1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If they weren't worried about payroll, they would have made killing in this past free agency.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They’re not going to trade Trout for payroll reasons.

You’re better than this.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Over a 20 game (max playoff games) sample size, it’s doubtful a DH upgrade is the difference maker over what they have now.

Should always look to upgrade pitching options though.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I never said anything about Trout. Disagreeing with your statement that Astros aren't worried about payroll. You being right about Astros not trading for Trout has nothing to do with Astros thoughts on payroll.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I was referring to the Angels, and their mythical payroll concerns, not the Astros. My entire post was regarding the Angels franchise.... and questioning how they'd benefit from trading Trout regarding saving money and gaining prospects.

If you're going to start an argument for no reason... at least pay attention to what is being discussed. Again, like I said, be better.

6. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

On the Astros Message Board 1 fan wanted Mike Trout, I feel bad that person wasn't in the Front Office, Ed Wade and Bobby Heck selecting back then. They still selected George Springer and fell to the Astros with the 11th pick, Dallas Keuchel in the 7th round.

7. Buck Turgidson

Northeastern kids historically never got scouted as heavily as their warmer brethren. Due to the weather they didn't play as many games (fewer opportunities to scout) and the talent level up there was always seen as inferior. That's changed now with the internet/digital video era.

rockets1995 likes this.
  8. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Mike Trout is from New Jersey, Selected from High School. I really feel High School Kids have more of a chance to become a Superstar.

9. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

If the Angels wanted to trade for Alex Bregman, Forrest Whitley, Kyle Tucker, J.B Bukauskas, Yordan Alvarez, Francis Martes for Mike Trout. Angels would be division winners over the Astros in the Future, Superteam for sure.

10. Buck Turgidson

Peterson (?) on the CWS broadcast earlier today said that somewhere around 2/3rds to 70% of MLB players (excluding the Latins) went to a 4-year school. I could very well have misheard that though. His main point related to the amount of coaching time and attention that the players get vs. the minors.

11. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Nobody actually thinks they are trading trout. And btw, I’m almost positive the astros wouldn’t do the deal I proposed either. What I’m saying is that the only way to get something approaching true value for trout is to both get a top 10 player back, and get them off the hook for the worst contract (maybe) in baseball history. You can’t do it by trading prospects imo. You’d have to give them a face of the franchise star plus something else. In this proposed deal it’d be massive (like $220 million dollars over 4 years massive) salary relief and a HOF in the making in Correa, for one of the GOAT in Trout.
    But, as I said, nobody thinks they’d ever trade him. This is a thought exercise only.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  12. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

ok

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I actually don’t think his contract is that bad.

For once, a player is being paid what they are worth when they’re actually worth it... vs the normal MLB model of a player being underpaid for years, then overpaid once they’re past their prime.

14. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Trouts contract is fine. My hypothetical had the angels attaching Pujols to trout to trade for Correa. Pujols is the one with the worst contract in baseball history. Trout at 30 million, 40 million or 50 million isn’t offensive to me, but at 50 million even with how amazing he is that’d probably be enough to critically hamper whatever a small market team could do- and he’d have to play in a top 5 market type team.

travfrancis likes this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

#4015 J.R., Jun 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  16. raining threes

Dammit

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://twitter.com/adam_abramson1

Craig Mish is live on periscope rn and was saying Astros are all in on winning and will make trades to try extend their window to contend since the roster will look different

Says Keuchel is most likely gone after season, McCann could retire. Morton a free agent, Cole will be a free agent after next season. Says the Astros can trade guys like Derek Fisher, Yordan Alvarez, and Corbin Martin. Whitley + Tucker untouchable.

Also basically says they can’t keep the core together forever since it would basically be a 400M roster if they were to give contract extensions to everyone, but who knows

@wasteph_wes said Peter Gammons said on MLB Network that the Astros are interested in Jose Abreu. He said the White Sox have been scouting the Astros farm system leading many to think a deal is being discussed

Gammon says sources close to the organization (Astros) view Raisel Iglesias as a main trade target. As for Britton, Luhnow is in “wait and see” mode.

18. Buck Turgidson

We all know it, but I'd be real curious to see how that was actually phrased. Doesn't seem like something you'd outright say during the season.

19. texans1095

texans1095 Member

I don’t think Luhnow was the one who said this. Believe Craig Mish is the one who said that.

20. Buck Turgidson

I thought that was a paraphrase of an interview he had with Luhnow, I may have misread it.

texans1095 likes this.