1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. texans1095

texans1095 Member

I think his tweet was paraphrasing what Luhnow said. But I think the description below was a summary of the show in general (what Mish had said about the team).

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  2. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I say go get manny Machado and Britton from the Orioles sacrifice all but Whitley and tucker.
    Your going to have the money freed up when keuchal and Gonzalez leave it's enough to keep machado.

If he wants to win and he wants to stay a champion champion and play with a guy who consistently gets on base then what's the problem with him staying?

Machado Altuve Correa Bregman Springer
    With tucker coming up and Whitley replacing keuchal would be enough offense and replacement to get you threw the hole ordeal. And if Morton retires beacock or McHugh. If Verlander loves it here then he takes a shot with a less then 18m cap hit. He wants to play till he is 45 ok we will let you try but not for 20m plus...
    He has already said he would stay and play.
    So it's simple get a juggernaut going make a dynasty and go from there

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

While I think Luhnow should kick the tires on Machado, what he does in free agency has nothing to do with whether Astros should trade for him. Astros would be trading for a half season.

BigMaloe and Nook like this.
  4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Would rather have Abreu happily playing 1B/DH than Machado the obnoxious soon to be free agent who demands to play a position he sucks at and where we already have a good player.

5. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

But what about Solar? Man that broken foot really screws everything up.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Bregman or Correa?

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Well, both, but he's not demanding to play 3rd.

Either way somebody is being asked to move off their position, and all 3 have sizable egos.

8. Buck Turgidson

I think Bregman is the kind of guy that would accept the challenge of LF, but I also think that Bregman is the better 3B of the 2.

Correa ain't going nowhere.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  9. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

1B Paul Goldschmidt is a guy from Houston I would be interested in, Joey Votto of the Reds Lefthanded bat, Brad Hand Closer

10. Buck Turgidson

Goldie is a pipe-dream. There is zero reason for them to trade him.

Hand is the man, but he's gonna cost and there will be multiple suitors.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Bregman was in LF as recently as Monday.

12. Buck Turgidson

For how many innings, and why?

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Switched in the 7th after White PH for Reddick and stayed at 1B, with Gurriel moving to 3B, Marwin moving to RF (ugh).

Granted, this was a Springer DH game.

14. Buck Turgidson

I know all these things, I was talking about making a semi-permanent switch to accommodate a guy like Machado (which I give about a 5% chance of happening).

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He's demanding to play SS on the Orioles for which he's the best SS. I have a hard time devaluing a player when he's right.

16. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros finished second in the bidding for Jose Abreu in the past.

The Astros have discussed getting him the past few seasons.

Abreu has one more year (2019) on his arbitration before he is a free agent.

So although I have personally heard nothing recently, it does make some sense that the Astros would have some interest.

Theoretically Bregman could play left field some and Gurriel could shift to third with Abreu at 1st some and then DHing as well.

Having said that, Abreu is not a good fielding 1st baseman. He is supposedly working on it this year, but he is a definite defensive downgrade.

His bat would be a good fit though, as he is likely a 3-6 WAR type bat and there is a belief in Chicago that he is getting stale being in a losing environment and would respond well to a trade to a competitive team.

I am still doubtful based on his salary, and likely salary demands next year and also the White Sox seem to value him more than other teams.

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

1st place team isn't trading one of their best players.

18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I want Houston at least in the bidding for Realmuto, Bour, Abreu, Castellanos, DeGrom, Archer, Iglesias, and Hand if any of them are being seriously shopped. Britton is really the only rental I would be interested in. Choo would be interesting if the Rangers are prepared to eat most of his contract.

19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Astros number one in Runs, No. 1 in pitching, No. 1 in fielding. We aren't trading for a bat unless someone important gets injured or falls of badly from their current production. Alvarez, Tucker, and Straw could all see the major leagues this year. 1B/DH is locked up with Guriel, Gattis, Gonzalez. The only weak link is Marisnik. Sure looks like Straw can replace his speed and defense. If his bat doesn't come around I could see a change in fifth outfielder. Somebody's gonna pay the price for Abreu and with Alvarez in the wings it won't be us. Machado doesn't want to DH. We have no place for him. I believe we will get another arm or two for the bullpen if the price is not too high. Luhow is building a dynasty and Whitley, Tucker, and Alvarez are all highly probable to be productive in the majors sooner than later.

If you really want to go to fantasy land, go all in next year: Trout 10/500M, Springer 5/150m, Trade Correa to the National league for prospects, Prospects for Realmuto. Gonzalez 3/30. Bregman to short, Gurriel to third, Alvarez to first. Tucker to left, Whitley replaces Kiechel. L

Springer RF
    Altuve 2b
    Trout CF
    Alvarez 1b
    Bregman SS
    Gurriel 3B
    Tucker LF
    Realmuto C
    Kemp/Davis/White or resigned Gonzalez DH

Verlander
    Cole
    Morton
    McCullers
    Whitley

Smith
    Rodon
    Giles
    Devinski
    Peacock
    McCugh
    Perez
    Britton

Reserves
    Kemp/Davis/White
    Straw
    Gonzalez

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The fact that it can happen on an "occasional" basis does give a pathway for making it semi-permanent, if they somehow pulled off an unlikely trade for him.

Even then, with the DH... and later innings subs... Bregman would still get time at 3B.