1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros' "POST-TRADES" LINE-UP can look intimidating! CHECK THIS OUT!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by woodtee, Aug 4, 2010.

1. woodtee

woodtee Member

As of today August 4, 2010, the team formerly known as the Lastros are looking pretty impressive. For being one of the MLB's weakest offenses all year, things are finally looking up! We are on a 7 game winning streak and after the blow-out of the Cards last night, I believe that our young, energatic new team can finally sport a line-up that can intimidate most of the rest of the NL!

I propose we all play manager for the day and see what would be the most "intimidating" line-up we can come up with. Here's mine:

1) M.Bourn/CF (.249) -- All-Star with speed, steals, ultimate lead-off hitter
    2) J.Keppinger/2B (.293) -- arguably our BEST player this year, solid 2nd
    3) H.Pence/RF (.276) -- our STAR in the making! Hitting great since poor start.
    4) C.Lee/LF (.246) -- doing much better lately as well
    5) C.Johnson/3B (.350) -- a .350 hitter protecting Lee, will help Lee's #'s!
    6) A.Sanchez/SS (.303) -- 2nd .300 hitter in a row
    7) B.Wallace/1B (.300) -- 3rd .300 hitter (to complete a deadly stretch)
    8) J.Castro/C (.198) -- our TOP prospect bats last for least pressure

I don't know about you guys, but I finally have a reason to get excited about this team! Now the pitching staff also can be exciting as well! As the manager, I would bring up Jordan Lyles to try to see if he could become that dominant 1st starter we all want him to be, but even if he can't yet, I will put him in at the 3rd starter spot for a rotation like this:

1) J.A.Happ (1.27 ERA)
    2) B.Myers (3.10 ERA)
    3) J.Lyles (*3.10 ERA in minors this year)
    4) W.Rodriguez (4.49 ERA) --can beat many other 4th starters!
    5) W.Wright (4.44 ERA) --or Paulino(4.40), Moehler(4.92), or Norris

Then next year, we can try out promising prospects. I will list the ones I think look promising and you guys let me know which ones you think may be most "big-league ready."

P: T.Bushue(4.32 ERA), D.Arguello(2.57), E.Walker(2.29), V.Valasquez(2.87) and only 18 yrs old, T.Shirley(0.00) 22 yrs old, 6'5" 220 lbs, J.Perdomo(1,66) 19 yrs old, M.Jones(2.48) 2o yrs, 6'7", J.Montero(2.18) 17 yrs, 6'4"

OF: J.D.Martinez(.346), L.Cruz(.360), F.Parejo(.342), J.Shuck(.298), B.Barnes(.268 w/21 HR), B.Pellegrinin(.306)

1B: K.Clemens(.257)M.Nidifer(.305)R.Ditthardt(.333)

2B: J.Altuve(.305) 5'5", A.Cartwright(.316), A.Simunic(.339), B.Orloff(.325)

3B: J.Medrano(.327),H.Rodriguez(.309),T.Burnett(.291), F.Campusano(.326)

SS: J.Villar(.538) in limited play, but 19 yrs old, J.Mier(low avg),

C: C.Wallace(.326), C.Mojica(.320), B.Afenir(.294), R.Pena(.305), C.Moronto(.364)

Anyway, I hope some of this research will give you Astros fans some hope for the future! I am a die-hard Clutchfan, but I also love my Texans and Astros... I'd rather see a light at the end of the tunnel than go down with a sinking old ship (with old has-been vets) Sorry to Lance and Roy,,, "We loved ya, but we really need this "youth movement!"

So you guys like my line-up? Or would you do it differently?

2. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I wouldn't bring up Lyles before at the earliest mid-season next year. Give him some time in AAA starting off next year.

I would like to see the Astros bring up Bogusevic and Locke in Sept. and give them as many starts as possible. They've both had nice years in AAA and one if not both should stick and we can dump Lee and alot of cash off on someone if even for a low level prospect.

3. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I wouldn't call it intimidating but it certainly has more blood running thru its veins. I would slot the bottom of the order Wallace, Castro and Sanchez but come next season I want Wallace hitting 3rd and Pence(if still here) batting fifth. I would probably start Lyles in RR next season, remember he is still only 19, while giving Paulino, Norris and Wright the chance to battle for 4 and 5 in the rotation behind Myers, Wandy and Happ.

As far as the farm system, I asked Jim Callis were we stood after the this last draft, signing of DDjr and the deadline deals and he said still toward the bottom. I think we have gotten better but still have no depth which separates us from teams like the Rangers and Rays. I like Jack Shuck and think if we move Lee or Pence he might be able to compete for a job but is built more for center and we have Bourn there. JD Martinez may be the next big call up ahead of Lyles but again it all depends on where Lee and/or Pence are playing next season. Also look out for Gaston at CC, he has bounced back nicely after a rough 1st half.

4. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Contributing Member

Manzella better not see any playing time when comes off the DL... Sanchez has been playing really well and it would be sad to see him lose his spot to Adam Everett 2.0

5. right1

right1 Member

What a genius move. Kevin Cash for Angel Sanchez. Could be the greatest trade ever. If Happ has a another great start today vs. the Cards, Ed Wade could reach DMorey status and make most everyone around here, including me, looks like a jack@$$.

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Tommy Manzella isn't in the same class as Adam Everett. Sad, but true.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

OBP of .325 means he's not the ultimate any hitter

8. Major

Major Member

3 of these 8 players has OPSes in the 0.500's or 0.600's. 2 more did prior to yesterday. Your "best player" has an OPS in the 0.700s. Your star in the making has an OPS lower than Keppinger.

Intimidating is not what I would use to describe that lineup. :) That said, they've been crazy hot the last week, which makes for some fun baseball. And watching them develop for the future will be fun.

9. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

I like your line-up. If Carlos Lee has a good year next year we could probably play .500 ball. Which isn't bad for a young team like this. The rotation looks good besides having Lyles in there. There's really no need to rush his development. I think he should be a September call up NEXT YEAR. I figure Wright will be bumped for Paulino when he gets healthy. Wandy will move up to the 3, and Norris will be our 4.

10. Poloshirtbandit

I only read this thread because of the CHECK THIS OUT!!!!!!! at the end.

11. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

You feel good by padding your post count by posting this crap?

12. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

It's been said that Manzella will be spending some time in the minors once he comes off the DL in order to work on some mechanical changes to his swing by Jeff Bagwell. We might not see him again until rosters expand.

13. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

Major covered pretty much all of it, but this lineup is about as far from intimidating as you can get.

- Bourn is a nice player, but will not be more than that unless he can sustain an OBP 40 points higher than he's posted so far this year.
    - Keppinger is playing well, but is currently the second-best hitter on the team ... which is not a good thing.
    - Pence, unfortunately, is probably never going to be a star. You typically are the player you're going to be by the time you turn 27, and at this point Pence is just barely above league-average. I hope I'm wrong because he's obviously a very likable character, but he's never come close to approaching the quality of his rookie season.
    - Lee is probably better than he's hitting right now, but he's a dead weight.
    - Johnson has been fun to watch, but he's not a .350 hitter. Best case is that he's serviceable if not spectacular.
    - Wallace and Castro both have high upsides, but prospects are always a crapshoot regardless of how highly they're thought of. Wallace's mostly likely comp IMO is Lyle Overbay, who is a decent hitter, but at 1B the offensive bar is set higher. And honestly, who knows what to expect from Castro? He could be a solid starter, or he could just as likely flame out.

14. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was thinking Sean Casey, who had a couple seasons with an OPS above 900 but for the most part was marginally better than Lyle Overbay. No more than 20 hrs, and with 30-40 doubles.

15. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

Casey's a good comp as well. Like Overbay, he was an above-average hitter, but probably average or below compared to other first basemen.

16. Poloshirtbandit

no.....

17. Buck Turgidson

Or maybe he's not? God forbid you actually let the kid play for a bit....

18. Zero2Hero

Zero2Hero Member

J.A. Happ is being wildly overrated. He showed that by being pulled in 2 innings last time he was out there.

19. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

And you would be wildly underrating him if you put too much emphasis on that outing, the worst of his career.

20. Zero2Hero

Zero2Hero Member

True, he had a very solid first outing after the trade. But I still think that Wandy is our No. 1 pitcher until someone else proves their worth.