1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Rotation

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by juicystream, Jun 20, 2017.

?

What is your starting 5?

1. Keuchel/LMJ/Morton/Peacock/Fiers

22.4%
  2. Keuchel/LMJ/Morton/McHugh/Peacock

26.3%
  3. Keuchel/LMJ/Morton/McHugh/Fiers

26.3%
  4. Keuchel/LMJ/McHugh/Fiers/Peacock

11.8%
  5. Other

13.2%
  1. texans1095

texans1095 Member

This is my rotation as well. Morton seems like he is best served for high leverage 1-2 inning situations out of the bullpen. Not that he hasn't been a solid starting pitcher. Just happen to think that Peacock and Fiers have proved that they can consistently throw 6 solid innings more than Morton has.

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

There's just too many variables to say.

Depending on how they pitch over the next month, i could literally make a case for all 4 of them to start game 3. If Peacock can keep going 6-7 like he has here recently, than he's a playoff starter no question,even if we do add another pitcher. If he starts going 4-5 again, then he is better suited to a Devo role.

Fiers has been excellent for 2 months now. If by season's end, if (big if)Fiers has been awesome for 4 months straight how do you not give him a start.

rmoreno and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I doubt going 4-5 innings matters much in the playoffs for the third starter. Peacock has regressed some from a quality standpoint, but still looks good. I still hope Astros add Gray so Peacock can be in the pen.

On Fiers, I keep hoping he is excellent, but think he is competing with McHugh and Morton for a starter spot. Morton looks like he'll transfer to RP in playoffs well. If Astros add Gray, I'm thinking McHugh and Fiers may be in competition for starter spot.

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

any advantage to going to a 6 man rotation to keep pitchers fresh for playoffs?

Major likes this.
  5. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

It's been discussed before, but most of the players don't like that. More likely to switch the 5th guy between a couple of starters and alternate bullpen and starting appearances.

6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

During last nights broadcast, the subject came up and it was said that there were enough off days later in the season to make a 6 man rotation unnecessary.