferguson, neither of which have great value.

After looking at this, I'm ok with standing pat in the outfield. You'd hate to trade away the guys that work out when there's no immediate need to do anything.

Nothing really to talk about with the infield. It's locked in for another 3 seasons.

If you're looking for an area of concern, look at catcher. McCann is quietly having his worst year ever at the plate. Career lows in average, ops and slg. Also i've noticed an interesting trend lately....Hinch isn't starting McCann and Marisnick together. Maybe it's coincidence, but you could understand not putting 2 struggling bats in the lineup. Stassi has been a revelation, but he's still striking out on 33% of his at-bats...could that rear its head against the quality pitching we will see in the playoffs?

If I'm making a deal for a position player, it would be for a catcher. If not, then you might as well send Marisnick down now, because you can't carry his bat into the playoffs. Realmuto is far and away the best and most available option. The question might come down to would we surrender Alvarez...my guess is no. Would they take a volume haul of B list talents like Corbin Martin, JD Davis, Garrett Stubbs, Martes, etc.? I don't know, but then again, I'm not really sure who we would be competing against.

Pitching is really just about the bullpen, and I don't see a great need there. Maybe it would be nice to have a legit closer, but otherwise Peacock, McHugh, Devenski, Rondon & Sipp (lefties only) is plenty sufficient, especially if one of our starters moves into the bullpen for the playoffs.

16. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I just keep getting the feeling britton will be an Astro for a low price.
    And the way that luhnow was talking maybe a outfielder or C.
    I understand Tucker will come up. But you also have to see what your playing against in the future and in the play offs.
    They might add 2 bullpen arms and a bat.
    And that would be solid.

But would you entertain the idea of trading either McHugh or Peacock?
    There value is at its max. And you could get that piece you desperately desire. For far less and maybe just maybe get the player you truly cover and not loose a player you wanna keep

17. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

LOL!

King1 and awc713 like this.
  18. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yeah, McCann looks like he might be washed up. I don’t think the team is likely to move on from him this year for clubhouse political reasons but I’d be welcoming of him moving on sooner rather than later.

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Astros have a team option next year, which they will not exercise.

20. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Sure. That wasn’t what I meant though. I meant if they could find a way to move on from him this year I wouldn’t mind. But, as I said, doubt that happens for internal political reasons.