1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Pitching Philosophy

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by lnchan, Jan 12, 2018.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/11/09/houston-astros-charlie-morton-next-great-pitcher

Great article...

What’s so interesting is that a different pitcher made each one, and the rise of each pitcher helps tell the story about how Houston has applied personalized data to pitching:
    1. Collin McHugh
    2. Lance McCullers
    3. Brad Peacock
    4. Charlie Morton
    I really wonder if we would have advanced sooner to the World Series if the analytics-driven approach was adopted with the likes of Tim Redding, Roy Oswalt, and Wade Miller...

pw1993 likes this.
  2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Absolutely awesome article. Thanks for sharing.

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Good read for sure. But one has to wonder whether fastballs getting hit a lot has to do with a lot of hitters keying on them. If the landscape changes, and hitters start seeing more secondary pitches, then they will key on them instead.

A good part of it all is the hitter guessing what the pitcher will throw. If I were facing the four above named pitchers, i might be shy to wait too long for a fastball that I can actually hit, for it may not come very often.