1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros' Top 10 most memorable moments of the decade

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets934life, Dec 27, 2009.

1. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

http://brianmctaggart.mlblogs.com/

The 2000s were certainly a magical time to be an Astros fan. Houston opened a new ballpark, made its first World Series appearance and had a player reach 3,000 hits. In between, there were enough ups and downs to fill two decades.

With that in mind, I've compiled a list of the Astros' Top 10 most memorable moments of the decade. I'm sure others have strong opinions on this, and I'm open to hearing any differing opinions. These moments are the most memorable, which means they're not necessarily the best if you're an Astros fans.

I didn't include the Astros' six-pitcher no-hitter against the Yankees in 2003. It was more historical than it was memorable, and it certainly was not as memorable as anything else on the list. Craig Biggio's 3,000th hit was voted last season by the fans as the most memorable moment in the history of Minute Maid Park, and I agree. But it wasn't the most memorable moment for the franchise during the decade.

Here's my list of the Top 10 most memorable moments for the Astros in the 2000s:

1. Astros advance to World Series for first time. In the 44th season in franchise history, the 2005 Astros win their first NL pennant by beating the St. Louis Cardinals in an NLCS rematch. Jason Lane caught the fly ball in the final game at Busch Stadium to end Game 6 of the NLCS and give Houston a pennant. Sure, the Astros were swept in the Fall Classic and had to watch the Chicago White Sox celebrate a World Series championship on their own turf, but being the first Texas team to reach the World Series was unforgettable.

2. Craig Biggio reaches 3,000 hits. On June 28, 2007, franchise icon Craig Biggio became the first player in franchise history to reach 3,000 hits with a single against the Colorado Rockies. Biggio was thrown out trying to stretch the hit into a double, but he had five hits on what was nothing short of a magical night. The image of Biggio pulling good friend Jeff Bagwell onto the field in street clothes to share in the celebration was as terrific as it gets.

3. Albert Pujols homers off Brad Lidge in playoffs. Minute Maid Park was as loud as it ever has been, with the Astros one out from reaching the World Series for the first time. Lidge came onto to save Game 5 but watched the Cardinals scratch out a pair of baserunners in the ninth before Pujols hit a monster homer that silenced the crowd and won the game for the Cardinals. The Astros took Game 6 in St. Louis and advanced to the World Series, but Lidge was never the same in Houston. And no one will ever forget watching Pujols' majestic homer fly out of sight.

4. Chris Burke hits walk-off homer to clinch NLDS. The Astros' 7-6, 18-inning win over the Atlanta Braves in Game 4 of the 2005 NLDS had enough memorable moments for its own Top 10 list. But Burke's line-drive homer into the Crawford Boxes to win the longest postseason game in history and the celebration at home plate that followed goes down as one of baseball's greatest all-time moments.

5. Jeff Kent hits walk-off homer to beat the Cardinals in the NLCS. The Astros and Cardinals were tied at two games apiece in the 2004 NLCS when Kent ended a terrific pitchers' duel by hitting a three-run homer in the bottom of the ninth in Game 5 to win the game, 3-0, and get the Astros to within a game of the World Series. Alas, the Cardinals won Games 6 and 7 in St. Louis, but Kent's rare emotional outburst was a thing of beauty.

6. Craig Biggio's final game. After 20 years, more than 3,000 hits, three position changes and countless dirty uniforms, the franchise's most popular figure played in his final game on Sept. 30, 2007 at Minute Maid Park. Emotions ran high throughout the day and culminated when Biggio ran around the field and took a victory lap after the game.

7. Roger Clemens and Andy Pettitte sign with the Astros. Technically, these are two different events, but they were supposedly related. The Astros lured Andy Pettitte from the Yankees and to his hometown team after the 2003 season, and a month later Clemens came out of retirement to join him in a move that had incredible fanfare. They led the Astros to new heights in 2004 and 2005 and raised the roof at Minute Maid Park like never before.

8. The opening of Minute Maid Park. As a young baseball fan that grew up in the Astrodome, the thought of ever seeing the Astros play anywhere else took some getting used to. But the Astros' home, which opened in 2000, is one of the most picturesque in baseball.

9. The Astros trade for Carlos Beltran. I'll never forget former general manager Gerry Hunsicker announcing the trade for the dynamic Royals outfielder in the back of the press box on June 24, 2004. Beltran's stay in Houston was brief, but he provided so many great memories. He helped the Astros turn the season around and reach the playoffs, where he amazed the nation and made himself a rich man by hitting .417 with eight homers and 14 RBIs in 12 post-season games.

10. The 2004 All-Star Game comes to Minute Maid Park. The Midsummer Classic returned to Houston for the first time since it was played the the Astrodome in 1986, with the Astros' Roger Clemens starting for the National League. He was one of four All-Stars for the Astros, joining Carlos Beltran, Lance Berkman and Jeff Kent. It's always fun when your town and ballpark are on center stage.

2. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I would take #3 out and add the double play Bruntlett/Everett. Your #3 is a nightmare C'mon man :cool: Other than that good list bro.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This list is completely incomplete without the Bruntlett/Everett double-play.

4. Pocket Rockets

Man those events just brought chills to my spine...

As I read each event, I remembered exactly where I was and what I did once those events occurred.