1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros starting line-up and areas of greatest needs

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by MojoMan, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Major

Major Member

Yup - Donaldson's a guy you throw the kitchen sink at, but I wonder what they would have wanted. If they knew they were going to be this competitive this year, I bet the Astros push much harder for that trade. :(

2. Buck Turgidson

Ask the Cardinals.

1 person likes this.
  3. conquistador#11

a no. 2 pitcher would be nice. that's it.

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The guy I am getting concerned about is Marisinick.

After raking in April, he has been terrible since.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If he plays elite defense, they can stash him in the 9 hole (even with being more terrible than he is now).

The key is they need to not have terrible production at too many other places elsewhere... which they were having by having to play Villar/MarGo a lot before Correa came up.

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Astro fans are going to have to get used to the idea that long-held metrics might not necessarily matter much to the team. If Valbuena slugs .450+ and plays above average defense, I believe they're perfectly content with his performance.

When Lowrie gets back, assuming health, I bet he'll be different-position guy, playing every day while giving rest to various starters.

7. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Starting pitching is the main key. Ace or 2-3 spot pitcher...

If we go for an Ace (ala Hamels, Cueto), then other position players could very well move (Carter, Rasmus) and shake up the lineup some. I could see Singleton coming up, if Lowrie comes back healthy, I think he'll likely platoon at 3B and spell Correa and Altuve 1x a week or so.. easiest 'hole' to fill is pitching. The position players are fairly well situated and many of their avgs will improve throughout the season.

8. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I agree on Lowrie

And while I certainly want him back as soon as possible, cause he can certainly help us

His numbers in the early part of the year were better than he has ever done before, so expecting him to come back and produce like that over the long haul isn't realistic

9. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

I want Joey Votto.....

10. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

OPS average is usually in the high 900's.

He would make this offense beserk.

That contract is still ugh.

11. mick fry

mick fry Member

Let's try to keep this at a professional level.:)

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The thing is, how long will it be with a farm loaded in OF's, before a guy comes along whose offense offsets Jake's defense?

Especially if that guy is above average (perhaps not elite) on defense.

Elite defender or not, a BA of .114 (in June) or .202 (in May) isnt enough (IMO). He hasnt even had a BB all month.

I'll agree with you if he can produce 250/310/680 or so AND play stellar defense.

13. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Joey Votto could elevate the team to championship level.

Anybody on the Reds should be up for grabs.

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Isn't he owed $212MM over the next 8 seasons? And he'll be 32 next year. If they eventually cut bait with Chris Carter, I think they have to first move Singleton up and give him another chance. I just can't see them dealing for a 1B.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well, they can cross that road when they get there.

Hell, they overpaid Rasmus for one year for those exact concerns.

In the end, however, if Marisnick can simply be competent with the bat... but plays elite-level defense, he's still going to get plenty of playing time.

16. mick fry

mick fry Member

Not to mention Ashby said something to the effect the other night that Marisnick had the best arm in all of baseball? :eek:

17. mick fry

mick fry Member

Seriously, I like Jake but he has yet to show consistant on the money throws. I would go with Springer over Marisnick as far as accuracy goes.

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Don't get me wrong, I am not at this time suggesting we give up on Jake. But if he continues to hit under the Mendoza line, there are going to have to be some tough choices made.

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He said CF, and even then rated one CF's arm ahead of him. He by no means was claiming his arm was better than that of the better RFs.

20. mick fry

mick fry Member

:)
    yeah you're right I just remember him saying something to the effect as one of the best arms.I am guessing Trout is the one ahead of him.